Gas Prices, Two Wheel Withdrawl, Other Ramblings -

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I bought my Dodge Ram 2500 Quad DIESEL I was paying $1.58 a gallon not 2 years ago. Today it was raining :( so I had to drive it into work and needed fuel. I go to a cash only place for $2.55 and for 15 gallons, 1/2 a tank, cost me $40. I use to fill it up for $50.

I understand every other country has been paying high gas prices for years and we have been paying extremely low but to suddenly make up for this difference in such a short time is hard to budget for.

My brother-n-law just bought a prius and he was so excited. I just didn't share the hype. To me they are a sad excuse for modern technology and simply making some of the enviro people happy. LIke others have said real life fuel mileage on those don't = the sticker. Plus we have had the technology to get even better fuel mileage on cheaper cars for 20 years. Why are we going backwards and people think it is advancement???

Hydrogen cars = still stuck on fossil fuels to extract it and manufacturing plants(where this will be done) is our main source of polution anyway.

Hybrid cars = still stuck on fossil fuels(mileage nothing to write my grand parents about)

Pure electric cars = Not practical, no infrastructure.

BioDiesel/Diesel = Yes still on fossil fuel but easier to manufacture and europe has been using low sulfur for decades(Come on america catch up) Naturally almost no Carbon Monoxide and with low sulfur fuel it eliminates many of the other problems. Low maintenance, last longer, more torque. Many say is the real alternative fuel source for the short term future. Can you tell I love my diesel :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Another site for all us diesel freaks ! :D

https://www.plantdrive.com/
My mother-n-law is a PHD in animal behavior (no not my behavior) and a college Biology teacher. One of her students did a report on the use of vegetable oil in diesel engines. I have heard of some power decrease and biodiesel in Maryland is hard to come by. Using used cooking oil is also a process and would mean a lot of time devoted on your own of doing it. If they started mass doing it I would consider using it but the biodiesel would be my first choice if they put more stations in. I live in Frederick MD and the closet place that I know of is Baltimore MD about 50 miles away. Mine is an 03 High Output Cummins and I think the seals can handle the biodiesel if not mistaken...

It's my understanding that all newer diesels can handle the bio stuff. Problem is, the cost is just as high if not higher for the pump stuff. There are a couple of home brew kits out there. I found one the other day that touts you can make it for about 46 cents per gallon! I'm digging on that! BTW, I picked up my new '05 VW Passat TDI wagon today. Looking forward to it. Although VW of course doesn't approve of any biodiesel useage over 5% mix tho. Later.

Mike

Cool congrats on the TDi.

Is the Passat still only available with auto/tiptronic transmission?

The Passat it a contender for me when it's time to replace my Jetta wagon TDi, but I want a standard tranny. Are you listening VW? :clap:

I just checked the VW website. It shows the Tiptronic as an option for the sedan anyway. I was told that there will be no '06 Jetta wagons at all. No '06 Passat wagons either. Plus their not putting the diesel in the Passat or Toureg until '07 due to the fuel restriction. Really enjoying the car more and more.

Mike

It's my understanding that all newer diesels can handle the bio stuff. Problem is, the cost is just as high if not higher for the pump stuff. There are a couple of home brew kits out there. I found one the other day that touts you can make it for about 46 cents per gallon! I'm digging on that! BTW, I picked up my new '05 VW Passat TDI wagon today. Looking forward to it. Although VW of course doesn't approve of any biodiesel useage over 5% mix tho. Later.

Mike
True, the newer diesels like my cummins have the seals to handle bio. Not sure of the percentage is safe but my use of bio would not be cost but environmental.

In the methods of I have read the "simpler" methods which aren't as good are easier for the first timers. The better method takes careful heating or else the batch then becomes degraded. With a truck that takes 32 gallons to fill up I don't think doing something like this at home "for me" would be very practical.

Definitely something that if done commercially I would buy though...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving the rain forests and helping prevent the penguins from getting sunburned. BUT, if I'm to use the Bio stuff, fine, give me an incentive. Don't make it the same price or even higher. It should be cheap enough that it's a no brainer. Around here, there is ONE station that sells E85, which is 85% Ethanol gasoline. It sells for about 50 cents per gallon less than regular gasoline. This is the only exception that I've seen. If the companies making this Bio stuff were really into saving the environment, instead of making a huge profit, then they'd do what's right! If I had my rathers, I'd go strictly veggie oil, just so I wouldn't help line the petrol pockets at all. Bloody greedy BASTARDS!!!

Mike

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving the rain forests and helping prevent the penguins from getting sunburned. BUT, if I'm to use the Bio stuff, fine, give me an incentive. Don't make it the same price or even higher. It should be cheap enough that it's a no brainer. Around here, there is ONE station that sells E85, which is 85% Ethanol gasoline. It sells for about 50 cents per gallon less than regular gasoline. This is the only exception that I've seen. If the companies making this Bio stuff were really into saving the environment, instead of making a huge profit, then they'd do what's right! If I had my rathers, I'd go strictly veggie oil, just so I wouldn't help line the petrol pockets at all. Bloody greedy BASTARDS!!!

Mike
That's the fun thing about forums and writing in general. I know what I meant to say just didn't type it all in. First let me say if it is more expensive I will most likely will not use it either. Second my statement was merely to compare regular diesel with biodiesel and since the price difference isn't the biggest difference I would only choose one over the other because of environment.

Around here I can get diesel at about $2.55 which is between 87 and 89. I don't know what the price around here (if found) would be for biodiesel.

No worries sparky, I'm just PISSED that fuel prices have gone up so much so fast. I get inflation, but around here, it's gone up about 60 cents in 3 weeks. That's BS! That's not inflation, that's price gouging, and what am I gonna do about? Sit here and piss and moan about it 'cause no one that can do anything about it, gives a shit about it! Damn scum sucking oil companies!! Ok, off rant now.

Mike

Biodiesel...I suspect a bucket of chicken is soon to be $37.50 ? would you like fries? $16.95...Your mad?...okokok, please call customer service in Bangalour..Holy Cow? :p

Bobby ( Bapu )

Dammit why did you have to say

"bucket of chicken"

It's after 10 here but that sounds soooooo good.

-r

I own a 2004 Toyota Prius. Forget the 60 mpg, folks. You'll never see it. I drive mine 100 miles per day, with about 70% of that being highway (65-70mph). Mine averages between 48 and 51 mpg, which still ain't bad. If you're very, very smooth and careful with the gas pedal you may see mid-50's. And the Prius gets a bit less mpg's in the winter because the batteries are less efficient in lower temperatures. The A/C runs off of electric only, so there's little or no difference if the A/C is on or off (nice!). When stuck in heavy stop & go traffic (and you're careful with the gas pedal) you can maintain battery operation only (even with the AC running!), which is fantastic (although if the computer detects the batteries need recharging, it'll start the engine).

I love my Prius. Would I buy another? In a NY second! My only regret is, I shouldn't have purchased the Toyota $2K Navigation option. A much better way to go is to buy the Garmin 276C with the bean-bag mount. The Garmin is much more user friendly and has a much larger database (points-of-interest, etc).

While the mileage is pretty good, the main reason why I bought the Prius is the ability to use the HOV lanes without a car pool in Virginia. It easily saves me 90 minutes a day, running the HOV lanes. Although there's word that someone is planning on making the politically incorrect decision to do away with hybrids on the HOV lanes in 2006. I sure hope this doesn't come to pass. With the higher cost of hybrids in general, people need some incentive to buy one, beside just good mileage. If it wasn't for the HOV incentive I may have seriously considered a VW diesel (about same mileage).

The Prius saves me gas during the week so I can pump it into my FJR on the weekends! :D

While the mileage is pretty good, the main reason why I bought the Prius is the ability to use the HOV lanes without a car pool in Virginia.  It easily saves me 90 minutes a day, running the HOV lanes.
Here, motorcycles can use the HOV lane, too, which is partly why I ride to work. :agent:

edit: I just realized that since I got my FJR one year ago, I've only put 3000 miles on my cage!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some real-world numbers for you. I just completed 1500 miles this weekend in my '05 Prius. We had 3 adults, one child, full luggage (moving my son to a new college apt), A/C on, cruise set @ 75 MPH -- a relatively comfortable 48.5 MPG. City commute is low 50's.

Sure, I like the MPG numbers. And I like the low emissions. And the tax breaks. But I have the most fun with the gadgets. If you are a gadget freak like me, you will have a blast with this car.

No, it's not an FJR. But it does put a smile on my face. Best mid-size car on the market, IMHO.

Two wheel -- there are so few on the road that even a few on the hook would be great. I don't know where you are driving to see that (with all 3 vehicles I probly put about 40-50k miles a year and I don't see any. So I should see half. And if they were such crap, people would be selling them in droves, they aren't. And again 3 independent sources claim it as one of the most reliable cars out there.

I will say I worry about my Prius much less than the tick on my FJR.

They aren't really a stop gap as much as a viable solution to greatly lessening our dependance on foreign oil. I am not waiting for hydrogen - even though you can buy one today if you really wanted. I get the great gas mileage, the low pollution, and I can go to any gas station in the country.

And it is cute, but not really girly. That is the Del Sol.

Highlander -- come on, the Aztec? The Gremlin. The gremlin was once named one of the ugliest cars of the century. The Aztec largely failed based on its looks as it was a rather functional and creative interior. The Prius continues to sell like the proverbial hotcake. So someone besides me must like it. I think it is kind of cool looking, rather futuristic.

Just plain Dave -- only a fool would buty the car for just the gas savings, but there are many fools out there

Spike

Two wheel -- there are so few on the road that even a few on the hook would be great. I don't know where you are driving to see that (with all 3 vehicles I probly put about 40-50k miles a year and I don't see any. So I should see half. And if they were such crap, people would be selling them in droves, they aren't. And again 3 independent sources claim it as one of the most reliable cars out there.
I will say I worry about my Prius much less than the tick on my FJR.

They aren't really a stop gap as much as a viable solution to greatly lessening our dependance on foreign oil. I am not waiting for hydrogen - even though you can buy one today if you really wanted. I get the great gas mileage, the low pollution, and I can go to any gas station in the country.

And it is cute, but not really girly. That is the Del Sol.

Highlander -- come on, the Aztec? The Gremlin. The gremlin was once named one of the ugliest cars of the century. The Aztec largely failed based on its looks as it was a rather functional and creative interior. The Prius continues to sell like the proverbial hotcake. So someone besides me must like it. I think it is kind of cool looking, rather futuristic.

Just plain Dave -- only a fool would buty the car for just the gas savings, but there are many fools out there

Spike
Wanted to stay out, couldn't :D

Our country has had technologies for centuries to get us off of fossil fuels all together. Some carb technologies have had the ability to get over 80 miles to the gallon that if you read about them will also learn that the big oil companies have suppressed those as well. The hybrid and the hydrogen cars A: don't get great gas mileage when back in the 70's we had pure gas cars that could do almost as well if not better. B:- The hydrogen car is still stuck on the manufacturing plants to burn fossil fuels to extract the hydrogen so we haven't really gotten off of it and the ratio of fossil fuel to hydrogen isn't real impressive either.

The only reason the Prius type cars (A) have been "allowed" on the market is because they really are no threat to the oil companies. ( B) Many people I have talked to that consider the Prius are between diesel and hybrid and the thing that wins out is the TAX incentive. Without this I think a lot less of them would sell. If you live in the mountains like my brother-n-law does his only gets about 35 mpg on the highway and everything on the road is passing him. In regular flat cities they may be fine.

I believe they are the worse thing environmental people could have allowed to happen as they keep us tied into oil and the "technology" is not really focusing 100% toward a better non-oil solution.

Some have talked about getting 100 miles on hybrid's that have added batteries to them and run 100% off of the batteries. Now not all models allow this but the ones that do this would be cool. Charge it at your house, don't travel that far to work and then go home after. Commuting to work of course is where most of us use our cars.