Folding a Aerostitch roadcrafter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunch truck larry

Reaction score
I've been watching all these Youtube videos and even the Aerostitch website, I've been thinking about a trip with my buds and wanted to know if I could fit my Aerostitch into my side bag, trying to save the top box space. Will a roadcrafter fit into the side bags of an FJR. On the Aerostitch web site they show a guy putting one into a Honda ST.

Will a roadcrafter fit into the side bags of an FJR. On the Aerostitch web site they show a guy putting one into a Honda ST.
I have a Darien (kinda just the upper half of a RC) and AD1 (all with optional pads) and they really don't fit in my side bags or a 1550 Pelican unless I only have my tool kit on board. I and other IBR riders that are stopped at bonuses worried about them walking off carry a cable, stretch it through the jacket (and the helmet) and secure it to hard point.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I use the cable thing about 10% of the time, drape it over the bike about 45% and just wear it (or slip out of it) inside wherever I end up the other 45% of the time. (Did I do the math right?) Never give it any thought until I get off the bike.

Transitioning to the FJR's small and oddly shaped sidebags has driven me nuts, after many years of Givi E36s and a GL18.

I tried getting my two-piece Roadcrafter into the FJR's right side bag, and while I eventually got the lid mostly closed after several tries, it's a wonder I didn't break anything.

I usually prefer to keep the topcase for helmets and range bags, but that apparently isn't going to happen on this bike. I don't think I'll be trying to get the suit in there again.

I can fit my 'Stich in the Jesse bags on my GSA - but they are 60l each. No hope in the FJR sidebags but I can just fit it in my Givi topcase.

I usually just hang it over the windshield and lock it to the handlebars with a cable through the sleeves....

lunch truck larry posted: I've been watching all these Youtube videos and even the Aerostitch website, I've been thinking about a trip with my buds and wanted to know if I could fit my Aerostitch into my side bag, trying to save the top box space. Will a roadcrafter fit into the side bags of an FJR. On the Aerostitch web site they show a guy putting one into a Honda ST.
Don't believe Mr_Canoehead.

I commute in my R-3 Aerostich almost every day. Roll it up in 20 seconds and slide it into the starboard side hardcase. Fits nicely there.

See the Aerostich website for their video on how to roll it up: nest the kneepads, and start rolling with the kneepad "curve".

My Roadcrafter one piece will fit in one of my FJR's saddle bags but I have removed the armour. I do not think one with the armour would fit

Now y'all have me wondering if my 2-piece Classic will fit in a side bag. With my added D3O back armor, I'm thinking I'll have to get creative...or just use the Tenere with it's cavernous bags!

--G

I don’t have the roadcrafter. I have Dariens. I know the RC will fit because hud said so. But I’ll say that the Darien jacket alone fills up my sidecase pretty full.

While Mr. Lumberg may not have seen me roll it and stash it, he's seen me ride in it, park, and appear in shorts and boat shoes before he got out of his own gear.

Bearing in mind Fred W's note that the R-3 is more compact, I'll provide more detail .... I commute into midtown Atlanta most days, so my armor is in place. As I write this, my FJR is in the parking deck with the Stich in the starboard sidecase and my helmet and gloves safely hanging on TownsendFJR1300's locking helmet hanger. (I don't think the suit will roll up with the back pad, but I've never tried.)

Here's the company

that shows how easy the things are to put on and take off.

The dude got off his bike. I got off mine. I looked back. He was in shorts and a T-shirt and here was no roadcrafter in sight. Thats how fast he changed and stowed it. Part of the joy of my Darien set is that I can put on or take off head to toe spacesuit protection, leaving my boots on, in seconds. Someone at the office asked how long it took me to take off all that gear. A fellow coworker (and rider) piped up (in his George Straight drawl) and said around 20 seconds. Ive watched him. The ease of donning and doffing, and comfort of stich has resulted in me riding a whole lot of miles in full gear that I would not have (ridden in full gear) previously. Stop, drop, and roll, bitches.

Footnote- this post, as with most, was written with quotation marks and apostrophes, which enhanced readability and clarity. As usual, only commas and parentheses survived. Thanks for muddling through who said what.

I should mention- I have a coated cable and combination (carabiner) lock that I use to secure helmets and/or stich when needed. Takes up no room when not in use. Great option to have, especially if you are traveling and your bags are already full.

Thanks ,Uncle Hud .After trying a whole bunch of different folding sequences , I got it figured out ,don't even have throw it down on the ground to fold it up. I do have a R-3 with only the shoulder & knee pads ..I think that that's the only combination that will fit . So the answer is,,, YES! you can fold a roadcrafter onesy ,and stow it into your saddle bag.

I've got a two-piece RoadCrafter and with a bit of creativity I can get it into the side bag, but it's really really difficult. Closing the door so that the latches can engage was a process which *almost* resulted in me pushing the bike over! So now I put the helmet in a sidebag and the AeroStich in the 50-liter topcase, if I'm trying to hide everything away.

Some of you guys must have some very big suits.My one piece with all pads size 46L fits and folds in my side case.