Gen 3 CEL solution?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st4sal

Reaction score
Folks I've been searching and haven't found an answer.. dealer told me there was a solution for clearing the Check Engine Light.

I even told him it was a 16 but he was adamant..

Does anyone have a solution other than going to dealer? Dealers next available appointment was late May.
Light came on after a dead battery of that helps

Thanks in advance

I’ve done basically the same as Sparky a couple times. Also like the ability to read codes myself plus do a reset.

buy a 4 pin connector from Amazon/ebay that fits a yamaha. Get any obd2 scanner and you can read/reset the CEL.

i bought this one... works perfect. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088TLYHQT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is good to know. What else can be done with the OBD2.
I know what and how to use these in cars, but have never done so on a bike. I have accss to VagCom connector and sw (VW Auto group) and also ForScan (Ford, Hyundai and others). You can use these to tweak many functions in the cars system.
Is there similar software for a PC to be able to access the bike's system?

Only issue from what I've found is that Yamaha uses propriety codes and you need their info to figure out what is what. Codes I've gotten in the past were not standard. There are some hex conversions to try and figure it out, but they didn't really help me. I could clear the codes, though.