Gen ll Windshield Retract Seal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvette

Reaction score
I know a lot of folks have tried to re glue or reattach this seal with no long term success. I tore mine out some time ago like most do after trying to make it stay in place. Windshield goes up and down with no binding and no groaning or squeaking now.

I see the replacement seal has been revised with a new part number. Has anyone had any experience with this new seal? Does it stay put like it supposed to? My concern is that without this seal a lot of road crap, or more than normal can enter the cowling where there are a lot of electrical connectors. We have enough trouble with ground connections and such as it is. I would like to see if this seal that I tore out can be covered buy YES and get the new style, if it is any better. If it is not I won't bother.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe I worked with the new seal part number last winter on someone else's bike. IIRC the change was not to the seal itself, but to the adhesive system used.

The local Yami dealer had replaced the headlight bucket under warranty and wrestled with Yamaha to finally get them to cover replacing the missing/torn rubber windshield track seals too. The dealer was trying hard to do the right thing for the customer, but the replacement seals didn't stick.

I wound up ripping the whole thing out and re-gluing the new seals with 3M Plastic Emblem & Trim Adhesive. It was a total PITA and a huge mess to deal with. The new seals from Yamaha didn't remain in place 24-hours after installation by the dealer.

My experience has been that depending on where you ride and how often you wash the bike, riding without those rubber seals can accumulate a lot of gunk and abrasives in the windshield track. The most significant damage occurs if you don't have the auto-retract disabled and those plastic/Delrin guide blocks work up and down in the grit. In no time at all, you will have a sloppy loose windshield system because of the worn blocks.

My best advice... order the new seals, don't expect Yamaha to cover them under YES (but they might). Then do the work yourself using a good grade adhesive product like the 3M stuff. That way you won't be going back in there again, at least not anytime soon.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe I worked with the new seal part number last winter on someone else's bike. IIRC the change was not to the seal itself, but to the adhesive system used.

The local Yami dealer had replaced the headlight bucket under warranty and wrestled with Yamaha to finally get them to cover replacing the missing/torn rubber windshield track seals too. The dealer was trying hard to do the right thing for the customer, but the replacement seals didn't stick.

I wound up ripping the whole thing out and re-gluing the new seals with 3M Plastic Emblem & Trim Adhesive. It was a total PITA and a huge mess to deal with. The new seals from Yamaha didn't remain in place 24-hours after installation by the dealer.

My experience has been that depending on where you ride and how often you wash the bike, riding without those rubber seals can accumulate a lot of gunk and abrasives in the windshield track. The most significant damage occurs if you don't have the auto-retract disabled and those plastic/Delrin guide blocks work up and down in the grit. In no time at all, you will have a sloppy loose windshield system because of the worn blocks.

My best advice... order the new seals, don't expect Yamaha to cover them under YES (but they might). Then do the work yourself using a good grade adhesive product like the 3M stuff. That way you won't be going back in there again, at least not anytime soon.
Thanks Jeff for the advice. I will see if YES will cover it, and if they will, I will tell them I want to install it. If they won't agree I'll just buy a new one and install it myself. The dealer WILL NOT touch my bike unless it is something I just can't handle, which is not too many things.

I am like you, I think the seal should be in place.