Gen 2 Ohlins Rear Shock... does it work on a Gen 3?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slonishku

Reaction score
I am considering swapping from a Gen 2 to a Gen 3 in advance of riding the Iron Butt Rally in 2017. A huge part of the decision will be based on whether a number of the aftermarket bits on my Gen 2 will swap over to a Gen 3.

Chiefly, I'm wondering about the following parts:

1. Russell Day-Long Saddle

2. TAT (Tag-Along-Tank) aux fuel cell

3. Ohlins rear shock

4. Forks (which are all set up with RaceTech cartridge emulators)

5. Aftermarket triple clamp

Popular lore suggests a straight swap on the saddle and the tank, but I can find nothing regarding the suspension components. There's plenty of talk about the benefits of putting a Gen 3 shock on a Gen 2. That would suggest that a straight swap of the Ohlins would work (at least on a non-ES model).

I've tried looking over everything Ohlins has online, but nowhere can I find any mention of FJRs from 2013 and forward.
read.gif

I am assuming that a properly set-up Ohlins on a non-ES still beats the stock ES system, but have never found any mention of the Ohlins on a Gen 3 for comparison.

Does anyone have any insight on any of this?

Alex

For the forks, I think you would have to swap the whole set of forks out of your '08; not just the upgrade guts (if it even possible). I am not 100% sure that the Gen II forks are a fit. The '13+ had a re-design on the forks but I don't know whether the physical dimensions and attachment points for fender etc. are identical or not.

That's good news on the Ohlins!

For the front end, might just be best to bite the bullet and get a new Superbrace and bionic fork guts.

Everything you have listed will swap directly to an "A" model. I did exactly what you're proposing and transferred my GP Suspension equipped forks and 8983 Penske from my previous '09 to a new [to me] '15A...no issues at all. This includes an original design Heli top clamp. I also had a second design Heli clamp that I considered using but found the hydraulic lines a bit short.

Good luck.

--G

^^^

Good to know about the forks. I was pretty sure that size (diameter and length) would be OK but didn't know if there was enough difference in the fender that it might not attach correctly. (Threaded holes on the shock lining up with the holes in the fender) I guess only the internals changed with the Gen III.

Sounds like a good deal. Buy a lightly used '08 FJR (all highway miles!) and get upgraded (and brand new!) suspension off of a new 3rd Gen. Win - win!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like there's going to be a Gen 2 upgraded with Gen 3 forks and rear shock on the market soon...
LOL..after I did my swap, I made the mistake of riding the '09 with fresh GEN III suspenders under it. I immediately began second guess selling it because it was sooooo nice!

--G

LOL..after I did my swap, I made the mistake of riding the '09 with fresh GEN III suspenders under it. I immediately began second guess selling it because it was sooooo nice!
--G
A definite hazard!

Looks like I'm officially keeping my eye out for the right Gen 3 A model now.