Garmin Zumo 660 GPS rumored to come out next week!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just from my perspective, there are 3 deal breakers for me...1. only 10 routes storage. I currently have about 25 routes. 2. micro sd card for images or music. My cameras all hold SD cards, so that is a bummer. 3. no external buttons. touch screen only

On the positive side . 1. larger display (but not much) 2. better resolution screen (but not much) 3. FM reception (very good!)

I dont care about the lack of XM radio on the new 660. I also dont care about the lane navigation feature or the speed limit info.

The price is not bad though. Not a bad deal for those looking for their first motorcycle GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get it. Why in such a big rush to go spend mucho $$$ on an unknown unit that is lacking significant features (IMHO)?
I have waited for the last year for this upgrade. I was going to get the Zumo 550 but then when I visited Amazon they show the date it was first available was May 2, 2006. GPS technology moves in dog years so I knew they would be coming out with a newer model shortly and I decided to wait. Bottom line is this will be my first GPS and I am really looking forward to using it. I was also really hoping it would come down in price...

Take a ride on a new route and explore the open road with the zūmo 660. This motorcycle-friendly navigator was built to lead you on all of your two-wheeled adventures. Whether you’re on a weekday ride just across town or a weeklong trip to an annual rally with friends, the zūmo 660 is ready to show you the way.

Designed By Bikers For Bikers

Featuring a bright 4.3” touchscreen color display, the zūmo 660 puts all the information you need in an easy-to-read format as you travel down the road. The zūmo 660 also has a glove-friendly intuitive interface with large buttons and left-handed controls that make entering information as easy as shifting gears. In addition, the wide sunlight-readable display makes for easy navigation — whether you’re riding during a bright day or a moonless night. And with a rugged waterproof case that resists fuel sprays and UV rays, the zūmo 660 was built for life on the road.

Go Your Own Way

Pick your path and hit the streets. The zūmo 660 is ready to go right out of the box. It’s preloaded with City Navigator® NT street maps and millions of points of interest (POIs) that include motels, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs, and more. In addition, the zūmo 660 offers 3-D building view and lane assist to show you more of your surroundings and make sure that you'll always know the right lane at the right time. The zūmo 660 also comes standard with a digital fuel gauge so you can keep track of how many miles you have left before it’s time to get gas.

Keep In Touch

The zūmo 660 features Bluetooth® wireless technology so you can stay in touch while you're on the move. With it, you’re free to safely talk on your phone without having to remove your gloves or helmet. Simply connect your zūmo 660 to your Bluetooth-enabled headset or helmet and then pair with your cellphone to make and receive calls on the go. You can also call POIs through the zūmo’s Bluetooth interface — perfect for last-minute change of plans or a quick pit stop for food and fuel. And with spoken street names functionality, the zūmo 660 will also transmit voice prompts to your headset for wireless and worry-free navigation.

Stay Entertained

Have a long ride planned? The zūmo 660 is your all-in-one entertainment center. Featuring an on-board mp3 player and advanced Bluetooth A2DP technology, you'll enjoy crisp and clean stereo sound with your compatible headset. It’s also loaded with a picture viewer for taking friends and family on the road and it supports audiobooks to help break up the miles when you’re in for the long haul.

Plan and Share Your Rides

Found the perfect backroad to share with your riding buddies? Or perhaps you’re planning a cross-country trip and looking to avoid as much interstate as possible. With the zūmo 660’s powerful trip planning tools, you can create your custom routes via computer and then transfer your saved route directly to your zūmo. And when you’ve returned home, you can review your rides in Google™ Earth. In addition, micro SD card expansion makes it easy for sharing routes and adding storage.

You can also visit zūmo Connect – our online community of routes and riders. It’s a great resource for finding new rides and planning trips.

Move Between Modes

Just because your bike’s parked doesn’t mean your day is done. The zūmo 660 also pulls double duty as an in-car navigator when you’re on four wheels instead of two. In addition to the included motorcycle mount, the zūmo 660 also includes a carrying case, vehicle mount and power cable. It’s like having two full-featured navigators for the price of one.

2. micro sd card for images or music. My cameras all hold SD cards, so that is a bummer.
That shouldn't be much of a factor as you really shouldn't be buying any new SD cards anyway. The adapters are so incredibly cheap, you're better off buying a microSD card with an SD adapter. I recently bought a 2GB microSD card with an SD adapter included for $12.99. The 2GB SD card was $11.99. I figured the extra dollar was worth the flexibility. Plus, the micro size is becoming the standard for new products.

Unfortunately, my phone runs the miniSD which nobody seems to support anymore.

Just from my perspective, there are 3 deal breakers for me...1. only 10 routes storage. I currently have about 25 routes. 2. micro sd card for images or music. My cameras all hold SD cards, so that is a bummer. 3. no external buttons. touch screen only
On the positive side . 1. larger display (but not much) 2. better resolution screen (but not much) 3. FM reception (very good!)

I dont care about the lack of XM radio on the new 660. I also dont care about the lane navigation feature or the speed limit info.

The price is not bad though. Not a bad deal for those looking for their first motorcycle GPS.
Double check on the FM thing. I don't think that it means you get FM radio. It has an "FM transmitter" Being somewhat tech challenged, I don't know what that does. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that apart from a few minor improvements, the 550 has more to offer. Perhaps that's why the price is lower on the 660.

Press release from Garmin

LAS VEGAS/January 7, 2009/Business Wire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, announced today the zūmo 660, a new motorcycle device that integrates the slim and sleek design of the nüvi® with specific features made exclusively for motorcyclists. The zūmo 660 was announced in conjunction with the 2009 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas (Garmin booth, South Hall 4, #35832).

“The zūmo can change your entire experience of touring or everyday rides because it helps you find amazing places to explore,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “Whether you’re charting your own course or you plan your trip from your computer and download the route to your GPS beforehand, your ride will be more enjoyable and stress-free because you’ll have peace of mind knowing the zūmo will help you find your way home.”

Ideal for a weekday ride or weeklong trip, the zūmo 660 has features motorcyclists will appreciate like a 4.3” sunlight readable and customizable touchscreen display, glove-friendly design with left handed controls and oversized touchscreen buttons. The ruggedized and waterproof (IEC 529 IPX-7 standards) device comes loaded with detailed, street-level maps of the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico that have over six million points of interest including gas stations, lodging, restaurants, attractions and more. The zūmo 660 speaks street names so riders will receive turn-by-turn, voice prompted directions, such as “turn right on Main Street,” via the built-in speaker or through a compatible Bluetooth helmet or headset.

The zūmo 660 also comes equipped with advanced routing capabilities. Lane assist with junction view guides riders to the correct lane for an approaching turn or exit, and realistically displays road signs and junctions on the route along with arrows that indicate the proper lane for navigation. In some major metropolitan areas, surrounding buildings are displayed in a 3D transparent view. A new multiple routing feature customers can see a map preview of the proposed fastest route, shortest route and off road route prior to choosing to navigate it. This capability gives riders additional situational awareness before they begin their journey.

The zūmo 660 also has enhanced Bluetooth Wireless Technology (A2DP) that amplifies audio for a crisp sound, and makes it possible to receive and place phone calls as well as receive navigational cues wirelessly to Bluetooth enabled headsets or helmets. The zūmo supports over 200 Bluetooth enabled phones so riders can retrieve and dial numbers using a supported phone’s contact list or from the phone’s call history log. A user can also make calls from zūmo’s huge points of interest database.

While riding, it is easy to access trip information directly from the zūmo’s trip information page like speed, heading, altitude, and a customizable fuel gauge that can be modified to the motorcycle’s maximum fuel range. If a rider wants to leave the pavement for the trail, the zūmo accepts Garmin’s MapSource® U.S. Topo maps for off-road navigation. Sharing rides with others or keeping a detailed log of trips is also easy thanks to zūmo Connect, an online community of routes and riders. Zūmo owners can also plan routes online through Google or MapQuest and send the routes or points of interest to the zūmo before they begin their journey. In addition, riders can swap routes and waypoints with other zūmo owners via the unit’s microSD card slot.

Like other members of the zūmo family, the zūmo 660 has many security features. The mount is designed to withstand the severe vibration environment commonly experienced in motorcycle riding. The zūmo also includes Garmin Lock®, a unique theft prevention system that disables the zūmo from performing any functions until the user types in a specific 4-digit PIN or takes the unit to a predetermined secure location. If the user does not know the PIN or secure location, the zūmo will be inoperative.

The zūmo 660 is expected to be available in the first quarter of 2009 at $799.99. Additional information is available at www.garmin.com.

About Garmin International Inc.

Garmin International Inc. is a subsidiary of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation. Since 1989, this group of companies has designed, manufactured, marketed and sold navigation, communication and information devices and applications – most of which are enabled by GPS technology. Garmin’s products serve automotive, mobile, wireless, outdoor recreation, marine, aviation, and OEM applications. Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in the Cayman Islands, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit Garmin's virtual pressroom at www.garmin.com/pressroom or contact the Media Relations department at 913-397-8200. Garmin, MapSource, nüvi, zūmo, and Garmin Lock are registered trademarks of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries. Bluetooth is a registered trademark of the Bluetooth SIG, Inc.

All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.

Notice on forward-looking statements:

This release includes forward-looking statements regarding Garmin Ltd. and its business. All statements regarding the company’s future product introductions are forward-looking statements. Such statements are based on management's current expectations. The forward-looking events and circumstances discussed in this release may not occur and actual results could differ materially as a result of known and unknown risk factors and uncertainties affecting Garmin, including, but not limited to, the risk factors listed in the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 29, 2007, and the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 27, 2008, filed by Garmin with the Securities and Exchange Commission (Commission file number 0-31983). A copy of Garmin’s Form 10-K can be downloaded at www.garmin.com/aboutGarmin/invRelations/finReports.html. No forward-looking statement can be guaranteed. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made and Garmin undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.

###

View article...

Double check on the FM thing. I don't think that it means you get FM radio. It has an "FM transmitter" Being somewhat tech challenged, I don't know what that does. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that apart from a few minor improvements, the 550 has more to offer. Perhaps that's why the price is lower on the 660.

Your are correct. I re-read the specs. The FM transmitter is used to get the audio out of the 660 into the audio system on the bike or car's FM receiver by tuning to an unused frequency. Still a nice feature though for those with existing stereo's on their bikes or for car use. With that said, the lack of buttons and restriction of only 10 routes kills my excitement for it.

Well I am glad I waited and did not jump on the older Zumo 550
What? The Zumo 550 was only released here two mnths ago?? It is still so expensive cause it is "new" nobody can afford it!

Still a nice feature though for those with existing stereo's on their bikes or for car use.
In my experience it doesn't work so well. YMMV. Ideally, you want a more modern car radio with in aux input (like for an IPOD) that you can then use with the line-out of the GPS.

All in all it almost seems like a step backwards. I had the 550 on my bike for a few months and loved it. I sold it last month due to financial issues but plan on replacing it in spring. I was excited when I saw this thread, thinking of all the improvements they probably made. Now I'm hoping that the 550 price will come down with the new kid on the block.

I agree with the FM thing. i had it on my sat. radio in the car. Way too much interference. Especially around the cities.

Just judging from the pics posted earlier, it looks like there are no buttons on the 660. BIG MISTAKE in my opinion. That touch screen gets pretty grubby after a while. Buttons allow many functions that help save the screen.

Uh, they make these things called screen protectors, which are clear sheets of plastic that you cut to fit over your PDA, camera screens , cell phones and yes, even over a touch screen. If it gets icky, you just pull it off and replace it. I have one on my Zumo 550, but it has not got "grubby" enough to replace, and I hardly ever use the buttons on the sides.....

KM

Still a nice feature though for those with existing stereo's on their bikes or for car use.
In my experience it doesn't work so well. YMMV. Ideally, you want a more modern car radio with in aux input (like for an IPOD) that you can then use with the line-out of the GPS.

Yes, the inputs are the best way to go. That's why I used the disclaimer of "existing" audio...lots of HD riders and autos still have the "old fashioned" FM/CD Stereos. :)

Just judging from the pics posted earlier, it looks like there are no buttons on the 660. BIG MISTAKE in my opinion. That touch screen gets pretty grubby after a while. Buttons allow many functions that help save the screen.

Uh, they make these things called screen protectors, which are clear sheets of plastic that you cut to fit over your PDA, camera screens , cell phones and yes, even over a touch screen. If it gets icky, you just pull it off and replace it. I have one on my Zumo 550, but it has not got "grubby" enough to replace, and I hardly ever use the buttons on the sides.....

KM

Yes, I am quite aware of screen protectors. My first Zumo succumbed to bad screen, PROBABLY in part due to the screen protector. I didnt tell Garmin that I had used a screen protector on it out of fear they might void my warranty. The screen protector got grubby UNDER the screen, against the zumo display. I live in south louisiana, with high heat & humidity . A better climate may make a difference. I think that is what caused the screen to start de-laminating. Use at your own risk. :)

Here's the dealer announcement . . . .

[SIZE=24pt][/SIZE]

New Product Announcement
[SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

Widescreen motorcycle navigator
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

with 3-D buildings, lane assist with junction view and stereo Bluetooth[SIZE=8pt]®[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

z[SIZE=18pt]ū[/SIZE][SIZE=18pt]mo 660[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Garmin International is pleased to announce a new addition to the z[SIZE=8pt]ū[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]mo[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]® [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]family, the z[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]ū[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]mo 660 GPS motorcycle navigator. It features 3-D buildings, lane[/SIZE]
assist with junction view and a 4.3” sunlight-readable, glove-friendly touchscreen display. Both a motorcycle mount with hardware and an automotive
mount are included, so your z[SIZE=8pt]ū[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]mo is ready to navigate right out of the box…no matter how many wheels it has under it.[/SIZE]
The z[SIZE=8pt]ū[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]mo 660 offers full coverage mapping for the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. The preloaded map data features nearly six million points of[/SIZE]
interest, including hotels, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs and attractions. The map data is provided by NAVTEQ, a world leader in premium-quality
mapping.
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Product Features and Specifications
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Advanced 3-D navigation – see 3-D buildings on the map as you drive for enhanced situational awareness[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Lane assist with junction view – z[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]ū[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]mo directs you to the preferred lane while driving. Also, see realistic images of upcoming junctions.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Bluetooth wireless technology– enables hands-free connectivity for use with a cell phones and stereo audio (A2DP) with compatible headset, see[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

www.garmin.com/bluetooth [SIZE=8pt]for compatible phones[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]High-sensitivity GPS receiver with HotFix™ – z[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]ū[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]mo has faster satellite acquisition times[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]High-resolution, glove-friendly 4.3” touchscreen display – 480 x 272 pixels; WQVGA TFT display with white backlight[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Rugged, waterproof design (IPX7) – resistant to fuel spills and UV rays[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Turn-by-turn directions with spoken street names – “Turn right on Main Street”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Motorcycle console for trip information, including fuel gauge to warn you when it's time to fill up[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Advanced route preview and trip logs with up to 10 saved routes – can automatically arrange via points to minimize trip distance[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Preloaded street maps – includes detailed maps for the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]"Where Am I?" feature – find the closest hospitals, police stations, gas stations, nearest address and intersection. Also see your exact latitude and[/SIZE]
longitude coordinates.
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Speed limit indicator – unit displays speed limits for highways and interstates[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Auto time zone – z[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]ū[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]mo will automatically adjust your time zone while navigating[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Garmin Connect[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]™ [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Photos – associate your favorite images with saved locations and visit Garmin Connect at [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]https://connect.garmin.com [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]to[/SIZE]
download new images with included coordinates
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]DEM maps – show you shaded terrain contours at various zoom levels[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]• [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Removable lithium-ion battery – up to 5 hours depending on usage[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Trip computer records mileage, max speed, total time and more[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Built-in travel kit includes features such as picture viewer, world clock, currency and measurement converters and calculator[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Includes Garmin Lock™ anti-theft feature[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Simplified PC connectivity using USB mass storage[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]With the POI loader program, users can set up proximity alerts for school zones, safety cameras, create custom POI’s and more[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Configurable vehicle icons –select fun, customized icons from [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]www.garmingarage.com[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Search, Plan and share your rides with others at [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]https://connect.garmin.com/zumo/[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Standard headphone and microphone jacks[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]microSD[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]™ [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]card slot for optional mapping and data storage[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Unit dimensions – ”5.3W x 3.3”H x 0.9”D[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Weight – 9.5 oz (270g)[/SIZE]
Page 2 of 2
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Product Configurations

z[SIZE=8pt]ū[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]mo 660, NA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Package includes[SIZE=8pt]: z[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]ū[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]mo 660, preloaded City Navigator[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]® [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]North America NT[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]1[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt], motorcycle mount with mounting hardware, automotive suction cup mount, automotive power[/SIZE]
cable, carrying case, lithium-ion battery, USB cable, dashboard disc, quick start manual, Installation instructions
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Note: [SIZE=8pt]Packaging and quick start manual are in English and French[/SIZE]

Availability: 2[SIZE=8pt]nd [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Quarter, 2009[/SIZE]
P/N: 010-00727-00
UPC: 753759085087
MRP: $799.99

I was hoping for an FM reciever but the MP3 will do in a pinch. With HD Radio taking off (at least in bigger cities) I was even hoping they might add that.

At least it will support stereo bluetooth!!!

The Z[SIZE=8pt]ū[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]mo 660 offers full coverage mapping for the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.[/SIZE]
Why not Mexico? (Not that any of the Garmin GPS maps do either) That would come in handy for a good portion of the southwestern part of the country.

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]• [SIZE=8pt]"Where Am I?" feature – find the closest hospitals, police stations, gas stations, nearest address and intersection. Also see your exact latitude and[/SIZE]
longitude coordinates.
Sounds like a cool function.

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]• Auto time zone – z[SIZE=8pt]ū[/SIZE]mo will automatically adjust your time zone while navigating
About friggin time Garmin GPS's will do that.

So, no XM radio capability? No weather radar capability? What about MP3s?

Some neat stuff to this new GPS, but seems to be lacking in some signifcant features.

Time will tell.

If the price is reasonable, I'll buy one. But the sad fact is that there is such a limited number of motorcycle GPS's that they are a bit of a rip-off. It'll probably be two years before the price is in line with what I think makes sense (compared to non-motorcycle specific units). I hope I'm wrong though!

Just happened to look at Garmins site and lo and behold they have a new page up for the Zumo 660. Looks like a Nuvi with Zumo 550 features. And the MSRP is still lower then the 550 by about $200. One blurb I read that makes me think I might wanna wait to get this one, is the lane assist directions. I hate not knowing if I'm in the right lane on a busy highway when I know a turn is coming up. Not XM compatible (doesn't really make a difference to me) but it is MSN Direct compatible for those that want that kind of info. Still has the MP3 player built in too. One thing worth noting, it does not include a motorcycle power cable, which I think is a mistake.

Lots to think about on this one. I just started saving my pennies for a 550. Guess I'll have to wait to see in the price comes down any or if I should just save a few more pennies and spring for the 660.

Here's the link:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000

Latest posts