Garmin 2720 help needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbeavk

Bigbeavk
Reaction score
I got a Garmin 2720 off ebay and I figured since it came with the disc and all the accessories it should be a useful cheap tool to use on trips. Of course now I find out that the disc has no registration code and to top it off Garmin's website does not support this thing anymore. I guess I'll have to load a trip into it manually unless there is a work around. Any suggestions from the pro's out there would be greatly appreciated.

:rolleyes:

You will need to get the GPS serial number and call Garmin Support. U.S.: 913-397-8200 U.S. toll-free: 1-800-800-1020. Turn the unit on and click Settings and ABOUT and you will see the information needed to register the unit.

They will verify that the unit is not stolen and may be registered in your name. They do this by contacting the last registered owner by email. If they reply the unit is stolen, you're SOL, and you get to take it up with your Ebay reseller and PayPal. Usually you get confirmation of registration in a day or two. You will not be able to do map and firmware updates until you get the unit registered to your account...well you can, but you have to use pirated software.

The 27xx through 2820 will use the newest version of NuMaps CNNT 2013.1. You definitely want to update the maps and POIs and can install a Mapsource or Basecamp detailed map update at the same time. The disc will include an old version of Mapsource, which you can update online. Or, just download and install Basecamp first, then you should be able to install Mapsource from an online file. The maps are probably City Navigator 2008 and will be horribly out of date. Don't bother, just update after you get the registration transferred..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tom! They were very helpful and gave me the codes to unlock the map disc. Then I went and updated it for free! Having never used this before I figured I'll get some use out of this then maybe get newer maps later on.

BTW at $39.00 and free shipping what more could I ask for. I'll make a nice mount for it and I'll be ready to go.

Thanks again! :D

When I got my 2720 a couple of years ago, the previous owner (eBay seller) unregistered it himself before shipping it, all I had to do was register it, and as a first registration I qualified for the then-current map for free! Same thing you just went through, but easier, since my seller unregistered it himself and included the unlock codes.

But I paid more than 39 bucks for it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a 2720 for many years. It has held up well under varying weather conditions. It has never failed to lock on to the sat's with no external antenna. Don't waste your money.