Fork seal dimensions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris G

Reaction score
Does anyone know the fork seal dimensions? I don't want to order Yamaha seals and wait on them when an aftermarket seal will work just fine. Surprised one is weeping with only 16k.

Don't know dims but just discovered one of my 04 seals leaking at 17k. Is this "normal wear and tear" or would it be covered under the YES warranty?

Thanks, George

They are a "wear item" and not usually covered under warranty. Both of mine were replaced around 25K (I mean, its coming apart for 1, why not do both?)...after market fork springs done at the same time since it was apart.

Google Link: fork seal site:fjrforum.com

There are many reasons why a fork seal could start leaking: road grime, bug skeletal pieces, whatever. Sometimes you can clean the "matter" out with a business card (an old dirt biker's trick). Since I was 3 weeks away from a trip to WFO-6 in Park City, Utah from Sacramento, CA...I didn't want ANY recurring problems on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I teach MSF classes and use the FJR for the demos. Probably the number of "quick stop" demos it's seen had an effect on the seals dying early.

I did find demesions for the 03 seals and assume they are the same for 06. 48x61x11 is what i came up with. Doesn't matter though because the aftermarket ones i found are more expensive than the factory Yamaha parts.

They are a "wear item" and not usually covered under warranty. Both of mine were replaced around 25K (I mean, its coming apart for 1, why not do both?)...after market fork springs done at the same time since it was apart.
Google Link: fork seal site:fjrforum.com

There are many reasons why a fork seal could start leaking: road grime, bug skeletal pieces, whatever. Sometimes you can clean the "matter" out with a business card (an old dirt biker's trick). Since I was 3 weeks away from a trip to WFO-6 in Park City, Utah from Sacramento, CA...I didn't want ANY recurring problems on the road.
Thanks, MadMike. My bike sees no hard use as I ride solo, fair weather, longer trips. Looks like it'll be my nickel but I'll ask the dlr just in case...

I teach MSF classes and use the FJR for the demos. Probably the number of "quick stop" demos it's seen had an effect on the seals dying early.
I did find demesions for the 03 seals and assume they are the same for 06. 48x61x11 is what i came up with. Doesn't matter though because the aftermarket ones i found are more expensive than the factory Yamaha parts.
1) I'd assume that the repeated "emergency stop" compresses the forks past where the "bug deflector" keeps them clean and collect an inordinate amount of road grime, etc.

2) According to the Yamaha parts fiche at Ron Ayers.com they are the same seal.

Last edited by a moderator: