Gen3 OR Gen4

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalingo

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi La famille FJR
Hope everybody is healthy safe and doing great
I might pull the trigger on a new younger darling and I would like some honest advises please

I’m eyeballing 2 gen3 from 2015 : all stock with normal suspensions , very low mileage, few farkles on them , etc …

and one gen 4 from 2016 with recalls up to date , stock , low mileage , non ES , etc …

All the bikes adult owned of course

Honestly does 6th gear generations are still bulletproof ?
That second gear recall made everybody drop sweat and tears !!

I would like to have some opinions on gen4 mostly

Thanks to all

🙏🏼🙏🏼

16 Also has the slipper clutch, LED lighting and updated instrument panel. My local dealer did 50 plus upgrades and only one, the fellow is crazy, that had actually failed before the upgrades.
I have a quite a few miles on my 15 and love it
I, personally, would not buy an ES. Just know that you will have to replace the shock on the A model in the 30/50,000 mile range. Or replace it right away and have instant better handling.
Just mt two cents.

The almost identical reply I posted in the other sandbox........

You can't go wrong with either, though I prefer the ES model. I own both Gen 3 and 3.6 models. I prefer the 5-speed. Advantages of the Gen 3.6 are slightly better fuel economy and less rpm at highway speeds. The best part of the Gen 3.6 is the LED lights and slipper clutch.

What color do you like more? I think the 2015 grey is the most hideous color to adorn a motorcycle and would rather ride a Harley trike than that abomination, but that is me. 🤪

Both are at 12k $
Gen3 : has 3k and change miles , full stock , just battery changed

Gen4 : 11k miles , custom seat , bar raisers , aftermarket exhaust

When they did the tranny recall , they had to remove the whole engine ?

You can't go wrong with either, though I prefer the ES model. I own both Gen 3 and 3.6 models. I prefer the 5-speed. Advantages of the Gen 3.6 are slightly better fuel economy and less rpm at highway speeds. The best part of the Gen 3.6 is the LED lights and slipper clutch.

What color do you like more? I think the 2015 grey is the most hideous color to adorn a motorcycle and would rather ride a Harley trike than that abomination, but that is me. 🤪

Hi SkooterG
Saw you reply on the other forum , my guts telling me Gen3
The one I saw the 15 has barely 4K miles , all stock and top notch condition
Listed for 12k , In my opinion the price is too much

Pick the bike that speaks to you. With such low miles on both, does one look better maintained than the other? '16 does offer a few improvements, slipper clutch, LED headlights and 6-spd but otherwise they're the similar machines. From your description the '16 sounds like a better buy.

For trans recall, repairs called for engine removal. Some later reports mentioned dealers had figured out a method to split cases with engine in place.

Skooter, what can I say... 🖕 😘

~G

Agreed, the 2015 is overpriced by at least $2k imho. The '16 is a much better value. Price is in the ballpark. If you are patient and wait for the right one to come along and are willing to travel and expand your search area you could do better price-wise than that '16, but it certainly is not a bad price. 5 years from now will you even care?

I picked up my first FJR in Nov '22, a '17-ES. I wanted the 6th gear which is also more of an overdrive than 5th gear on the previous gen. The final drive ratio (gears at the wheel) was also lowered for better highway fuel mileage and lower revs at a given speed. It had the Yammie matching top box, radiator guard, and a taller windshield, 5K miles, and CLEAN. It was $13,400. Fall is for buying bikes and boats; spring is for buying snowmobiles. Patience wins the $$ battle.

The final drive ratio (gears at the wheel) was also lowered for better highway fuel mileage and lower revs at a given speed.

Huh? So, you are saying it has the Final Drive modification?

That was a pretty good price you got.

I bought my '17 ES in June of 2020. Only had 2614 miles. But had been dropped on left side scratching a bunch of stuff. It had the Heli Bridge risers and came with the Yamaha comfort seats as well as stock. The damage kind of sucked, but I only paid $8,000. I consider that one of the best bargains I've ever gotten. This was before prices on all vehicle went crazy.

Agreed, the 2015 is overpriced by at least $2k imho. The '16 is a much better value. Price is in the ballpark. If you are patient and wait for the right one to come along and are willing to travel and expand your search area you could do better price-wise than that '16, but it certainly is not a bad price. 5 years from now will you even care?
I think I’ll wait and expand my area of search as you said
Not confortable with the 16 , since I have some opinions from you guys and did my search
I’ll aim for a 15 with a little better price