Front Fork Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadGlide

Reaction score
Ok, I've checked the manual, FJRTech, this Forum, and FJRInfo.com and still can't find the exact front fork oil capacity for my 06. I'm trying to change out the fluid and flush the forks but don't know exactly how much to put back in. I don't want to measure the oil I take out because it may not be correct. Sorry if this has been reviewed before but a "search" did not help. Dale, HELP!

Fork oil capacity is never measured in fluid volume. It's always measured in height as measured from the top of the fork tube with the tubes collapsed and springs removed and it's in your manual. Reason being is that a few millimeters of height variation can make a big difference in performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alot of it depends on you too. How much you weigh and how you like your suspension setup are contributing factors to the amount of airspace you have. If I remember right from the Wilburs group buy waaay back when, people were reporting back anywhere between 90mm to 120mm airspace recommended to them from Wilburs.

Ok, I've checked the manual, FJRTech, this Forum, and FJRInfo.com and still can't find the exact front fork oil capacity for my 06. I'm trying to change out the fluid and flush the forks but don't know exactly how much to put back in. I don't want to measure the oil I take out because it may not be correct. Sorry if this has been reviewed before but a "search" did not help. Dale, HELP!
"16.) Service manual won't tell you this, and the shops won't do this, but I refilled, pumped the forks, and again drained to flush the forks. The original oil at 8K miles/13 months was very dark with some metallic flakes. The flushed fluid came out darker than it went in, so I think this is an important step and only costs a few more $ for oil. I hung the forks upside down from a rope and drained overnight after flushing, but 20-30 mins should be sufficient.

17.) Refill oil to appx. 100mm from top of fork tube at full compression. Compress/decompress fork leg several times to distribute the oil in the dampening stacks. When the hissing stops, the air is removed. Recompress fork, press it down hard at the bottom part of the stroke it will slowly creep to the bottom. Measure oil height and adjust back to 100mm. You could experiment with different heights using caution and common sense, but I wouldn’t go past 90mm (except for some other models, which may be 79mm stock!!!). Again, refer to your service manual for country/model year variances!"

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=47

Thanks guys. I looked right over the 100 mm measurement in the Tech guide. DUH! I can always count on you guys to make me feel stupid. Thanks again.

Wade

The service manual for the '06 says this height is 92mm. As mentioned above, this is without the springs installed. Were the first gen bikes different?

The service manual for the '06 says this height is 92mm. As mentioned above, this is without the springs installed. Were the first gen bikes different?
https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=47

"You could experiment with different heights using caution and common sense, but I wouldn’t go past 90mm (except for some other models, which may be 79mm stock!!!). Again, refer to your service manual for country/model year variances!"

This is for the '03 and '04 models and most likely the '05 as well (1st gen). The '06-'08 are 2nd gen. and may have a slight difference.

bump