Garage Door Opener Thru Control Deck, Nice Looking, No Control Loss

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paramonkreel

Reaction score
I wanted to add a link to an instructable I made for how to put a nice waterpoof switch in to enable a garage door opener built into the top deck of the FJR. I think it looks pretty good and it doesn't require the loss of a control like the hazards. With a 5v regulator you could even makd the button light up.

In a few weeks of use it seems pretty accessible. The only issue has been that I sometimes reach past it and open the glove compartment.

https://www.instructables.com/id/FJR1300-Integrated-Genie-GM3T-BX-Garage-Door-Opene/

FZPOKB9I53I395M.MEDIUM.jpg

Thanks, paramonkreel, for the link to the instructable. I just spent probably 2 hours at the Sparkfun site where you got the switch looking at all the rest of the hobbyist electronics they have. Awesome!

Wasn't too sure what I was looking at, so I took a liberty:

FZPOKB9I53I395M_MEDIUM_en.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@mcatrophy thanks! I was considering putting an arrow or other highlight but figured the instructable would cover that. Forgot that people would need to see enough in the pic to want to link over.

I thought about buying an extra glovebox cover, drilling a hole for the button, and mounting a remote on the underside of the lid. But I still just have the conventional remote on top of my RAM mount, over my GPS. Yours looks very nice.

Nice idea! I thought about doing something similar, but then laziness/lack of time won out and I just velcroed a mini garage door opener to the underside of my glovebox lid. A little more effort involved when opening the door, but much easier to install.
wink.png

Nice idea! I thought about doing something similar, but then laziness/lack of time won out and I just velcroed a mini garage door opener to the underside of my glovebox lid. A little more effort involved when opening the door, but much easier to install.
wink.png
This took me about 40 minutes, but yes yours is definitely faster initially. After a few thousand openings I think we break even :)

Initially I just had the visor strap going down through the groove for the windshield at the top of the dash.