Gen 1 Valve guides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rain Dancer

Reaction score
I hate to ask this question....and believe me, I have searched. I have heard mention of using bronze valves guides when rebuilding the head on a Gen 1 ticker. However, I can not not find if anyone ever did it. Have always used them when I built up V-8's, but have never had to replace guides on a bike before. If I remember right, even an early post when Warchild was pioneering all this, he made mention of looking into them. If anyone has used them, or has knowledge of them, would love to hear it. Thanks!

Not sure why you would be trying to reinvent the wheel here. The root cause of Gen I top end problems were the valve guide *seals*. If you need to do a rebuild, just use the updated parts (I'm sure the only one's that are available) and you will be good to go.

Not since they resolved the actual issue that was valve guide SEALS. It never was an issue with the valve material. And even before it was diagnosed it was casual talk as a possibility. Nobody actually manufactured or sourced alternate valve guides.

Otherwise, search on "bronze" and you'll see any discussion that did take place.

Not since they resolved the actual issue that was valve guide SEALS. It never was an issue with the valve material. And even before it was diagnosed it was casual talk as a possibility. Nobody actually manufactured or sourced alternate valve guides.
Sorry Iggy, I'm going to go out on a limb here and call you wrong. ;)

Richard Carroll replaced his stock valves and guides with Kibblewhite bronze guides and SS/stellite valves. He wrote a very nice PDF on the parts and process. This was all before Yamaha had a permanent solution.

His conclusion was that the joint location of the OEM bi-metal valve was a contributor to premature valve wear, and was part of his reason for replacing the valves with aftermarket parts.

Pretty sure the new Yamaha parts have that issue resolved too, but here's a path for someone who wants to go aftermarket.

PDF attached.

See below

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Iggy, I'm going to go out on a limb here and call you wrong. ;)
Hmmm....I didn't remember that. I stand corrected.

But, I also suggest that's an extreme case that I think need was mostly overcome by the update to the valve seal change.

PDF access is probably a permission thing. We really haven't set this forum up for attachments and probably not going to be accessible by some.

Fully understand the permissions thing. No need to carry the weight of everyone's file hosting on the FREE TO ALL USERS forum. Go find somewhere else to host your files (obviously not talking to you Travis).

As for the valve guide material upgrade, yeah, why not? Yes, the root cause of the ticker problem was deemed (by Momma Y) to be bad seals causing oil starvation, and the new ones do seem to resolve the issue... but if'n you gotta do a ticker rebuild and replace them anyway, why not go with a superior guide if one is available? Due to not seeing the pdf file I don't know what made these better, probably a harder material less prone to wear with or without adequate lubrication, but it sounds like a valid premise to me.

And just another case where it seems worthwhile to discuss things that were already previously discussed when some new guy shows up... ;)

Thanks Travis, that was the info I couldn't find anywhere. Like I had stated, saw it mentioned, even saw where someone spoke about a group buy IF someone made them, but never found an answer. If I tear down an engine, I usually go overboard on the rebuild. I enjoy it. And with some of the prices on factory parts, a lot of the times it doesn't cost me that much more. Is there anyway I can get that PDF from you to look through? Thanks, Emery

PDF file link

Maybe Slap only meant for admins to see the PDF?
No. I thought if I posted (which I have permission to do) all the registered users would be able to see it, but guests wouldn't. Limited distribution as it were. Since that didn't work out I posted the file to server, link above. Happy reading to all.