Gen3 Throttle Reassembly - I screwed the pooch - Any Help?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Gents and Ladies,

From the CandyButtAssociation site..

If you have done this.. please tell me what I'm fu$Ig up..

2017-12-26 MadCo Throttle Lock FAIL - need HELP
:
Jewlery for Naomi

2017-12-26 MadCo Throttle Lock Fail

Started off good enough. Simple install of MadCo throttle lock, quality product, on a 2013 FJR. I've run MadCo on KrZy8 a 2006 and love it.

What could go wrong?

Bill, the owner, is 81 and a rider. I like this man. He's cool.

the kit.

Simple enough. Remove bar weight, factory grip using probe, lube, compressed air. Yeah, done this.

All tools needed. UhHuh.

Not realizing it now, here is when is shit starts going south. I didn't pay attention to the signs. Why is this grip fo freaking hard to remove? It's fully broken free from pastic throttle tube, it's lubed, it's blown with 120 psi it ain't coming off. I'm feeling time pressure and keep forcing the issue; it's only a freaking grip!

Yep. Until it's not. I've NEVER messed with HEATED grips before and I just paid the price. Don't know that yet though..

Can't get the grip off so clamped the plastic throttle tube to the bar then grip slid right the f#@%k off.

Now for problem 1.. The MADCO throttle lock is designed, apparently for Gen2 not not Gen3 throttle housing dimensions. It won't work. The 'studs' are too short to engage and fix the lock.

Worse yet, simply extending the pins won't work either. The pins need to be another 2 to 3 mm lower, and 7-10mm longer, rough numbers.

So here's where taking pic is so important and I wish I had learned earlier, paid attention. I was time pressured and knee hurting, a simple job. Right.

Long of short, I could not find my special built 90 degree screwdrive to lift the grip at throttle housing to squirt lube. I did not have adequate light to see the heated grip, unlike a 'regular' grip, extended into the housing for the wires that connect the heating elements.

So I poked with a sharp 90 degree SnapOn tool, punctured the freaking heater wires, and worse, not knowing the indexing between the grip and throttle tube, managed to basically fuck up heated grip. Yeah, it still works for now but insulation is broken, exposed wires, it's toast.

Here's how it is supposed to look, I think.

So then, does anyone have a good pix tutorial of how to reassemlbe a thorttle assembly? I don't have a Gen3 manual yet.. My bad. And I got trapped into the 'schedule' as I'm running out of time before I go back to work after knee replacement.

So, I screwed the pooch. I'm ordering a new headed grip assembly. My bad.

If you have a most coolio description of how to reassemble.. please help me.

dcarver

You don’t want me advising you on anything mechanical. But I’ll send you my manual if you want.

You don’t want me advising you on anything mechanical. But I’ll send you my manual if you want.
Funny thing. Now that I look, I DO have a 2013-2015 manual. Not much help though..

Guessing I won't be ordering one of these. 14 ECU looks cheaper, JSNS
I'll contact Bill at Madco to see if he's interested in modifying the original design to fit the later model bikes. I don't think he will, not enough market. And, frankly, for heated grips installs, any lock requiring grip/tube removal is a PITA.

On the other hand, having a thumb lock vs. outer ring lock is very nice indeed.

After looking at pics and working in daylight got mine back together. More later on how.

Why a throttle lock on a bike equipped with cruise? For the times you want to be able to rest the right hand when doing more than the 80 mph cruise limit for the '13 FJR?

Two words DC...Go Cruise.

...and for resting your hand w/o engaging the cruise, cramp buster.
rolleyes.gif

--G

Why a throttle lock on a bike equipped with cruise? For the times you want to be able to rest the right hand when doing more than the 80 mph cruise limit for the '13 FJR?
I actually changed the ECU to allow > 80 CC. There are times where it's just as easy to use TL, even at low speeds. And besides, it looks blingy!

Two words DC...Go Cruise.
...and for resting your hand w/o engaging the cruise, cramp buster.
rolleyes.gif

--G
Now you freaking tell me? LOL. Tx for the tip. Just ordered one up...
punk.gif

I agree with DCarver, having a thumb lock on the throttle grip is damn handy. I miss my Vista Cruise from my Ascot and Venture. Just a flick of the thumb as you pick your hand off the grip, at any speed. It even worked when the bike was on center stand and in neutral when setting at a given RPM for maintenance reasons. Having heated grips on my 3 Advanced Edition FJRs kept me from installing one. Engaging the MotorCycle Cruze just isnt the same.

Brodie

😳