Givi V46 install on my 05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
Once again, I'm thankful for this forum and especially its classified section. Last week I bought a Givi V46 in really nice condition from Jagemeister. He offered me a great price and shipped it promptly. The V 46 arrived on time and is in great shape. I also ordered the standard Gen 1 rack -new- from Givi to mount it to the bike. I spent most of the summer turning my old shed into a new workshop, and now that it's done, I decided to make the FJR my first "customer." The 72 Honda CL350 cafe racer project will have to wait a little longer. So, I pulled the FJR into the workshop, kicked on the lights and got started. With the V46 on one side and the new Givi rack on the other, I began removing the FJR's factory luggage rack.

Below, once the seat and factory rack were removed, below you see that the initial attempt to insert that new rack into the factory holes didn't work so well. About 3/16 of an inch needed to be removed (half from each side) from the square holes in the FJR's rear cowl... just behind the seat. The Givi brackets were too close together. A small file and a lot of patience did the trick.

CIMG1052.jpg

After about an hour of careful filing, I discovered that the lower rail that attaches beneath the seat didn't line up so well either. More filing. Note the tape I put around the FJR's rectangular cutout to mark the edges where I wanted to finish my new "edge."

CIMG1053.jpg

Below, I had to file maybe 1/32 from the back of this center hole once the rack was inserted into location. Finally got this bolt in place.

CIMG1055.jpg

However, there was no way this bolt (or the one on the left side of the bike) would go into the threads on the FJR. The bolt is cross-theaded here, but only lightly finger-tightened... no harm done. The brackets were twisted perhaps 5 degrees out of parallel with each other, and the holes were out of location by perhaps 1/8 inch on each side.

CIMG1056.jpg

Below, I spent perhaps an hour filing and trial fitting. All this physical labor and the rising sun made it necessary to close the doors and kick on the air. All the time I spent insulating the workshop paid off. The rest of this job was completed at about 76 degrees. Once the trial fitting was done, I shot a little silver paint on the areas I filed...

CIMG1057.jpg

I finally got it installed... about 4 hours at this point...

CIMG1058.jpg

But if you look closely (below), you can see that this right side bracket doesn't sit square with the bolt. The bolt is tightened to about 5 ft lbs here. I didn't want to torque it any more as it would just stress the bracket. Plenty of blue Locktite made sure that the bolt won't be loosening on it's own. Not sure what else to do with this... the bracket is pretty solid. Considering that the stresses on this particular bracket with be mostly up and down, it should hold up fine.

CIMG1059.jpg

Thought I was about done, but when I went to put the black top plate on, the front corners were hitting the steel bracket and needed some filing as well... hence the tape.

CIMG1061.jpg

Back to the bench for a little filing and trial fitting, and bingo.

CIMG1060.jpg

Finally. It's all together and my Corbin's back in place. However, when I tried to install the V46 on the new rack,

CIMG1062.jpg

I was reminded that the backrest would have to go.

CIMG1063.jpg

So it's done, looks and works great and I'm wondering... anybody else out there have this much trouble getting a Givi rack to fit their Gen 1 FJR? I knew from researching the forum that a little filing might be necessary, but GEEZ. I think it took me something like 5 hours all together. OK, fine, part of that was spent trying to fish a spacer out of the abyss of the tail section after it fell down in there. Nothing that some patience and my little extendo-maget couldn't handle. But it sure took some time.

I was worried that the silver wouldn't match, but with all the other silver items on the FJR, it looks just fine to me.

I know this type of installation has been covered before, but thought you'd enjoy the show.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
...you can hate me, it's okay. I spent a total of 15 minutes last weekend getting a brand new SR357 GIVI base mounted to my GenII '06. <_< Was actually very surprised everything lined up great and tightened down smoothly. Expected a lot bigger fight somewhere in the install.

Bummer yours was such a pain, but nice clean install after you are all finished. Happy riding, I'm loving my E52 case! :yahoo:

Yep, that's crazy for it to take that much time. I suspect you got a lemon because I've never heard of a Givi being that much trouble. The one I have for an FZ1 mounts up so perfectly you'd think it was factory. Heck, on trips I'd sometimes bring along the stock handles because I can swap it out so fast and the bike looks better without the Givi on it when it's not being used. Here's hoping my Shad mounts up easier.

Full marks Gary for sticking with it when a lot of us would've thrown it back at them, and a classy fitting job well posted too.

You musta got the Friday afternoon just before the siesta and no QC version, no excuse for that.

Still you broke the workshop in anyway.

P.S. It's only just occured to me looking at your pics, by how much do you reckon the install increases the length of the bike? If I was to have the same set up it might impact my garage parking situation.Thanks

Wow. You must have gotten a bent rack or something. I have exactly the same rack and box and mine went right in with no adjusting.

I currently run with a cheap Chinese top box I found on eBay. It works, but it's too small, leaks when riding in steady rain, and leaves me wanting my old Givi back. So I was disheartened to hear how much trouble you had with the Givi mount on your Gen I. But based on others input, it sounds like you may have simply received a rare Givi lemon. Glad to hear that all your efforts paid off in the end.

Wow. You must have gotten a bent rack or something. I have exactly the same rack and box and mine went right in with no adjusting.
+1 to the above. I have the same rack and the same year bike and mine just bolted on easy as pie. Since you'd bought it new, I would have sent it back. You had to take a lot of metal off of those brackets which will result in a somewhat weaker structure.

PS - any chance that your rear subframe is whacked?

...you can hate me, it's okay. I spent a total of 15 minutes last weekend getting a brand new SR357 GIVI base mounted to my GenII '06. <_< Was actually very surprised everything lined up great and tightened down smoothly. Expected a lot bigger fight somewhere in the install.

Bummer yours was such a pain, but nice clean install after you are all finished. Happy riding, I'm loving my E52 case! :yahoo:
Hey Link,

Ya know you oughta be shot for having such an easy time of it. I wish I'd known how they were supposed to fit. The little bit of forum research I did... spoke of fitment issues and required filing. Oh well.

Yep, that's crazy for it to take that much time. I suspect you got a lemon because I've never heard of a Givi being that much trouble.
Gix

Lemon. You spelled it right. Wish you'd been here yesterday when I began this mess. I'd-a snet it back for sure.

Full marks Gary for sticking with it when a lot of us would've thrown it back at them, and a classy fitting job well posted too.

You musta got the Friday afternoon just before the siesta and no QC version, no excuse for that.

Still you broke the workshop in anyway.

P.S. It's only just occured to me looking at your pics, by how much do you reckon the install increases the length of the bike? If I was to have the same set up it might impact my garage parking situation.Thanks
Yumm,

I would have done plenty of throwing it yesterday, but I didn't want to mess up the finish. Just think, had you gotten the box instead of me, and ordered the mount like I did, this might have been your dilemma. Anen't you glad?? QC you say? Don't think they have any such thing. When I was in a tool and die shop years ago, somebody would have lost their job for turning out something like that. But I suppose you can't really compare in a market where lemons just get sent back for refund or replacement with no questions asked... normally. Extra length? The rack itself, 3 and 1/4 inches back from the tip of the tail light. The box, 6 and 1/2 total.

Just goes to show that Givi takes extra care of their more respected customers. Must be your reputation...

I currently run with a cheap Chinese top box I found on eBay.

Maybe my rack was made by some Chinese copycat company. You might have something there.

+1 to the above. I have the same rack and the same year bike and mine just bolted on easy as pie. Since you'd bought it new, I would have sent it back. You had to take a lot of metal off of those brackets which will result in a somewhat weaker structure.

PS - any chance that your rear subframe is whacked?
Hey Dub, good to hear from ya.

If I knew what you fine fellers know, I probably would have indeed sent it back. Oh well. It's done and that rack looks like it could hold 300 pounds, it's so well made. The problem, basically, was the square mounts that extend down through the rear plastic and get bolted up under the seat. Looking back, I can see that they were supposed to be parallel with each other. They were "skewed" about 5 degrees, maybe a little more. Something obviously wasn't done right at the factory. Sounds like Givi has a much better rep than I was thinking yesterday. My rear subframe? My factory rack fits perfectly. There doesn't appear to have ever been any damage done. But without looking carefully at someone else's bike, little clues are easy to miss. Thanks for the input.

Gary

darksider #44

I had same Issue when I went to install the rack on my 04. It was Hell!! I did try thr filing thing but it wasnt even close. Ended up heading to the family business which are welders and doing a proper fit Mod. Once that was done fit way better.

I also had issues when I put the Ventura on mmy Tuono. Just thinking they build things close then the rest is up to us...lol

Cheers!

I just installed a V46 to my 2006AE yesterday with a Givi SR357 mount. I've never been a real big top box fan but I need it. No problem with the mount here either. Everything fit just the way it's suppose to. That V46 looks good up there! I'd really like it if Givi made a box in the 40 liter neighborhood. I think one just a bit smaller than the 46 would look more proportionate to the bike.

Thankfully, I didn't have any fitting problems with mine. 20 minutes and it was done.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest a little locktite on the bolts. I had mine loosen once.

The mount provides significant additional rigidity to the rear subframe, so its a much better solution than the Yamaha topbox. It is also an excellent mounting point for an auxiliary fuel tank if you ever go that flavor of crazy ;)

Thankfully, I didn't have any fitting problems with mine. 20 minutes and it was done.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest a little locktite on the bolts. I had mine loosen once.

The mount provides significant additional rigidity to the rear subframe, so its a much better solution than the Yamaha topbox. It is also an excellent mounting point for an auxiliary fuel tank if you ever go that flavor of crazy ;)
That's a good idea! It would also be a great platform to install a cargo rack onto! Just thinking here.....lots of good ideas for the mount.

Hey Sarge,

I agree with you on the 46 liter model. Some of the larger boxes and other mounts look out of place on the FJR. I really like mine.

Need some help here. I'm having a hard time opening the red document holder. I assume you grab it and pull it off/over the pin that secures it. However, my V46 (purchased used) is really locked down. I'm afraid to pull any harder. How do ya get it to open?

Also, yes, I used Loctite on everything. Ya didn't read all of my post did ja?

Gary

darksider #44

Need some help here. I'm having a hard time opening the red document holder. I assume you grab it and pull it off/over the pin that secures it. However, my V46 (purchased used) is really locked down. I'm afraid to pull any harder. How do ya get it to open?
Yeah, as I recall you are supposed to squeeze that "catch" from the sides and pull the lid away. [edit] nevermind, I just pulled mine out and looked at it. You just yank on the red lid. Nothing to squeeze.

But I removed mine about the second day of ownership. I like the extra space more than the "stash" location.

Gix

Lemon. You spelled it right. Wish you'd been here yesterday when I began this mess. I'd-a snet it back for sure.
Too damn humid in Florida. And oddly, you guys have been hotter than us this week on some days. No thanks, I'll stay here. :D

Gix

Too damn humid in Florida. And oddly, you guys have been hotter than us this week on some days. No thanks, I'll stay here. :D
Where ya located? Your avatar info says DFW. We supposed to know what that is? I'm thinking it means Down Front by the Water. Since you were surprised that Fla was hotter... let's see, Texas? Arizona? Out in the desert somewhere?

Gary

darksider #44

Gix

Where ya located? Your avatar info says DFW. We supposed to know what that is? I'm thinking it means Down Front by the Water. Since you were surprised that Fla was hotter... let's see, Texas? Arizona? Out in the desert somewhere?

Gary

darksider #44
DFW generally stands for Dallas Ft Worth.

Ding ding! Yes, I'm in the Dallas area, grew up in Florida just a smidge south of you and visit there regularly as my family is still down there. :D