Garmin Zumo 665

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre

Reaction score
I am not happy with my Tom Tom Rider 1,have problem downloading rides in it, even if I use Tyre.

Is the Garmin Zumo 665 a better unit ? easier to program ? and use on the road ?

I kn ow it is a fairly new unit, but look likes a 660.

Thanks

As far as I can tell, the 665 is the 660 with XM radio support and on screen weather data (Neat!)

So far, I for one, have been very happy with the 660. I use Google Maps to plan the route, import it into the POS garmin mapping program and upload to the 660. Easy as pie. Add waypoint for gas/food in route, on the fly. Bluetooth works great with my phone / Chatter box ... except for music, this thing will not replace your iPod. If the 665 was out when I got the 660, I would have gone for it. I like the idea of having live weather radar with me on the road.

... except for music, this thing will not replace your iPod.
I disagree.

I added an 8gig micro SD card to my 660 and loaded it up with music from my ipod. I pair my cell phone to the 660 and then pair my Chatterbox XBi2 as the headset for the 660. Works great.

-I play music from the 660 to the XBi2.

-I can dial directly through the Zummo 660 screen.

-When a phone call comes in it interrupts the music and indicates the caller ID on the 660 screen.

The zummo rocks. 665 adds the XM weather radar - very cool but expensive.

Wow, XM Weather in Canada, $ 100.00 set up fees, minimum 3 months contract at $ 110.00/month

I think I'll go with the 660......

Wow, XM Weather in Canada, $ 100.00 set up fees, minimum 3 months contract at $ 110.00/month
I think I'll go with the 660......
My US XM weather package (Master Mariner) shows weather in Canada for $49.99 a month. I just upgraded it from the Sailor package since I'll be doing a ride in Canada next month. I've never heard of a needed contract, and I've been running XM almost since they started. Also, you should be able to start and stop the service when you desire, only a one-time setup fee. They understand you most likely won't use it year-round on a motorcycle. I've also switched packages for no cost, other than the increase in the plan cost.

It looks like you were looking at the GROUND weather package. I don't know that you must use that particular one with that GPS unit. My Garmin 478 will use either MARINE or AVIATION packages. I choose the MARINE one since it's cheaper, and it works fine (at least on my unit).

LINK TO US MARINE WEATHER PLANS

LINK TO CANADA AVIATION WEATHER PACKAGE

LINK TO CANADA MARINE WEATHER PACKAGE

Last edited by a moderator:
My father just got the 665 from a friend who is a dealer. Unbelievable. He is giving me his 550 which is still a nice unit. The weather feature is super nice but I guess that is what goldwing riders need for their cadillacs. I am looking for a mounting shelf for everything but have not had any luck.

... except for music, this thing will not replace your iPod.
I disagree.

I added an 8gig micro SD card to my 660 and loaded it up with music from my ipod. I pair my cell phone to the 660 and then pair my Chatterbox XBi2 as the headset for the 660. Works great.

-I play music from the 660 to the XBi2.

-I can dial directly through the Zummo 660 screen.

-When a phone call comes in it interrupts the music and indicates the caller ID on the 660 screen.

The zummo rocks. 665 adds the XM weather radar - very cool but expensive.
Realy? Music to my XBi2 sucks. I get a lot of humm through the speakers, music volume is to low and if I turn it up and my phone rings it hurts my ears. My phone, on the other hand, sounds wonderful.

Maybe it's something with my unit?

Last edited by a moderator: