Fresh meat for the Utah 1088!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Fresh Rubber Meat, that is! ;)

Good riddance, you POS Michelin PR2s; Welcome back, Avon Storms!

freshmeat.jpg

Glad to have mounted up these new Storm 2 Ultra's tonight, as I will be riding 2-up during this year's Utah 1088.

Which is gonna be... a different Utah 1088 experience for me.
bling_cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Warchild what was the problem with the PR 2's ?
Well, this is NEPRT material, but to answer your question.... the PR2 has a very funky wear pattern over time, and actually howled in turns. You could even feel this funky wear pattern during turns at slower speeds. It was just distracting... and although I did have a fair amount of tread left, I was weary of putting up with these tires. Too, I'm not going to risk anything while carrying a pillion.

Who will be piloting the bike? It'll be quite a site to see you riding pillion.
Har! :lol: I will be flying the FJR, thank you... ;)

This gorgeous creature you see below will be the Navigator...

ellensberg.jpg

bling_cool.gif
bling_cool.gif
bling_cool.gif

A different daughter? So . . . who is the lovely navigator?

Funny how different issues and wear experience for tires results from rider to rider and/or from local riding area to area (as in differing road surfaces). Not a fan of PRs, but I get no wear, hum or vibration strangeness on PR2s at all.

My Pr2's did the same thing-so loud that the first time I heard it, thought the final took a shit. 'Bout 3/4 worn when it started. Angels are heavenly. B)

Good riddance, you POS Michelin PR2s

Let the cries of blasphemy begin. He defiled this forum's magic kool aid! Myself, I'm nearly through my PR (one's) which I have not liked, and I think I'm going to try the new Bridgestone BT023 GT's....

Wow, you all be drinking the same rancid kool-aid. I've only been through one PR2, (currently at 13,500 miles and just about shot) and I love it. No howl or funky wear pattern.

And after running two sets of Storms: Never again!

A different daughter? So . . . who is the lovely navigator?
Her name is Lisa (man, we have a lot of Lisa's around here), and we just finished a run to Leavenworth, Washington this past weekend... we had pretty killer time.

She loves riding with me, though I believe we are going to have to do something in the way of a "hair glove" for her before the Utah 1088.....

airfield.jpg

As to the hair glove, I noticed this as listed swag for WFO-9: wrapter

I've seen leather lace ups for women somewhere, but really want to find something that works. I am always wrapping Scrunchis (whatever the spelling) around Judy's hair after she dons her helmet, and still she's getting the ends of her hair beat to death. If'n you come up with something that works in protecting Lisa's hair, please post it up.

Good thing you have ONE bike without a fuel cell on it, BTW. ;)

As to SkooterG's comment on the PR2s -- I agree, but I have mere carcasses left at 9,000 miles. I can't imagine getting 13K on anything short of a car tire unless I go back to riding a Honda 90.

Dang Dale, I'm still having to live vicariously through you (was with motorcycling and now with your woman) :D

As for tires, here is what I've found.

1. Bridgestone BT 20 (were okay for the little time I had them on) Bought bike with 4500K and removed them at 6000K.

2. Bridgestone BT 21 (sucked ass). Were good until about 3500K and then went to shit. Well documented here.

3. Avon Azzaros (Great Tire). I got them at the blow out price of $125 for the set. :) They had very consitant wear up until I removed at 9000K

4. PR2 (so far I like). I've only got around 2500K and I've found all tires are good for first 3000K or so. Time will tell how they wear for me, but for how I ride, I like them as much as the Avon's.

Just my thoughts,

Dave

She loves riding with me, though I believe we are going to have to do something in the way of a "hair glove" for her before the Utah 1088.....
Let me know if she likes the wrapter you ordered. I can send you a few more (HUGE DISCOUNT free :D ).

Just knowing the amount of miles you cover would be sweet advertising for my wife.

Let me know if she likes the wrapter you ordered. I can send you a few more (HUGE DISCOUNT free :D ).
Just knowing the amount of miles you cover would be sweet advertising for my wife.
Yeah, I am hoping it arrives at her house before her flight to Salt Lake City next Thursday.... 'cause it will be put to the test right away!

And at the "Wild Wild West!" rally in mid-July..... and then at the IBA National in Denver in August....

Yeah, the woman does have some serious red hair that needs serious restraining power....

mega-hair.jpg

Fresh Rubber Meat, that is! ;)
Good riddance, you POS Michelin PR2s; Welcome back, Avon Storms!

freshmeat.jpg

Glad to have mounted up these new Storm 2 Ultra's tonight, as I will be riding 2-up during this year's Utah 1088.

Which is gonna be... a different Utah 1088 experience for me.
bling_cool.gif
That's an awfully wide front tire

:jester:

Wow, you all be drinking the same rancid kool-aid. I've only been through one PR2, (currently at 13,500 miles and just about shot) and I love it. No howl or funky wear pattern.
And after running two sets of Storms: Never again!
As much as it pains me to admit this to my rubber-side-down-challenged friend.......I agree 100% on every single point. I got about 13K out of my PR2 rear from the IBR last year. I could notice a slight scallop with my hands, but no where near an ME-880 and no howl I could tell. The PR2 front I had made it over 18000 miles and the best wearing front I've ever had.

My NEPRT-worthy rating for tires for combination of mileage, wear, and scalloping would be:

PR2

PR

Azarro

ME-880

Storm