Gen 1 FJR1300 and what have you replaced on your bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And still no radiators.....Geez!!!!
Gazza

Actually, there was one. Ionbeam's, but his was a puncture. So if you want to do something preventive for your radiator, buy (or make) it a stone guard and you'll have enough coin left over to buy a lot of gas.
wink.png
. That would be a better use of the money, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
2003 FJR, 205,000 miles, all 3 rotors were wore out, 230,000 miles,rearshock wore out, front springs etc. were replaced, 307,000 miles new starter, radiator, spark plug wires, caps, coils, oil pump chain. Decided to replace clutch plates also. Over 100 tires replaced so far.

2003 FJR, 205,000 miles, all 3 rotors were wore out, 230,000 miles,rearshock wore out, front springs etc. were replaced, 307,000 miles new starter, radiator, spark plug wires, caps, coils, oil pump chain. Decided to replace clutch plates also. Over 100 tires replaced so far.
!

I think we have a new high mileage champion!

That settles it...I'm gettin' rid of this high-maintenance POS!!!

AND, you're averaging less than 4200 miles per tire??? Yep...color my FJR GONE!! :p

That settles it...I'm gettin' rid of this high-maintenance POS!!!

AND, you're averaging less than 4200 miles per tire??? Yep...color my FJR GONE!!
tongue.png

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! And the second thing I thought was....Holy Crap! I may have just bought my last bike ever!

I don't know what the heck happened to my post above....this was in response to the POS comment by RadioHowie. lol

Here's what I've done so far on my 2003 FJR 1300, all but 16,108 miles have been put on since Jan 1,2006, as of saturday, ll/27/12 I have 300,000 miles on it. All these miles have been put on in Central and Southern Ohio. No interstate miles, no over night trips, all rides are single day rides out and back. Here's what I have replaced on the bike thus far, one water pump at 120,000, all 3 brake rotors at 205,000, stock rear shock/front springs etc.,230,000, new starter at 290,000. We checked the valves for the 1st time at 121,000 and they were still well within spec . no adjustments needed. In Jan. 2011, at 205,000, we did the first adjustments on the valves and checked again, Jan 2013, at 307,000, no more adjustments needed. The spark plugs were replaced at 40,000,120,000,205,000, 307,000 miles and they were still in good shape every time.Since I purchased my FJR I have put over 100 tires on it and have tried 9 major brand of tires and 20 some models in those brands to try and find the best tire for my ride. The best tire for me thus far is the 009 Raven. Jan. 2013, Replaced Radiator, it was beat up, I added the Cox guard to protect. new coils, spark plug wires and boot ends, new oil pump chain, old ones loose, new clutch plates, old ones worn some, so I replaced them. Had a record year in 2012, 62,211 miles. I hope this gives you an idea of the service I've had done. Approx. 7,000 + gals of gas and 60 + oil and filter changes...The Gray Ghost.
smile.png

Here's what I've done so far on my 2003 FJR 1300, all but 16,108 miles have been put on since Jan 1,2006, as of saturday, ll/27/12 I have 300,000 miles on it. All these miles have been put on in Central and Southern Ohio. No interstate miles, no over night trips, all rides are single day rides out and back. Here's what I have replaced on the bike thus far, one water pump at 120,000, all 3 brake rotors at 205,000, stock rear shock/front springs etc.,230,000, new starter at 290,000. We checked the valves for the 1st time at 121,000 and they were still well within spec . no adjustments needed. In Jan. 2011, at 205,000, we did the first adjustments on the valves and checked again, Jan 2013, at 307,000, no more adjustments needed. The spark plugs were replaced at 40,000,120,000,205,000, 307,000 miles and they were still in good shape every time.Since I purchased my FJR I have put over 100 tires on it and have tried 9 major brand of tires and 20 some models in those brands to try and find the best tire for my ride. The best tire for me thus far is the 009 Raven. Jan. 2013, Replaced Radiator, it was beat up, I added the Cox guard to protect. new coils, spark plug wires and boot ends, new oil pump chain, old ones loose, new clutch plates, old ones worn some, so I replaced them. Had a record year in 2012, 62,211 miles. I hope this gives you an idea of the service I've had done. Approx. 7,000 + gals of gas and 60 + oil and filter changes...The Gray Ghost.
smile.png
If that thing ever gives up the ghost you are gonna have to have it stuffed and mounted!! That's awesome! And yup I do believe I've bought my last bike!

My '05 has a little over 130k miles. It has been very reliable and the only time it let me down was for a bad tire.

CCT changed twice because of valve train noise

Rear shock upgraded after original started showing signs of wear

Fork springs upgraded to match the new shock

I changed the steering head bearings out for roller bearings, but that was just preference, not wear.

Lots of tires, a few sets of brakes, spark plugs

Two batteries - not dead but showing signs of age

NightShine, I replaced the rear shock when it failed me at 230,000 miles, I have all my work done at Wimer's Cycle Shop in Heath, Ohio 43056
Actually, GG, I'm just blown away. Most stock rear shocks are toast at 20-30K miles, but I guess it just depends on the use the bike's been put to, and what the rider expects of the suspension. Getting 230K miles out of it puts you at the far end of the curve!
wink.png

Well GG thats very impressive indeed and many thanks for the in depth history of you FJR. I guess this gives all us Gen 1 owners some idea of what we may be in for down the track, that's if of course we don't trade up.

Gazza

two CCT,

front bushings,

one ignition switch

about three batteries

about 20 Spark plugs

upgraded to better rear shock, (stock is still in great shape sitting on the shelf)

upgraded front springs (original springs on shelf)

changed a couple of shims

Lots of tires

a few air cleaners

gallons of oil

lots of brake fluid

And I keep having to add lots of gasoline