Found an 06 with 43K miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordBoy33

Reaction score
Looking for my first FJR (first sport-tourer). Found a 2006 A for sale with 43K miles that appears to be in good condition. Original owner's been changing oil with Mobile 1 every 5K and lubing the rear end every 10k. Other than that and tires, its had no maintenance: no valve check, no fork oil, no brake pads/fluid, no plugs etc. Still has a few months left of the YES warranty.

Any considerations or things to check?

Thanks!

Looking for my first FJR (first sport-tourer). Found a 2006 A for sale with 43K miles that appears to be in good condition. Original owner's been changing oil with Mobile 1 every 5K and lubing the rear end every 10k. Other than that and tires, its had no maintenance: no valve check, no fork oil, no brake pads/fluid, no plugs etc. Still has a few months left of the YES warranty.

Any considerations or things to check?

Thanks!
ECU recall, early 06's speedo recall, ignition recall?

I'll probably get flamed as its Friday but... I didn't change my plugs till I did the valve check at 28,000, the valve's didn't need adjusting and the bike didn't run any better with new plugs. We put a hundred K on cars and they don't put near the quality plugs in auto as they do the FJR's.

My fork bushings I was told by a very reliable form member that my bushings had another twenty thousand left on them and I have forty one thousand on it. But he also told me I was anal as I drain, flush with kerosene, flush with light fork oil then refill with quality oil every tire change or 10,000 miles. That bike being a Gen II most likely needs bushings.

Brake pads get on your knee's and look, I mean come on you got eye's. Brake fluid should be changed at least every other season, end of the world no.

The motor and rear drive should be fine with that maintenance schedule, I change my final drive every oil change but what did my friend say anyhow.

Sounds like a Fifty Five hundred Dollar bike because if you pay a stealer to do all of that for you the bill will make it a Sixty five Hundred dollar bike and you didn't say what the tire's looked like, hope you at least kicked them. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be checking it over tomorrow (yeah, the easy stuff like brake pads...thanks!), which is why I'm asking now. I hear the front tire is new and the rear has some life left on it. The ECU recall was done, but he didn't mention the others. I'll ask. I agree with you on price, and I'll probably get a factory manual and take of the work it needs myself vs going to the dealer. Thanks.

Regardless of how good the bike looks, with no maintenance other than oil changes for 43K, the owner is a moron. Check the bike over really well and make sure everything works. Especially check the 2nd gear dogs and evidence of rough shifting. Plan on spending a couple weekends going through everything, changing fluids, plugs, valve checks and other items that have been neglected.

YES is a plus and hopefully you have a dealer that will go to bat for you if something needs repairing under warranty. FJR's are a proven, reliable platform but it does require a little TLC once in awhile.

Just my $.02!

Good Luck.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of how good the bike looks, with no maintenance other than oil changes for 43K, the owner is a moron. Check the bike over really well and make sure everything works. Especially check the 2nd gear dogs and evidence of rough shifting. Plan on spending a couple weekends going through everything, changing fluids, plugs, valve checks and other items that have been neglected.

YES is a plus and hopefully you have a dealer that will go to bat for you if something needs repairing under warranty. FJR's are a proven, reliable platform but it does require a little TLC once in awhile.

Just my $.02!

Good Luck.

--G
+1 I would be very reluctant to buy this bike with no valve checks in 43k miles, that's just foolish to let it go that long. Might be fine but then again maybe not. A tight valve clearance can lead to a burnt valve and expensive repair.

After looking over the bike with a family member that has an '05, I decided to buy the bike for $5500. It rides well and looks good. With what we were able to discern, the owner treated it well, with the exception of the valve check and other scheduled items, etc. It comes with a power commander, heated grips, two Cee Bailey shields plus the stock one, a new front tire on the bike and a new back one on the way (Avons). I'll do the skipped maintenance, get the valves checked and the remaining recall(s) done to bring it up to par.

Thanks for the input! I look forward to being a part of this virtual community.

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

Looks pretty clean from 2400 miles away...screaming deal too! Get the scheduled maintenance up to date and everything should be fine.

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the bike.

--G

Again, sleek and nice.

+1 on getting a great deal.

May I be the first to offer up the first farkle idea....Sliders!!!

Congrats!