Fuel grade for Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbacon

Reaction score
I have an 07 Gen II that runs comfortably on 87 octane fuel. I noticed that the Motorcycle Consumer News article on the Gen III calls for 91 octane. My question--is that the case? Is 87 octane no longer useable on the new bikes? Thanks in advance. I could ask at the dealer but generally that type questions baffles 'em.

Owners manual says minimum of 86 Pump Octane or 91 Research Octane. Pump Octane is the average of Research and Motor (actual test) octane: (R+M)/2

You'll often see that formula right on the pump.

The magazine was in error, they may have inadvertently looked at the RON fuel number. All FJRs of all Gen's still run on (R+M)/2 = 86 octane or higher.

Edit: I see RichDoyle was all over this while I was typing. At least we agree ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to both of you for getting me authoritative answers so quickly. I'm seriously looking to trade my GL 1800 in on a 2014 ES. I've always enjoyed filling up at the 87 pump while the guys on the "fancy" ST's have to use the high test stuff--silly I know but small things please me.

Thanks to both of you for getting me authoritative answers so quickly. I'm seriously looking to trade my GL 1800 in on a 2014 ES. I've always enjoyed filling up at the 87 pump while the guys on the "fancy" ST's have to use the high test stuff--silly I know but small things please me.
Pleases most of us FJR riders :)

While 87 octane works great for me, I also try to use gasoline from the Top Tier distributors. These retailers use more than the minimum detergent additives in gasoline (Costco advertizes 5-times more), and I'd rather do that than buy the Techron or Ring Free to add. I'll use any fuel on the road in a pinch, but I try to use the Top Tier brands since it doesn't cost any more.

NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT
laugh.png
It's a different world we're living in.....

NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT NEPRT
laugh.png
It's a different world we're living in.....
Well they had to quit moving 76 thousand times discussed topics there because too many thin skinned, gash whining, I didn't read what was suggested when I signed on noobs......

Get all butt hurt and start senseless debates over why.

Can't say I blame ya. Seems like every time ya go to the gas station, they're jacking the prices again. It jumps up 15 cents over night, then takes a month to trickle back down only to jump again whenever there's the slightest chance that the supply of fuel might be affected by who knows what. Gas prices. Ya gotta deal with it. But I can certainly see your point that the price of premium is even more irritating. You say, "...silly I know..." Being irritated about paying 20 percent more for something that's already way too much money isn't silly. It's one of the reasons I chose the FJR over some of it's competition. It's cheaper to own and operate. The fact that it uses regular instead of the more expensive premium is just one factor. But cha start adding them all up, and it does indeed please me as well.

Just curious, have you test-ridden an FJR yet? Any idea when you might do this?

Gary

darksider #44