Givi V46 install on my 05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had same Issue when I went to install the rack on my 04. It was Hell!! I did try thr filing thing but it wasnt even close. Ended up heading to the family business which are welders and doing a proper fit Mod. Once that was done fit way better.
Live to Ride,

I was thinking the exact same thing. Seems that in the research I did about the Givis, several had posted problems with the install. I figured it was normal. Oh well.

I I'd really like it if Givi made a box in the 40 liter neighborhood. I think one just a bit smaller than the 46 would look more proportionate to the bike.
Sarge,

But then it would lose the ability to store two helmets. I'm really starting to like this.

Ding ding! Yes, I'm in the Dallas area, grew up in Florida...
Gix,

So you jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire? We rarely get over 93 or so where I live. Humidy's been hovering in the mid 70's lately... our typical summer.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
...you can hate me, it's okay. I spent a total of 15 minutes last weekend getting a brand new SR357 GIVI base mounted to my GenII '06. <_< Was actually very surprised everything lined up great and tightened down smoothly. Expected a lot bigger fight somewhere in the install.

Bummer yours was such a pain, but nice clean install after you are all finished. Happy riding, I'm loving my E52 case! :yahoo:
Hey Link,

Ya know you oughta be shot for having such an easy time of it. I wish I'd known how they were supposed to fit. The little bit of forum research I did... spoke of fitment issues and required filing. Oh well.

Yep, that's crazy for it to take that much time. I suspect you got a lemon because I've never heard of a Givi being that much trouble.
Gix

Lemon. You spelled it right. Wish you'd been here yesterday when I began this mess. I'd-a snet it back for sure.

Full marks Gary for sticking with it when a lot of us would've thrown it back at them, and a classy fitting job well posted too.

You musta got the Friday afternoon just before the siesta and no QC version, no excuse for that.

Still you broke the workshop in anyway.

P.S. It's only just occured to me looking at your pics, by how much do you reckon the install increases the length of the bike? If I was to have the same set up it might impact my garage parking situation.Thanks
Yumm,

I would have done plenty of throwing it yesterday, but I didn't want to mess up the finish. Just think, had you gotten the box instead of me, and ordered the mount like I did, this might have been your dilemma. Anen't you glad?? QC you say? Don't think they have any such thing. When I was in a tool and die shop years ago, somebody would have lost their job for turning out something like that. But I suppose you can't really compare in a market where lemons just get sent back for refund or replacement with no questions asked... normally. Extra length? The rack itself, 3 and 1/4 inches back from the tip of the tail light. The box, 6 and 1/2 total.

Wow. You must have gotten a bent rack or something. I have exactly the same rack and box and mine went right in with no adjusting.
Just goes to show that Givi takes extra care of their more respected customers. Must be your reputation...

I currently run with a cheap Chinese top box I found on eBay.

Maybe my rack was made by some Chinese copycat company. You might have something there.

Wow. You must have gotten a bent rack or something. I have exactly the same rack and box and mine went right in with no adjusting.
+1 to the above. I have the same rack and the same year bike and mine just bolted on easy as pie. Since you'd bought it new, I would have sent it back. You had to take a lot of metal off of those brackets which will result in a somewhat weaker structure.

PS - any chance that your rear subframe is whacked?
Hey Dub, good to hear from ya.

If I knew what you fine fellers know, I probably would have indeed sent it back. Oh well. It's done and that rack looks like it could hold 300 pounds, it's so well made. The problem, basically, was the square mounts that extend down through the rear plastic and get bolted up under the seat. Looking back, I can see that they were supposed to be parallel with each other. They were "skewed" about 5 degrees, maybe a little more. Something obviously wasn't done right at the factory. Sounds like Givi has a much better rep than I was thinking yesterday. My rear subframe? My factory rack fits perfectly. There doesn't appear to have ever been any damage done. But without looking carefully at someone else's bike, little clues are easy to miss. Thanks for the input.

Gary

darksider #44

Gary

LOL.I was going to take the easy way and got the PCA rack that was selling as well as the Givi and figured for what I aim to carry in it there would enough strength there. I have all my trade tools at home at the moment but wouldn't have wanted that type of agro with a brand new part to use them on.

Thanks for the overhang measurements, that won't cause me any problem after all but it's good to be sure.

Yea, one hot for the other. When I came out here to look for an apartment, it was October and still a smidge warm. I was wearing blue jeans and a black t-shirt. The lady showing me apartments was complaining about how bad the humidity was but I couldn't feel a thing, it was a nice dry day for me. I've been here since 1998 and only in recent years have I started to actually be able to feel what a "Bad" day is like here. It's still better than a good day in Tampa. That of course doesn't apply once you start getting close to the coast like Houston. But I am happy that I can actually make it from my front door to my car without feeling like I need another shower. None of that sticky feeling stuff up here. Yuck.

I'm still trying to talk the wife into moving us closer to the mountains. Our bust of 13 months in Cleveland didn't work out so well in helping her separate from all her family here so it remains difficult.