Future FOD?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastJoyRide

Reaction score
I rode enduros many, many, years ago and every time I ride past a gravel road in the mountains on the Feej I must admit that I get a little twinge. I've found a 2006 with low klicks, a bash plate, hand guards and its calling to me!

Any contra-indications on this model? Save me from myself! At this rate we might have to come to Cali in October!

I am a HUGE fan of the DRZ400, I have one myself -a rather tricked-out one.

It won't win-out in any high-tech arena, it aint the fastest, it ain't the lightest, ...but it is very proven wonderful bike to have fun. IMO it'll give you all you need to have some wonderful dirt fun.

Here are my only suggestions:

If at all possible, go for the "E" model rather than the "S". The carb REALLY is that much better, as well as a few other little things. You then will want to have a few dollars handy for some simple farkles.

If you go this route, and I personally think it is a good way to go, don't hesitate to ask any questions, I'll answer any I can.

here is a pic of mine ....

P1010123.JPG

..and the yellow bike to the right is also a DRZ400

Answer the call. :D

John's recommendation is gold. They will do almost anything, practical, affordable and aftermarket goodies out the ying-yang.

Yeah! What they said. The DRZ isn't the best at any one thing, but IMHO you won't find a more versatile bike. I like them so much, I've got two of them one with DOT knobbies for dirt and street and one Supermoto. Like Reno John said, get the "E" model if you're strictly going to ride dirt, but the "S" model platform makes a great dual sport. If you're planning on ever moving to the high tax commonwealth of Kommiefornia and ever want to ride on the street, get the "S" model as they've put the kaibosh on putting plates on dirt bikes awhile back. Here's a pic of mine in Supermoto mode set up for the track. Go for it!

MotardLF.jpg

They have tons of bottom end and a very reliable machine. I just rode with several last weekend over in Moab. Some folks believe they need suspension work, but unless you jump a lot I think they are fine.

Great info - thanks guys! BC has just changed their legislation and will no longer title dirt-only bikes even if they have been retrofitted with all the street legal bits. If I could find a used street-titled E, they might grandfather the title, or ...

It looks like I will buy the "S" - it has already been fitted with the E spec sprockets, and an oversize plastic tank and it's had the airbox surgery and carb rejetting (which still doesn't make it as nice or as light as an E). For the level of off-road I'm likely to be tackling though, it should do just fine. I'm sure the farkling will begin shortly after it rolls home!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was looking at them today. Problem is I am to F&^%$@ short for the thing. So I was looking at the Kawasaki KLX250S Looks like a fun bike. Opinions on that one? Learning the dirt thing. Allthough.... https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thread/61...ering-a-drz-400
My 5'4" daughter has a 2009 and really seams to love it. Tame on power but it has decent components. My biggest bitch is no one makes an oversize gas tank for it yet. Geared for a zillion MPH from the factory so a smaller front sprocket is where we started.

Great info - thanks guys! BC has just changed their legislation and will no longer title dirt-only bikes even if they have been retrofitted with all the street legal bits. If I could find a used street-titled E, they might grandfather the title, or ...
It looks like I will buy the "S" - it has already been fitted with the E spec sprockets, and an oversize plastic tank and it's had the airbox surgery and carb rejetting (which still doesn't make it as nice or as light as an E). For the level of off-road I'm likely to be tackling though, it should do just fine. I'm sure the farkling will begin shortly after it rolls home!
In that scenerio, get the "S" get it plated and then let the fun begin (kehlin carb etc). No crime in doing the "S" ...Uhh, well maybe a misdemeanor, but certainly not a felony :)

My 5'4" daughter has a 2009 and really seams to love it. Tame on power but it has decent components. My biggest bitch is no one makes an oversize gas tank for it yet. Geared for a zillion MPH from the factory so a smaller front sprocket is where we started.
Uhhh, "really seems to love it" LOL, that's an understementI've seen that girl, she loves moto-bikes and that 250 is a dream machine for her.

090828FODS3.JPG

Was looking at them today. Problem is I am to F&^%$@ short for the thing. So I was looking at the Kawasaki KLX250S Looks like a fun bike. Opinions on that one? Learning the dirt thing. Allthough.... https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thread/61...ering-a-drz-400
I've been going back and forth between the KLX250 and the DRZ400 also and with a 30 inch inseam I know where your coming from. The KLX will be great on the trails and back roads but out on the highway is going to be a bit stressed to run 60-65 for long periods. The DRZ is a little heavier but more able to handle a long highway ride. They're both pretty tall bikes but right now I'm not worried about the seat height that can be handled besides touching the ground is overrated :huh: I came across this thread on ADV clicky about a guy who modified his KLR seat (I've got a KLR now) once he took the cover off the seat he found 4.75 inches of foam under there. Well shoot I could knock about 3 inches out of that and raise the bike back up the inch I've got it lowered now and still be an inch closer to the ground. But ultimately the best way to overcome the seat height issue is to improve your slow speed skills.

Oh, Dave congrats on the new toy :good:

I got a low mileage S model a few months ago. love it! I can squeze out over 70mpg. It is tall but it's pretty cool ride'n up high!

4453005510_19464a2c67.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be go to hell. RenoJuanita never mentioned having a suitable dual sport before! IMHO, there are many pseudo dual-sports that are great machines for comfortable prices. XR400's, Zookies and even some newer, but pricier mounts too. (think KTM).

You really can't go wrong - for this market segment. The problem arises when you decide you want to ride serious single track *and* take public roads back home. Trust me, as I now have over 6k invested in a stupid experiment... :unsure:

A buddy of mine has this one I think Clark Tank 2.7 gallons.

A buddy of mine has this one I think Clark Tank 2.7 gallons.
Nice try but the 2009"s are a little different and those that tied report it to be a PITA to make work. Thanks anyway though.