Gen 1 FJR1300 and what have you replaced on your bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I've done so far on my 2003 FJR 1300, all but 16,108 miles have been put on since Jan 1,2006, as of saturday, ll/27/12 I have 300,000 miles on it. All these miles have been put on in Central and Southern Ohio. No interstate miles, no over night trips, all rides are single day rides out and back. Here's what I have replaced on the bike thus far, one water pump at 120,000, all 3 brake rotors at 205,000, stock rear shock/front springs etc.,230,000, new starter at 290,000. We checked the valves for the 1st time at 121,000 and they were still well within spec . no adjustments needed. In Jan. 2011, at 205,000, we did the first adjustments on the valves and checked again, Jan 2013, at 307,000, no more adjustments needed. The spark plugs were replaced at 40,000,120,000,205,000, 307,000 miles and they were still in good shape every time.Since I purchased my FJR I have put over 100 tires on it and have tried 9 major brand of tires and 20 some models in those brands to try and find the best tire for my ride. The best tire for me thus far is the 009 Raven. Jan. 2013, Replaced Radiator, it was beat up, I added the Cox guard to protect. new coils, spark plug wires and boot ends, new oil pump chain, old ones loose, new clutch plates, old ones worn some, so I replaced them. Had a record year in 2012, 62,211 miles. I hope this gives you an idea of the service I've had done. Approx. 7,000 + gals of gas and 60 + oil and filter changes...The Gray Ghost.
smile.png
Good God Man!!!!
punk.gif

These bikes are freaking amazing. Absolute pavement eating workhorses.

2001 Aussie model owned for 11 years, now approaching 60,000 kms. New front wheel bearings at 22,000 kms due to failure. Have added stainless steel (HEL) brake & clutch lines, Scotts SS oil filter, K & N Air Filter, Iridium plugs. Just changed out rear brake pads, front still 50% wear.

When I bought this bike, it was always likely to be my last one, but I've been blown away by it's reliability & relative ease of maintenance. Gen 1's ROCK.

And likewise, Grey Ghost.....you are an inspiration to us all. If I had done all of those kms on this bike, I think that I would have had to have my artificial hip replaced, plus maybe both knees too ! "Live long & Prosper".

If that thing ever gives up the ghost you are gonna have to have it stuffed and mounted!!
That's what Roy Rogers did with Trigger when he died. I think he did the same thing with Dale Evans... but not in that order.

Great topic. I'm working on my high mileage work list and this has given me a few more ideas. I'm at 250,000 Km's and counting.

'05 FJR with 96,000 miles and I finally have it just the way I want it!

mine was a ticker at 14k and repaired no charge at 18.k - no problems since and running strong!

Uni-Flo air filter

Wilburs springs up front and shock rear

Osram Nightbreaker headlight bulbs

front fork brace

Cee Bailey windscreen

Handlebar risers

fender extender

R1 shift lever mod (shorter)

Vista Cruise throttle lock

Pazzo clutch and brake lever

Russell Day Long saddle - best evah!

Garauld rear rack and rest

heat insulation blanket under tank

CCT at 70k

Seals in final drive

front/rear brake pads

Lots and lots of tires and gasoline!!

Here's what I've done so far on my 2003 FJR 1300, all but 16,108 miles have been put on since Jan 1,2006, as of saturday, ll/27/12 I have 300,000 miles on it. All these miles have been put on in Central and Southern Ohio. No interstate miles, no over night trips, all rides are single day rides out and back. Here's what I have replaced on the bike thus far, one water pump at 120,000, all 3 brake rotors at 205,000, stock rear shock/front springs etc.,230,000, new starter at 290,000. We checked the valves for the 1st time at 121,000 and they were still well within spec . no adjustments needed. In Jan. 2011, at 205,000, we did the first adjustments on the valves and checked again, Jan 2013, at 307,000, no more adjustments needed. The spark plugs were replaced at 40,000,120,000,205,000, 307,000 miles and they were still in good shape every time.Since I purchased my FJR I have put over 100 tires on it and have tried 9 major brand of tires and 20 some models in those brands to try and find the best tire for my ride. The best tire for me thus far is the 009 Raven. Jan. 2013, Replaced Radiator, it was beat up, I added the Cox guard to protect. new coils, spark plug wires and boot ends, new oil pump chain, old ones loose, new clutch plates, old ones worn some, so I replaced them. Had a record year in 2012, 62,211 miles. I hope this gives you an idea of the service I've had done. Approx. 7,000 + gals of gas and 60 + oil and filter changes...The Gray Ghost.
smile.png
Uhhh Gray Ghost - has anyone ever mentioned its OK to leave the state??? Honest, the edge of the world is not at the Ohio borders..

Otherwise, CONGRATS on such mileage. Tells me I have a LOT of happy motoring left on mine with only 95k miles on it...

Rear shock @ 60K miles definitely worn out, Replace with Work Performance about 100K and rebuilt the original has 27 K on it. Right fork seal 50K Replaced both, still good. Front Bearing on rear shock lever froze up about 80K, replaced all 4 but 3 were OK. Front headlights had a 10K burn out (wierd). Put Corbin seat on in 2008 prior to first trip East. K&N air filter installed first year. Otherwise just normal wear, spark plugs, tires, oil. Dynoed @ 80K 118 HP 81 ft lbs @ rear wheel. Bought a 2012 basically for the heat issue and did the shock swap and didn't want to be Bikeless that long. It was a nobrainer to buy another as this bike never guit and still hasn't.