Stumble off idle after tank removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I recently had the fuel tank off to replace the spark plugs. No big deal typically. the bike stumbled a bit when starting, eventually idled OK. I attributed that odd behavior to a air bubble intoduced into the fuel line from being removed. I went for a short ride, got about 100 feet and bike would not accelerate part 2-3K RPM. And stalled. I let it sit a little and it would start easily and idle OK but again no power.
Has anyone experienced this before? I had the tank off before a couple years (and thousands of miles) ago to replace the starter and had no trouble after reassembly.
Bike is a 2014 approx 50,000 miles.

TIA

Sorry for your issue. I just did the spark plugs a month or so ago. I raise the tank, prop it up with a piece of wood, and pull the 2 electric leads, and work in the remaining tight space. I have pulled the PC crap out and installed block off plates for more openness. I don't remove the tank.

My guess is something more than a little air got into the fuel line, or they are not hooked up tightly.

Others will reply soon, but my 2013 with 50k miles works GREAT !!!

When it stalls, what happens when you open the gas cap? I am wondering if the vent line to the gas tank got twisted / kinked / crimped.

Also, dumb question - how much gas is in the tank? When my tank has come off, I try to run it as low on gas as possible to make the empty-ish tank easier to carry.

Good questions.. The tank had just hit reserve before I took it off. I thought that could possibly be an issue so I put a couple gallons in today after I found the problem. So the tank was opened at least once. But problem did not resolve itself.

I'll dig a little deeper when I get home tonight. I'm hoping for a simple thing like a pinched fuel line or something..