GEN II Low Speed Miss When Cold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeysduck

Reaction score
My 2006 with about 16K on the ODO has a low speed miss, when it’s cold. I searched for similar problems and saw some units had corrosion on a connector.

My issue sounds slightly different. Between 1000 to 2500 RPM, it doesn’t like the throttle. It will idle, no issue. Adding throttle it will hesitate and buck I can rev to 3K then ride it away. When it’s hot it runs fine.

I know it’s time to change the plugs. I can hardly believe that’s the issue. I added STP fuel system cleaner. The thought was it could clean the injectors and absorb any water that may be in the fuel. I put on around 30 Mi. There is no noticeable improvement. Could be it’s a bad tank of fuel

I intend to ride it to work tomorrow about 70 freeway miles, round trip.

Has anybody else had a similar problem?

How old is the gas? Could it be leftover from summer? If so, remember fuels change vapor pressures through the seasons.

Thanks for the replies. The ride to work cleared up 99.9 % of what was wrong. Could be I'm just sensitive to the problem now. The fuel is about 30 days old. I'll make an effort to run out this tank and get fresh fuel. The tank was near empty when I last filled it. The fuel was from a large modern station, that's about 2 years old.

I did check the battery voltage when this started 12.8V parked. I suspected the voltage was to low, but that was wrong too.

When the temps fall below 35 out here my feej will balk and stumble until the temp gauge reaches 50%. Once that is done, no issues.

Alot of fuels have 10% ethanol in them making the fuel delivery leaner than it already was. Mine does that some when cold. We have 10% fuel.

Or

Maybe the fuel additive you put in finally had time to work?