Gen 2 Engine Heat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankD

Reaction score
I was thumbing through my owner's manual the other day looking for something benign and ran across something else that I was totally unaware of. I recall the days of researching FJR's and reading about the heat dissipation associated with the Gen 1 bikes that some people found troublesome. Furthermore, I recall reading that Yamaha changed the fairing design and engine cooling to resolve some of the complaints as part of the Gen 2 series. What caught me by surprise was that the upper side fairings of my Gen 2 have two positions. Riding around SoCal for the past couple of weeks and switching back and forth between the "inner" and "outer" positions, I really can't tell the difference. Maybe as the thermometer rises above the 80's, it may become more apparent.

Question is, which position is supposed to provide cooler shins to the rider?

Question is, which position is supposed to provide cooler shins to the rider?
This and many other things were answered in the New Owners Read This thread you were suggested to read when you signed up. #6.

About 50 other great tips in there too.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
FrankD posted: <snip, snip> Question is, which position is supposed to provide cooler shins to the rider?
My answer is (seriously): Whichever position makes your shins feel cooler.

I think the "in" position on my Gen3 brings more wind across my shins, but not enough to actually change the vent position again -- probably ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at as out position would simply deflect more air away, keep your knees drier, maybe warmer in the cool weather.

I adjust mine seasonally. In the winter I adjust them out just for slightly more leg protection from the wind. In the summer they go back in. Engine heat is not really a major factor in doing this and it may not make a lot of difference at all. But I do get the satisfaction of tweaking something on the bike. :)

Joey.

I've never noticed a difference with engine heat but I do notice a difference in cold weather. Like others have mentioned, when the temps drop, the deflectors go out and they offer more leg protection from the cold rushing airstream. Anything above 50F and they go back in.

All they do is deflect ambient air a bit more when out.

So, in cold weather, keeping them out reduces the cooling effect.

In warm weather, having them in increases cooling.

But, in extremely hot weather (something I've never experienced), having them out will reduce the heating of your legs from that hot ambient air.

Personally, I always leave them in; on a Gen 2 having them out makes the bike ugly. On my current Gen 3 I've simply never bothered to move them out, even in freezing conditions, I've never got cold legs with lined pants on.