Givi E250 mounted to Premier Cycle's topbox rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have a picture showing how to connect the Givi E250 to the Premier Cycle Accessories top box rack?E250

FJR Topbox Rack

The top box rack is already installed, but cannot seem to figure out how to mount the E250 to it.

Thanks

John T,

I have mine all done up. I will try and take some pics for you tomorrow. Your rack should of came with 2 smaller screws that fit the pre threaded holes on the rack specifically for the Givi system. I fit mine so I could still get the backrest on and off without removing the base plate. I did have to drill through the plastic of the base plate for the 3rd rear bolt(so I could put it on and off without removing the base from the rack). What I did (to clean up the install) was used 5 black zip ties on the rear portion of the rack to secure it rather than the bolts and plates. I did this so you didnt have to look at nuts/bolts hanging down below the rack from the rear. I did not drill through the cover plate(that screws down on the base) for the 3rd bolt to the bike just beneath it. So for me to remove my rack I do have to take off that cover to get at the 3rd bolt to the bike. It worked out really slick. I will try and ost some pics for ya.

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Your rack should of came with 2 smaller screws that fit the pre threaded holes on the rack specifically for the Givi system.
WW
Thank you,

This is my problem.

The rack did not come with 2 smaller screws and the larger screws that came with the E250 just does not work. I will give Preimer a call tomorrow and get the missing screws.

Does anyone have a picture showing how to connect the Givi E250 to the Premier Cycle Accessories top box rack?E250

FJR Topbox Rack

The top box rack is already installed, but cannot seem to figure out how to mount the E250 to it.

Thanks
I just got the Premier Cycle Accessories top box rack and the Givi E250 rack this week. The Premier Cycle Accessories rack came with detailed instructions and and two small bolts to use for the two forward most locations. The instructions say to use the Givi supplied bolts for the rear position.

I plan to install it on Saturday - will take pics and post if no one does sooner

Your rack should of came with 2 smaller screws that fit the pre threaded holes on the rack specifically for the Givi system.
WW
Thank you,

This is my problem.

The rack did not come with 2 smaller screws and the larger screws that came with the E250 just does not work. I will give Preimer a call tomorrow and get the missing screws.
according to the Premier Cycle Accessories instructions the missing bolts are M6 x 1 mm x 12 mm allen head cap bolts - it might be quicker to go to your local hardware store and purchase the two bolts :)

FJR Topbox Rack

Thanks
I just got the Premier Cycle Accessories top box rack and the Givi E250 rack this week. The Premier Cycle Accessories rack came with detailed instructions and and two small bolts to use for the two forward most locations. The instructions say to use the Givi supplied bolts for the rear position.

I plan to install it on Saturday - will take pics and post if no one does sooner

WW
Thank you,

This is my problem.

according to the Premier Cycle Accessories instructions the missing bolts are M6 x 1 mm x 12 mm allen head cap bolts - it might be quicker to go to your local hardware store and purchase the two bolts :)

Wow, I wonder who packed my order. All that was in my box was the rack and receipt.

This might be my fault though. They were shipping my order out for me in a hurry to get it before a trip. Premeir did a great job, but UPS dropped the ball and I did not get the order in time.

I took pictures during my install of the Premiers topbox rack and Givi E250 plate

This picture is the stock tail rack

stock.jpg

After removing the bolts - there are no washers under the bolts

boltsremoved.jpg

The underside of the Premier Cycle topcase rack

the three standoffs line up perfectly with the factory bolts and there is a rubber pad to protect the factory rack.

undersideOHFJRrack.jpg

torquing the bolts - I think the factory torque setting is 15 ft/lbs

torquingbolts.jpg

The Premier rack comes with instructions and two short bolts for installing the Givi E250 adapter plate

instructionsandshortbolts.jpg

You do use some the hardware that comes with the Givi E250

Giviboltsandbrackets.jpg

You use the four square washers supplied by Givi - use the short M6 x 1 x 12 mm bolts (supplied by Premier) in the front two washers. They screw into the holes that Premier has drilled and tapped. You use the M6 x 1 x 30 mm bolts and nuts Givi supplies bolts on the rear.

E250plateinstallled.jpg

The Givi bolts are too long - they are about 5 mm too long

Giviboltstoolong.jpg

I went to my local hardware store and bought two black M6 x 1 x 25 mm - they are almost the perfect length!

shorterbolts.jpg

The final step is to place the plastic insert in the Givi plate and fix in place using the four tiny black screws provided by Givi

withcoverinstalled.jpg

All done!

But now for the rest of the story... be very careful tightening the front two bolts - they only go into the aluminum Premier rack - so don't over do it! I did - so off comes the rack, I drill 7/32" hole and tap in new threads M6 x 1 mm - so this is how it finally went together...

afterdrillingandtapping.jpg

newshorterbolts.jpg

I sure like my Givi tail bag - my work computer fits it! I bought the plain jane Givi E45NJ

John T, ColoradoFjr, and Rickster,
Here is how I did my Givi 250 base on OHFJR's sm touring rack...I like the way it got rid of the bolts/clamps hanging down. I also added a hole in the bottom of the base(not cover)for "quick On/off's"....Accessing the 3rd bolt to the bike.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=20#entry261048

WW
Hi WW

I agree about not using the extra long Givi supplied bolts. I found some black metric bolts but tried unsuccessfully to find some black metric nuts with the nylon inserts.

IMHO you are putting a lot of faith in the zip/cable ties - based on how easy it was to strip the threads on one of the front bolts, I believe the majority of the holding grip comes the the two rear through bolts. They sandwich the Premier rack and E250 together. If the through bolts are not important, why not just drill and tap two more holes on the rear of the Premier rack - like the front two - would make a very clean install! (Care to comment OHFJR?)

I have installed some zip ties on my car (installing a receiver hitch) in the winter (above freezing) but found that the zip ties got very brittle and had no strength. I would check them often, especially if you put any weight in your top case.

John T, ColoradoFjr, and Rickster,
Here is how I did my Givi 250 base on OHFJR's sm touring rack...I like the way it got rid of the bolts/clamps hanging down. I also added a hole in the bottom of the base(not cover)for "quick On/off's"....Accessing the 3rd bolt to the bike.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=20#entry261048

WW
Hi WW

I agree about not using the extra long Givi supplied bolts. I found some black metric bolts but tried unsuccessfully to find some black metric nuts with the nylon inserts.

IMHO you are putting a lot of faith in the zip/cable ties - based on how easy it was to strip the threads on one of the front bolts, I believe the majority of the holding grip comes the the two rear through bolts. They sandwich the Premier rack and E250 together. If the through bolts are not important, why not just drill and tap two more holes on the rear of the Premier rack - like the front two - would make a very clean install! (Care to comment OHFJR?)

I have installed some zip ties on my car (installing a receiver hitch) in the winter (above freezing) but found that the zip ties got very brittle and had no strength. I would check them often, especially if you put any weight in your top case.

Co FJR,

I used 5 med(not small ones for wires)zip ties in the place of the 2 rear bolts and I still used the 2 front Allen bolts. One med zip tie is rated to hold over 250 lbs of vertical tension. Try it. ... Take a med zip tie and close it(leave it open as big as possible) over something strong(to hang from). Put on a glove(to save your hand) and start hanging from it... Even if you are closer to 300 lbs you wont break it. Then you can trust the strength of them too!! I did this... Lost a bet to a friend over it. I do like to make sure things stay put...that is why I used four of them. I hear ya on the extreme cold...Winters here in MN.. are pretty extreme...Try as I might... I wont be riding in below zero temps BUT... I do make it a habit to do some regular safety inspections of my bikes and checking these straps is one of them. Have had it setup for about a week now and no problems yet....I do like your idea of self tapping two more Allen's in the rack. I would be willing to bet that if I took a large flat head screw driver and began prying between the base and the rack, the plastic givi250 base will began to come apart before the 5 zip ties let go.....That is plenty strong for me.

WW

Co FJR,I used 4 med(not small ones for wires)zip ties in the place of the 2 rear bolts and I still used the 2 front Allen bolts. One med zip tie is rated to hold over 250 lbs of vertical tension. Try it. ... Take a med zip tie and close it(leave it open as big as possible) over something strong(to hang from). Put on a glove(to save your hand) and start hanging from it... Even if you are closer to 300 lbs you wont break it. Then you can trust the strength of them too!! I did this... Lost a bet to a friend over it. <snip>
Hi WW

I will have to remember this bet as a way to get a few free beers :D

what size do you consider medium?

I have some that are 3/16" wide... I am not sure they would hold 250 pounds...

Co FJR,I used 5 med(not small ones for wires)zip ties in the place of the 2 rear bolts and I still used the 2 front Allen bolts. One med zip tie is rated to hold over 250 lbs of vertical tension. Try it. ... Take a med zip tie and close it(leave it open as big as possible) over something strong(to hang from). Put on a glove(to save your hand) and start hanging from it... Even if you are closer to 300 lbs you wont break it. Then you can trust the strength of them too!! I did this... Lost a bet to a friend over it. <snip>
Hi WW

Hey Hey CO,

Ya, You got me curious so I measure them. They are 1/4 and the locking knuckle is a tad larger than 5/16th. These are the ones I lost the bet on(I weigh around 215). I checked the package of my 1/4's and it says,"Rated to hold up to 150lbs." Oops my bad on the 250lbs(thats what my buddy told me..maybe he had different ones he was referencing). But they are obviously conservative on their weight claims...

Oh ya, I did find a package of some clear zip ties that were smaller(measured a little under 3/16) and the package said they were rated for up to 50lbs. You could use your 3/16ths.... 4 of them would add up to add least 200lbs of up force tension strength...Hell use 6 and get 300lbs worth(this is without considering the 2 Allen's up front). Remember the rack and box is only recommended up to 40lbs(down force).

I'll bet if you pulled up on your box/base with 300lbs pounds of force, you would snap the box clean off the base. I guess just my five straps alone(together)equal 750lbs of strength according to the manufacturer(not including the two front Allen's). Guess that is why I wasn't worried about them failing.

This setup is better than just the two rear bolts anyway...What do you think the weight rating of that 1/8th thickness of black plastic (between the bolts/washers and rack/base) is? At least the zip ties give you that 1/8th part of the horizontal plastic and the other 1/2 of vertical plastic too!!

Dump the rear bolts Bro...You'll be fine... And your bike will look fine too!!!

WW

ColoradoFJR, I see you had an issue with the right front thread as well. This is my second rack and the first one did not have thread problem. This second batch I got like few weeks ago and it got bad almost from the start. I wonder if they had some manufacturing problem with that particular thread. Not a big deal, just have to get around and either re thread it or put a new whole into the rack. Other wise great product.

OHFJR, if you are reading it I still owe you the shipment of the original back. Just could not find time to get to the UPS store lately. Will try to get there in the next week the latest.

ColoradoFJR, I see you had an issue with the right front thread as well. This is my second rack and the first one did not have thread problem. This second batch I got like few weeks ago and it got bad almost from the start. I wonder if they had some manufacturing problem with that particular thread. Not a big deal, just have to get around and either re thread it or put a new whole into the rack. Other wise great product.
OHFJR, if you are reading it I still owe you the shipment of the original back. Just could not find time to get to the UPS store lately. Will try to get there in the next week the latest.
I also suspect that something was amiss with the right front. I had tightened the left front with no problem. Was tightening the right front (I don't think I was using as much force as the left side) when the threads let go... Drilled and tapped new hole. Everything fine now...

Co FJR,I used 4 med(not small ones for wires)zip ties in the place of the 2 rear bolts and I still used the 2 front Allen bolts. One med zip tie is rated to hold over 250 lbs of vertical tension. Try it. ... Take a med zip tie and close it(leave it open as big as possible) over something strong(to hang from). Put on a glove(to save your hand) and start hanging from it... Even if you are closer to 300 lbs you wont break it. Then you can trust the strength of them too!! I did this... Lost a bet to a friend over it. <snip>
Hi WW

Hey Hey CO,

Ya, You got me curious so I measure them. They are 1/4 and the locking knuckle is a tad larger than 5/16th. These are the ones I lost the bet on(I weigh around 215). I checked the package of my 1/4's and it says,"Rated to hold up to 150lbs." Oops my bad on the 250lbs(thats what my buddy told me..maybe he had different ones he was referencing). But they are obviously conservative on their weight claims...

Oh ya, I did find a package of some clear zip ties that were smaller(measured a little under 3/16) and the package said they were rated for up to 50lbs. You could use your 3/16ths.... 4 of them would add up to add least 200lbs of up force tension strength...Hell use 6 and get 300lbs worth(this is without considering the 2 Allen's up front). Remember the rack and box is only recommended up to 40lbs(down force).

I'll bet if you pulled up on your box/base with 300lbs pounds of force, you would snap the box clean off the base. I guess just my four straps alone(together)equal 600lbs of strength according to the manufacturer(not including the two front Allen's). Guess that is why I wasn't worried about them failing.

This setup is better than just the two rear bolts anyway...What do you think the weight rating of that 1/8th thickness of black plastic (between the bolts/washers and rack/base) is? At least the zip ties give you that 1/8th part of the horizontal plastic and the other 1/2 of vertical plastic too!!

WW
Maybe I should cover all bases --- add zips ties & leave the bolts :)

I had a Givi Wingrack and Givi cases on my VX800. I had a low speed drop on a greasy road behind a garbage truck. The Givi side case took quite a jolt and came through with just some scuffs. I have a lot of trust in the toughness of the Givi cases and mounts.

COFJR

Co FJR,I used 5 med(not small ones for wires)zip ties in the place of the 2 rear bolts and I still used the 2 front Allen bolts. One med zip tie is rated to hold over 250 lbs of vertical tension. Try it. ... Take a med zip tie and close it(leave it open as big as possible) over something strong(to hang from). Put on a glove(to save your hand) and start hanging from it... Even if you are closer to 300 lbs you wont break it. Then you can trust the strength of them too!! I did this... Lost a bet to a friend over it. <snip>
Hi WW

Hey Hey CO,

I'll bet if you pulled up on your box/base with 300lbs pounds of force, you would snap the box clean off the base. I guess just my five straps alone(together)equal 750lbs of strength according to the manufacturer(not including the two front Allen's). Guess that is why I wasn't worried about them failing.

WW
Maybe I should cover all bases --- add zips ties & leave the bolts :)

I had a Givi Wingrack and Givi cases on my VX800. I had a low speed drop on a greasy road behind a garbage truck. The Givi side case took quite a jolt and came through with just some scuffs. I have a lot of trust in the toughness of the Givi cases and mounts.

COFJR

COFJR,

I like hearing how tuff my E52 is!! Thanks. Your right, you can never cover enough basis!!

WW