Front Fairing Paint Protection Mod (Gen III)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wlfman

Reaction score
I thought I'd share my solution for protecting the front fairing piece (right behind the front wheel) from road grime on my Gen3. (not sure if the Gen1-2 have this panel.)

Very easy to do.

Tools:

Philips Head Screw Driver

#4 Allen wrench

Plasti-Dip

--------------------------------------------------

This is the piece we are working on:

PhotoSep18170706_zps608936e1.jpg

You remove it by removing the two allen bolts in the recessed holes seen above. One allen bolt underneath the bottom of the fairings, and one allen bolt in each side fairing (location shown below);

PhotoSep18173446_zpsc85c976a.jpg

Once you have removed those 5 fasteners you can gain access to the backside of the panel, to remove 2 phillips screws located on the right side.

PhotoSep18170753_zps651c221b.jpg

I used a stubby screwdriver. You have to reach up and under to get to them;

This is the view of the "inside" where the screws are

PhotoSep18173552_zps69cd37ff.jpg

Once you have the panel out clean it up really good and let dry.

Then take a spray can of Plasti-Dip (comes in several colors: Black, Gray, White, Red, Blue, and Yellow). I used Black. ($6 at Lowes/Home Depot)

PhotoSep18170841_zpsb1c1e283.jpg

The nice thing about this stuff is that if you don't like it, or it gets "chipped" you can just PEEL it off and you will never know it was ever on there (It will NOT harm your paint.) It has a slight textured feel to it (not smooth like paint)

You want to do at least 4 light coats (I did 6 because of the abuse it will take). Letting each coat dry half an hour before applying the next coat. Then wait 4 hours after final coat before installaing.

I also used some regular flat black spray paint to paint the heads of the two allen bolts that go in the panel.

Final Product:

PhotoSep19143828_zps1be25728.jpg

Enjoy
punk.gif
bike.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
While yer at it, you might consider replacing the OEM plastic radiator 'guard' with something more robust. A hole in your radiator can ruin your day. DAMHIK
Got any links to good ones?
Hey Wlfman, there's a member over on the FZ1oa that custom builds them. I don't know why he wouldn't be interested in making them for the FJR if he can get a template. [email protected]

FZ1guard25.jpg

How does the tool-dip hold up to regular washings?

Now where can you find it in 2014 Candy Red? :)

Hand washing with an automotive soap won't hurt it.

People have actually 'painted" entire cars with this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
While yer at it, you might consider replacing the OEM plastic radiator 'guard' with something more robust. A hole in your radiator can ruin your day. DAMHIK
Got any links to good ones?
I have one of these on my '11

Note the COX website says you install with zip ties, but in fact it uses the OEM bolts, and effectively replaces the flimsy stock plastic unit.

I believe if you order one from Bike Effects, you may be eligible for a forum discount

There are a couple other radiator guard manufacturers: radguard and smoto

Beowulf used to make a nice stainless steel one, but I can't seem to find any on the weeb.

Two ideas........I used clean adhesive film on the panel. You can buy clear plastic film at Tap Plastics and cut to what ever size you want. When it get a little grody you just peel it off and re-apply another. It will keep the color in tact.

For protecting the radiator, I went to Office Depot and bought a black steel mesh file holder and cut it to fit the space just behind the plastic grill. No screws or fasteners needed. It sets in the channel at the bottom of the plastic grill. Cost was less than $5.00 which it about $95.00 less than the fancy stuff out there.

For protecting the radiator, I went to Office Depot and bought a black steel mesh file holder and cut it to fit the space just behind the plastic grill. No screws or fasteners needed. It sets in the channel at the bottom of the plastic grill. Cost was less than $5.00 which it about $95.00 less than the fancy stuff out there.

Art.......got any pics of this you can post??

Two ideas........I used clean adhesive film on the panel. You can buy clear plastic film at Tap Plastics and cut to what ever size you want. When it get a little grody you just peel it off and re-apply another. It will keep the color in tact.
I actually like the black in contrast to the gray.
smile.png

Got any photos of the OD Rad Guard? That sounds like a good idea. (and CHEAP
punk.gif
)

Art.......got any pics of this you can post??
+1! (or is it +2?)

Great simple & cheap idea, I like that!

My bottom solid piece on my bike is well bug and chipped, but the spray coating does seem like a great idea, too; I need to try that when(ever) I get this bike cleaned up.

As with other bikes, I will be doing some of the lower fairing with Duplicolor Aerosol Bed Armour this winter. Holds up better and is more permanent than Plastidip.

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/bedArmorAerosol/

I have used this for many things like rocker panels on cars, to cover spots that are rock chipped, sprayed on tank panels, saddle bag, tour pack tops.... Makes nice traction pads for steps on trailer rails/fenders if you put down a heavy wet coat, than put some sand on it and spray a follow up coat.

One of the things I like about the Plasti-Dip is that its NOT permanent.

I have used the Dupli-Color stuff on the wheel wells of my truck.