Gen 3 bulkhead fitting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wistrick

Reaction score
So I am in the process of moving my farkles from my 07 Gen 2 to my new to me 2015 Gen 3....Question can I drill the tank in the same location for the bulk head fitting on a gen 3 as on a gen 2.....Maple farkles seem to think so:

Clicky here

all pictures I am finding are of a gen2

thanks 

Dan

@RossKean  Messing with the stock venting makes me very nervous.....Someone I trust told me this was a big no no....Picturing  bike exploding in a fireball...Sure would be simple....

I have over 11,000 miles ( includes two BBG’s ) with the AUX tank setup and so far no issues. Summer is coming soon and I will be able to see how it works in the heat.

what type of fuel line you using??? and do you think this will work with a flat bed tank (Tani Style)

what? is it about summer that would cause issues???

@RossKean  Messing with the stock venting makes me very nervous.....Someone I trust told me this was a big no no....Picturing  bike exploding in a fireball...Sure would be simple....
I have not done it but it seemed like a pretty good idea when I saw Greg's post on the subject.  Beats the crap out of making holes in a shiny new tank!

Can't speak for the safety of the setup...

I am going to proceed with the Greg Rice's method.. I with also go the ballectomy  to the gas cap for an added safety...and my piece of mind...

Dan

Well, if this works it is a pretty simple install.

Mounted my old cell on the Givi rack, 5/16 line run from the cell to front nipple (vent) of the stock tank.  Single line from the back nipple (water drain) stays as is.  Can't wait to test it.

Canadian FJR

Well, if this works it is a pretty simple install.

Mounted my old cell on the Givi rack, 5/16 line run from the cell to front nipple (vent) of the stock tank.  Single line from the back nipple (water drain) stays as is.  Can't wait to test it.

Canadian FJR
got mine plumbed as well, but with 1/4 hose...gonna test soon....

Just did a test in the garage, too much snow for riding.

Main tank was two bars from full.

Half filled the aux tank to check for leaks.

Started the bike and it ran fine but couldn’t see the fuel flowing through the glass filter, just figured that there wasn’t enough suction yet.

When I shut the bike off it started to transfer.  It must keep the main tank completely full right to the bottom of the fuel cap.

Canadian FJR

Just did a test in the garage, too much snow for riding.

Main tank was two bars from full.

Half filled the aux tank to check for leaks.

Started the bike and it ran fine but couldn’t see the fuel flowing through the glass filter, just figured that there wasn’t enough suction yet.

When I shut the bike off it started to transfer.  It must keep the main tank completely full right to the bottom of the fuel cap.

Canadian FJR
After a 100 mile test run I have no fuel transfer at all...about 45 mile in fuel bar dropped and aux tank still has fuel

noi idea whats going on...aggghhh!!!

Mine is working exactly as Greg described.

Double check these things;

- You have the supply of the aux tank running to the front nipple of your tank.

- No crazy bends in this supply line

- No one way check valves in the supply line or vent line coming from the aux tank

- Good venting from the aux tank, I have 5/8 line

- Try opening up the main fuel cap and lightly blow into the vent line of the aux tank.  Have some shop rags, it might spray out so be ready to close that cap.

This is a head scratcher, please report back.

Canadian FJR

This works because using fuel from the tank creates a slight vacuum which draws more from the auxiliary. (Not gravity fed). If the seal at your tank lid is imperfect, it may draw air through there rather than gas from the other tank.

You said you only rode 45 miles - should have been more than enough to start drawing unless you were opening the tank frequently to check.