front end lowering

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a300mayer

Reaction score
got my kouba lowering kit for the rear wich looks pretty simple to install. could anyone give me a heads up on the best way to lower the front forks with the tube adjustments allens. is it better to do it on the center stand with the front wheel touching the ground or should i jack the front up. im thinking if the front wheel is on the ground when i loosen up the bolts that the weight of the bike may push the forks up too far. but if the front wheel is off the ground when i unbolt the forks how hard will it be to push the forks up where i need them. any suggestions or help would be appreciated. i know their is a right and a wrong way and i know i can find the right way on this site. just trying to save a headache. thanks in advance.

Get bike on center stand (have fun!) Put a 1x6 spreader under front of engine and take some of weight off the front end. Loosen allen bolts and drop triple tree an even amount on both sides before retightening bolts. I stayed with 1/2 inch drop on front and have noticed no change in handling, but then I don't push real hard.

I did the same and still use the factory side stand.
thanks for the help. im gonna do it this weekend. sounds like it might be tough to get the bike on the center stand after the koubas are installed. i enjoy every aspect of the fjr but i think it is too tall for the average rider. i know the 08 has an adjustable seat wich would be nice. i would also like to see them put some sort of small sporty grab handle on the outside of the bags so you could open and close them without pawing up your wax job. im sure their are a lot of things we would like to have or change but this is already an incredible motorcycle. im looking forward to seeing what they have done for the next model. my 05 is a stepping stone as i plan to get a new model if they offer another color other than the 08 black. nothing against the black, it looks really nice but to hard too keep clean. ive had one black bike and one black car and swore id never have another. thanks again.