Gear Help | Waterproof Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambler

Reaction score
Going on a trip in the Indian mountains in July. Temp ranges from 90s to lows of 40s with good chances of short heavy downpours.

Need for Pants help:

I have a pair of Aerostich AD1s. They are good, but the nature of material makes it very 'sacky' and takes a long time to break in and become soft.

Looking to get a pair for the ride, but would like something less 'sacky'!

I tried on the Klim Overland Pants - RevZilla. Softer than the AD1s, but still sacky and bulky. D3O armor. Waterproof. Might be missing a couple of pockets.

The other Klim pant I've tried is the Klim Latitude Misano Pants - RevZilla. Decent fit. But the Olympia still edged in terms of shape and fit.

I also tried on a pair of Olympia MotoQuest Pants - RevZilla. This is cordura material with a inner/outer waterproof liner. But I liked the shape and fit. The label said 'custom fit' look. Which I agree on.

Can anyone suggest a good (goretex?) pant with the usual armor etc.. with a good shape too.

I know many will say, it's not about the looks but of safety and protection. I agree with that, but if I can get both, I'm all for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I opted for the KLIM Traverse pants. They lack the pockets but are double vented for thigh airflow.

Had them in cold temps and never needed a liner. They also have leather (?) chap-like inner legs

which is great for insulation against the engine heat. Simply the best pants that I have owned.

First gear makes nice pants also...

and if your are a size 36 or 30 jump !

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=klim+traverse+pants

Will need to try them on somewhere if possible or buy and return from RevZilla or Amazon if not suitable.

Thanks for your tip

I wear rain gear over whatever I am wearing for protection. I don't like the built in stuff. Too hot all the time. The rain gear I can take off. The stuff Motoport makes is the best in my book.

European stuff tends to be more tailored, Klim trousers, for instance are shapeless. Rukka and Stadler are well shaped, very expensive but top notch.

+1 about separate rain gear. I got a great 2-piece set at REI; light weight, easily storable till I need them. They also make an excellent windbreaker for the cold with minimum added bulk. You already own a good set of riding gear, pads, etc., right? Why buy another? The rain gear serves two purposes, takes up little extra room, and works. What else do you need?

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the First Gear TPG over pants. I love mine. The new TPG escape pant looks like it has a European fit, is waterproof and breathable. A little spendy though. Check Revzilla.

Klim Latitude Misano Pants, Never have to stop if it rains and they work well at keeping my legs cooler from the fire breathing Gen 1. I agree it is a little bulky but a relatively cool setup given the protection it offers. I hope to never have to try it out but I have stayed dry in 10 hours of pouring rain
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I have the REV'IT! Poseidon GTX Pants and like them a lot. Gore-Tex built into the shell so no liner to take in and out or pants to put over the top. They do get a little warm on hot days. However the vents open and close very easily while riding. So if you have a warm off and on rainy day you can reach down and open and close vents as needed with one hand. No need to stop and pack and unpack rain gear. As Biquer stated, they are European cut so may be what you are looking for in terms of style.

I have the AD1 Light pants, which I like a lot. With the Gore Tex there's no need to get off the bike and do the rain gear dance on the side of the road, which I've done enough in the past to know it's no bueno. If you don't want to invest big bucks in another set of Gore Tex pants or similar, $15 at Cycle Gear will buy you a decent pair of rain pants -- I have a pair that I throw in the saddle bag for short, local rides when there's a chance of rain and I don't want to put on the AD1 pants for just a breakfast ride. Mine are XL even though I wear a L, which allows me to put them on over kevlar jeans or other riding pants and boots more easily. They are also handy on cool mornings because they do a nice job of blocking wind.

Vented Goretex: If the vents go through the membrane, the closed vent will leak. If the vent doesn't go through the membrane, it doesn't really vent and is too hot in summer weather. I am simply not going to sweat my *&^% off all day so I don't have to stop and put a rainsuit on. I have an AGV Sport Sprint jacket with built in Goretex that anyone that wants it can have. It simply sucks to wear 4 months of the year.