Garmin VIRB......not so sweet after all

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMRoadRunner

A Bulls work is never done!
Reaction score
Well after a week here's what I have found out. While the unit itself is quite well built, feels good in your hand, easy enough to operate. The software is not quite what I expected from Garmin. The camera I got was the Elite model and supposed to be capable of operating from your smart phone, here's what I found.

To download the app I had to upgrade my almost 3 year old iphone to IOS 7, but I couldn't because my phone was too old they told me, it wouldn't take the upgrade, fine, I'm due for a free phone so I get a iphone 5 for no cost, transferring my data was a lengthy process due to the 3 year old phone issues, anyway got that done. Download the Garmin app to use with the camera, hook it up to pair them and get a message on the camera saying the internal software needs to be upgraded...WTF it's a brand new camera. so I go to download the Garmin software on my computer, so I can upgrade my new camera, and the Garmin software wont load unless I first download some other MicoNet something and it won't download without a password from Garmin, which I don't have, because it's on the software I can't download in the first place.

While researching the latest problem I stumble on a page on Garmins website showing about 30 upgrades to this software I'm trying to download again WTF? Then I discover that you need this software on any computer you want to up-load videos to so you can view them or send them by email. I can just link to a computer and up-load through camera wizard and even view them. They are in a different type file called GPX, I can't just hook up to anybody lapper and view the video we just shot, again a non starter. so the POS is going back to Garmin and I'm getting my $$$ back. I can't understand why they made it so hard to use the damn thing but what a pain in the ass it has been

Last edited by a moderator:
Garmin is a hardware company and the software division is treated like a red-headed stepchild. They have limited budgets, lack corporate support and generally produce poorly integrated solutions. Until Garmin changes its corporate priority towards the software that supports their products, your experience will be typical results. FWIW, I think they are primed to be picked off as a result of this. If Google ever turned its eye towards the GPS market (not unforeseeable) Garmin would be the next Blackberry (RIM).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's Garmin right there. Pain in the ass to hook up and update. I like their GPS units, but dealing with their software jokes is tiresome.

Have you tried the HD Contour Elite? Patch and I have them. Easy to use and take good video. They are cone shaped to avoid the 'box of Kleenex attached to your head' look.

I have the Contour+2, and am very happy with it. The company was recently purchased, and is up and running again. I too, love the form factor of the Contour over the GoPro, and my videos turn out great! Best of luck with your next purchase.

Thanks for the tip, The size and shape is what attracted me to the Garmin when I first saw it. Then did some research, but they were new enough that no one I knew had one or had seen one. I tried, Got my $$$$ back already so I'm good.