FODsters, I need advice - regearing my 690 Enduro R

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Right, second try to post - first locked up when I tried to add an image...sigh...

I'm ok giving up some highway performance to get a bit better performance offroad. I simply want to have to feather the clutch less on single/double tracks. Not covering any real high speed miles, but I'm not after dramatic changes either.

New chain is OK if needed.

Stock is 15/45 on the bike.

Thoughts on what a step or two down looks like?

One down on the front is cheap and easy. If that is still too high going up a couple on the back might be possible on the stock chain but doubtful. Going down to 13 on the front is less than ideal, something about angles and high chain wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on what a step or two down looks like?
No highway for my 690r

Have a 52 on it and top speed went from a buck plus to 96 mph or so. I find I'm in second and third most of the time now and doing a lot less shifting. Very little single track for me. Mostly fire roads 20-55mph.

This is what it looks like

10613135_1591378744418813_232771945059411944_n.jpg

I don't think Recluse has a clutch that will fit the 690R. You should confirm that with Recluse however because having an auto-clutch is like cheating and it would be nice to have one.

Going down one tooth on the front sprocket and up two teeth on the back should work with the same chain and make the gearing work a little better in the technical stuff.

First meet with this group, reservation made will be riding S10 if alone but if SO decides to come it will arrive on trailer. Looking forward to getting a little WV dirt on. Is there any official registration I missed or is it a show up and ride event?