Forget your troubles (NY) ride - Sat., June 27th, 2015

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Aldea

FJR/Concours Pilot
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I put this all together on short notice and thought I'd pass the word here.

Come forget your troubles and spend a full day "in the wind". I've laid out a scenic ride up through the Catskills. Our destination will be the Heartbreak Hotel in Jefferson, NY, where we will have a delicious lunch and may be mend a broken heart. Our route will go via Hawks Nest and take us past Pepacton, Schoharie & Ashokan reservoirs. Here is a route link.

We will meet at Rhodes North Tavern (North Parking Lot) in Sloatsburg, NY at 8:30 with KSU at 9 AM. Come earlier if you want to enjoy breakfast at Rhodes or you can just have donuts in Port Jervis. You can expect to ride about 300 miles and get back to Rhodes around 6:30 PM. Possibly later if we take a lot of long breaks.

You are going right past my house. Unfortunately, I won't be able to join you unless something changes in my plans.

I have a suggestion for a change to your route that will only add five minutes. When you get to the Ashokan, turn left at Olivebridge onto 28A and take that around the reservoir. It will bring you out on 28 in Boiceville and take you on some twistier roads, though you won't get the same view of the reservoir that you get from crossing the weir.

There are a lot of other good roads, but most would add too much time to an already full day.

Watch your speed along Route 28, there are normally a lot of LEOs running radar, especially on weekends.

Thanks for the warning but I am well familiar with the LEO hazards on Rt-28. I've planned a pit stop at the Sunoco right by 28A but don't want to go that way this time. I reserve 28A for when I want to go through Kerhonkson and take either US-44/NY-55 or NY-52 East out of the valley.

I miss the old days when we could ride along the Ashokan Dam before they closed it to motor vehicle traffic.