Fuel Pumps; Gen 1 vrs Gen 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim'sonDFJR

Reaction score
It looks like I'm going to need to replace my Gen 1 fuel pump. (anyone have one in excellent condition for sale?) My question is I know there are differences between the Gen 1 pumps and those in the Gen 2 bikes; can I run the Gen 2 pump in my Gen 1 or do I need to make some modifications somewhere?

Thanks,

Tim

I don't think so as they signficantly changed the fuel injection system between Gen 1 and Gen 2. Regardless, go look at the microfiche and compare part numbers between 2004 & 2005 (likely the same) and 2006 on for several years (again likely to be the same as each other, but different than Gen 1).

Sorry, but I sold my Gen 1 with the tank. I was surprised to find a variety of pumps for the $100-$150 range on eBay.

Wait a minute. I seem to recall something about gen1 and gen2 fuel pumps being plumbed differently. One has an active return from the pressurized fuel rail, and the other doesn't. This allowed a unused port on the fuel pump to be used as an alternative way to hooking up an aux fuel cell, rather than drilling the tank to feed the cell.

This strike a bell with anyone far more mechanically minded than me (probably includes most people
smile.png
)?

Yes, NightShine is correct. The fuel system is different between 1st and 2nd Gens. First has fuel return line, 2nd and later do not.

Why not just buy one from a 1st gen? There are some on eBay.

agreed...what would be the advantage of putting a gen II pump in? just throw a gen I in or am I missing an upgrade