fuel tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No.

Nor have I heard of anybody wanting to do it because everybody I know prefers to keep fuel in their tank.....and not spill it on the ground when it expands substantially from changes in temperature.

I suppose the device might be slightly conservative, but would an extra 1/10 of a gallon really be worth the effort?

If having more fuel is that important to you...I suggest an auxiliary fuel cell and do it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
No.
Nor have I heard of anybody wanting to do it because everybody I know prefers to keep fuel in their tank.....and not spill it on the ground when it expands substantially from changes in temperature.

I suppose the device might be slightly conservative, but would an extra 1/10 of a gallon really be worth the effort?

If having more fuel is that important to you...I suggest an auxiliary fuel cell and do it right.
Good answer, I'm going to looking into adding the Summit racing plastic tank, I think it holds 4 gallons.

No.

Good answer, I'm going to looking into adding the Summit racing plastic tank, I think it holds 4 gallons.
I took a trip thru Alaska this summer on my FJR. I was never able to get under a half tank before I crossed an open gas station. I estimated I could have gotten 325+ miles per tank on this trip. What, may I ask will you be doing to need more fuel capacity than what a stock tank can provide? I can notice quite a difference in handling of my bike when the tank is empty compared to when it is full. For that reason, I seldom run my tank over half full if I have no plans to do anything but run around town. Bike is alot more flickable that way!

I took a trip thru Alaska this summer on my FJR. I was never able to get under a half tank before I crossed an open gas station. I estimated I could have gotten 325+ miles per tank on this trip. What, may I ask will you be doing to need more fuel capacity than what a stock tank can provide? I can notice quite a difference in handling of my bike when the tank is empty compared to when it is full. For that reason, I seldom run my tank over half full if I have no plans to do anything but run around town. Bike is alot more flickable that way!
I just want to know what you're doing to get 325 miles per tank. Or maybe what I'm doing wrong.

I just want to know what you're doing to get 325 miles per tank. Or maybe what I'm doing wrong.
The FJR's FI ECM tracks TB butterfly movement (over time) and allows 'closed loop' operation (running on the Lambda sensor) when no throttle movement is determined -- thus offering stoichiometric (or better?) operation and the concomitant excellent fuel economy.

Get yourself one of these...

331796_lg.jpg

Hook er up to the first unsuspecting cage...

:jester:

No.

Personally, for me, it's not the "more fuel" bit, it would be the "less spraying gas all over my tank" bit. My SV just has an open cylinder with no bottom, and by comparison I find I have a lot more problem with the FJR spraying gas through the little holes while I'm filling it. Most of the fuel nozzles I'm forced to use tend to form a spray that comes back out of the little holes.

On the other hand, using a dremel cutoff wheel on a fuel tank is a sport best observed from very far away.

The cup keeps diesel fuel out of the tank. Someone on this forum would have started a thread by now about putting diesel in their FJR if not for the gatekeeper cup.

No.

I'm going to sign up for the Iron Butt run which I think will be in 2011. 11 days 11,000 miles you would think about a bigger tank. I happen to be in Lawerenceville Ga. this year when some FJR riders came through. They stopped in from of McCrays had their picture taken it happend to be a check point where they pick up some points and away they blasted off. Both FJR's I saw had extra fuel tanks where the trunk is mounted. I think you are allowed 11.5 gallons total to ride in the race for the points and $$$. This years Iron Butt had 19 FJR's in this race out of 100 bikes that was saying something about the FJR. Too bad a BMW won the race this year.

I believe you will find that the Iron Butt is not a race. It is a friendly competition that has a timeliness element. :yahoo:

You might want to take up professional golf as a better source of income; I don't believe the $$$ you refer to is as large as some of the Open tournaments. Your mileage may vary...

Pepperell

I believe you will find that the Iron Butt is not a race. It is a friendly competition that has a timeliness element. :yahoo:
You might want to take up professional golf as a better source of income; I don't believe the $$$ you refer to is as large as some of the Open tournaments. Your mileage may vary...

Pepperell
It's not the money its the adventure. I like long runs (soon as I can figure out a better seat for my 08 fjr). I'm almost retired just looking for something to do. I'm sure I can't win the race but I would like to finish in the middle. I met one of the girls on this year who rode in the Iron Butt made me think I can do this too even though I'm an old man. When we ride out west I normal make my first stop in Omaha and from Atlanta that's just over 1,000 miles, then we ride 300 to 500 a day depending on the moutains and how fast we ride. I'm sure riders are reading this and saying is that all the miles they do in a day! Once I got stopped by a cop he clocked me at 105 mph on my ZX-11, he didn't give me a ticket because he couldn't beleive such an old man would be riding such a motorcycle. Sometimes it pays to be old and humble.

So to me the Iron Butt is a race, racing for time, points, even if you won the money it would pay back the money you spent on fuel and hotels.

The cup keeps diesel fuel out of the tank. Someone on this forum would have started a thread by now about putting diesel in their FJR if not for the gatekeeper cup.
Technically, that is the reason for the small hole in the bottom of the cup. Also keeps out leaded fuel nozzles (if you could find one). But the inlet could be small without being cupped down into the tank.

The reason there is a cup (rather than a flat restriction plate) is to ensure that there is a small air space at the top of the tank when full. The air space provides air that can be vented when the fuel in the tank warms (and expands). Without any air in the tank if the cold fuel (usually stored underground) were to warm significantly after filling the tank to the brim, it would vent liquid fuel, which is a pretty bad idea for several reasons.

The FJR's FI ECM tracks TB butterfly movement (over time) and allows 'closed loop' operation (running on the Lambda sensor) when no throttle movement is determined -- thus offering stoichiometric (or better?) operation and the concomitant excellent fuel economy.
Except if you have installed a PCIII and the O2 sensor is disconnected... :rolleyes:

(CMF - What the heck you doing writing sentences like that one at 2:45 AM?)

(CMF - What the heck you doing writing sentences like that one at 2:45 AM?)
Trying to answer 'meosborn's question:
Uh, yeah, answer. :dribble: I'm not smart enough to figure that one out. Thanks for trying though. :unsure:
You're welcome.

If you haven't modified your FJR's computer (added-on or un-hooked anything?), it'll keep adjusting for optimum fueling (determined by MamaYama's guys) -- as long as you don't "work the throttle". Normally, it takes only a small percentage of the FJR's horsepower to move the bike down the road at a steady speed -- if you're riding that way (riding at a steady speed and not moving the throttle) the computer knows it and adjusts the fuel mixture according to oxygen sensor readings from the engine's exhaust.

In that mode, it's relatively easy/common to get high MPG... :eek: :)

(twist the throttle, tho -- and no more high-mpg/lean/clean/etc. :eek: :( )

My riding partner was on a BMW 650cc. We rode all day at a steady 60/65 MPH. I had a big smile on my face until Dave says (during a fuel stop), hay Don, I've been getting an avg of 63 MPG .

Latest posts