Fuel burning rich

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steinbis

Reaction score
I have a power commander on my fjr and I had it put up on the dynojet, tested, and set for economical riding. The plugs were also changed at the same time. This was spurned by my service mechanic saying that the fuel was not completely burning and was running really rich. Once he checked it all out, it smelled better and ran a little better. Now I am having the same problem again. The fuel is burning rich. all the adjustments were done about a year ago and I have put on about 15,000 miles.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this without having to reset the power commander? I am thinking I can replace the plugs if that is the problem. I have changed the oil and cleaned the air filter.

Also, what are the symptoms of a failing power commander, and lastly, how often should I have to have the power commander reset or checked?

I commute daily on my bike and I ride a lot outside of the commute. Looking to make this bike last.

Any help would be great.

Are you running with the O2 sensor unplugged? (Should) What kind of fuel mileage are you getting? It might be worth trying another map on the PC. There are a number of maps people have developed and posted. I doubt it is plugs or air filter (unless its badly plugged).

Plugs may help but that is just a bandaid. If it is running rich you need to find the source. My 03 has a PC and it's been fine since 05 when it was installed and mapped on a dyno. Mine runs with the O2 sensor plugged in . I don't know much about the inner workings. Is your fuel economy way down??? That would indicate a rich condition. I'm sure the smart ones will chime in soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome steinbis,Reconnect the 02 sensor,and the problem will solve i believe.Immediately you will notice much less smell.But,you will not take all the power from your PCIII.

Or try an other map: Wallys map: this map

https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/PC-III.html
When I ran the PC3 with the O2 connected it didn't run very good, and the CEL came on. My fuel economy tanked. But then again, this was a 2006; first gen may be different?

Welcome steinbis,Reconnect the 02 sensor,and the problem will solve i believe.Immediately you will notice much less smell.But,you will not take all the power from your PCIII.

Or try an other map: Wallys map: this map

https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/PC-III.html
When I ran the PC3 with the O2 connected it didn't run very good, and the CEL came on. My fuel economy tanked. But then again, this was a 2006; first gen may be different?
I run this mode (because i don't like the bad smell from the exhaust) in my Gen1 without a problem.The only problem is that i feel a bit less power..Really i don't know how it works in a Gen 2..

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no such thing as resetting a power commander. Every time the bike is started it boots up and loads the stored fuel map. The only failure mode I've ever heard of is complete failure - the bike won't run.

The first gen. FJRs don't need the fueling tweaked nearly as much as the later models, so I would suggest having your mechanic remove the PC. It can be left in place, but unplugged from the FJR wiring harness. Should be about a 15 minute job. Make sure the O2 sensor is connected. See if you like that better.

There's no such thing as resetting a power commander. Every time the bike is started it boots up and loads the stored fuel map. The only failure mode I've ever heard of is complete failure - the bike won't run.
The first gen. FJRs don't need the fueling tweaked nearly as much as the later models, so I would suggest having your mechanic remove the PC. It can be left in place, but unplugged from the FJR wiring harness. Should be about a 15 minute job. Make sure the O2 sensor is connected. See if you like that better.
It would be easier to load up a zero map.