Gen 3 shock replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm waiting for shipping back to me to be arranged today. The rod was too pitted and scuffed and was replaced, so it has taken a bit longer than expected. I will have it this week but I'm on a family holiday next week so it will be after that before I get it back together. However I do have a 3 day, 1200 mile photo rally ride in 2 weeks which will include everything from motorway (interstate) to farm tracks, so it will get a proper workout. I'll report back then.

A pitted shock rod is a curious thing.  Was the bike subjected to a lot of salty winter roads?   
Yes, I live in Ireland and they salt here long before freezing. I've been working on my '08, which is my normal commuter, so the '15 has been my daily driver, I don't use a car unless I have no option, it has seen plenty of salt. They reckon it was failing long before I noticed it. I've more than 100,000 miles on the Ohlins on my '08 and it looks like new, it has however been wrapped in a shock cover since new.

Sounds like a shock cover might be required for the refurbished unit if you are going to ride in these conditions.  No doubt that the damaged pitted rod chewed up the seals causing premature failure.

How often do you service the relay arm?  Reports indicate that a salty environment will cause premature failure of these as well - to the point they can seize.

Sounds like a shock cover might be required for the refurbished unit if you are going to ride in these conditions.  No doubt that the damaged pitted rod chewed up the seals causing premature failure.

How often do you service the relay arm?  Reports indicate that a salty environment will cause premature failure of these as well - to the point they can seize.
New shock cover already ordered. I don't do the relay arms as often as I should. However the bearings on my '08 with 140,000 miles on them are original and still good. The '15 was done last week as it was already stripped and everything was tight and greasy. I found with my '08 that after the first clean and lube that the grease didn't wash out and they've never looked like they needed any more.

Sorry for the delay, I was on a family holiday.

The shock assembly came back and was fitted to the bike. The cost of the repair is 250 Euros ($296). However I had to pay for a new rod which was a further 140 Euro ($166). My shipping was about $25 each way, of course that is dependent on location. They said replacing a rod is rare, but it does happen, they have a machine shop on site so they can make their own rods. They returned the old rod, which had 1 deep chip on it (which would have ruined the new seals), and all the old seals and O rings that were removed. I did a 3-day ride of just under 1000 miles covering everything from Motorway (Interstate), twisties, mountain roads and single lane gravelly potholed stuff. I constantly switched through all the variations in pre-load and rebound damping. I'm happy to report that it is working perfectly. I put it through it's paces and it worked as good as it ever has. I removed the shock cover when I returned and it remained dry and clean. 

Thanks again to RossKean for the heads up on ESARepair.

The bottom line is that you can get your Gen 3 shock repaired for $300 plus shipping.

Sorry for the delay, I was on a family holiday.

The shock assembly came back and was fitted to the bike. The cost of the repair is 250 Euros ($296). However I had to pay for a new rod which was a further 140 Euro ($166). My shipping was about $25 each way, of course that is dependent on location. They said replacing a rod is rare, but it does happen, they have a machine shop on site so they can make their own rods. They returned the old rod, which had 1 deep chip on it (which would have ruined the new seals), and all the old seals and O rings that were removed. I did a 3-day ride of just under 1000 miles covering everything from Motorway (Interstate), twisties, mountain roads and single lane gravelly potholed stuff. I constantly switched through all the variations in pre-load and rebound damping. I'm happy to report that it is working perfectalsoly. I put it through it's paces and it worked as good as it ever has. I removed the shock cover when I returned and it remained dry and clean. 

The bottom line is that you can get your Gen 3 shock repaired for $300 plus shipping.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. This will be very useful when any of us need the ES shock rebuilt. Also thanks to RossKean for the tip on ESA Repair!!!  🤙

Just did a quick Google search and it was one of the first hits that looked promising.  Hopefully, ES owners will be a little less nervous about owning (or buying) a potential financial liability.  Price is really decent if it holds up.

Biquer - glad to hear your repair went well.  Any issues replacing the ES shock and syncing with the electronics?  I might have to check on shipping from the US to over there and back.

Biquer - glad to hear your repair went well.  Any issues replacing the ES shock and syncing with the electronics?  I might have to check on shipping from the US to over there and back.
No issues at all, just plug and play. As I said, I worked it through all of the settings options and it responded exactly as I thought it should. I believe it was calibrated and checked by ESARepair before shipping.