Glove Box Removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadioHowie

I Miss Beemerdons!
Reaction score
I want to pull the glove box out of my '04 to work on the lock mechanism to see if I can repair it.

What the blue hell is holding that thing in there? My FSM doesn't show a decent picture.

Do I have to take the entire nose of the bike off? Or are there a couple of screws to remove to lift it out? I found one screw at the top-right outside of the box if you were looking at it from the steering head area, but don't see anything else.

The A,B,C & D panels are already out in preparation of a new battery, so I figured no time better than now to yank the glove box outta there.

I want to pull the glove box out of my '04 to work on the lock mechanism to see if I can repair it.

What the blue hell is holding that thing in there? My FSM doesn't show a decent picture.

Do I have to take the entire nose of the bike off? Or are there a couple of screws to remove to lift it out? I found one screw at the top-right outside of the box if you were looking at it from the steering head area, but don't see anything else.

The A,B,C & D panels are already out in preparation of a new battery, so I figured no time better than now to yank the glove box outta there.
There is a 5mm bolt that holds the top-forward corner to the nose cone. It's nearly invisible, and I don't use that bolt on reinstall. Use an inspection mirror and all will be obvious. Also, you will have to release the electric connector on the latch solenoid to lift it out. Here is a link to a better parts fische. The bolt is #67.

I'm going to guess you will be disappointed to find the broken part is an extremely small piece of white plastic with a barbed end that holds the latch, but you might be able to rebuild a substitute.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the solution to your problems require too much $ for part replacement-

(As was the case with mne)

There are other alternatives. I wasn't willing to fork over the $ for the fix, so

I went to the local Home Depot and got a cheap magnetic door catch. The spring

loaded kind found with kitchen cabinets. It works great. Push down on the top of

the door and it pops up 1/4 inch or so, then open the rest of the way with your

fingertips. Not lockable- but I store ear plugs and odd stuff in there. I thought of

adding a cup holder in mine also.

-Tony

I'll start thinking about alternatives AFTER I can get this beotch outta the fairing to tear it apart.

Looking forward to it! :D

Holy Crap, whadda nightmare just to remove the glove box!

Okay, I've removed the screws indicated by the red arrows, but there's just one little problem....the one outlined by the yellow ellipse...how the frick do you get to it?

box.jpg

Can it be removed to remove the glove box without pulling the entire nose off the bike? My hands are literally bloody and raw trying to fit them in there just to find that last screw. I'd like to get this done without removing the entire nose assembly....if someone's done it, tell me how to get to that screw/bolt.

Frankenbike's waiting on a new battery from BikeEffects, so he's off the road a couple of days.

I removed almost all the screws from the left side faring which gave me enough room to get to the screw without having to remove the panel. Have fun with the fuse blocks that attach to the box.

The latch on my FJR had a broken spring, broken plunger and the guide hole that the plunger goes through was broken. At the time I had $0.00 in my pocket so after all that work I put it back together and installed a magnetic cabinet closure latch. I tried JB Weld, chemical plastic welding and a wad of chewed gum but nothing was strong enough and yet still allowed close clearance parts to work. Now that I'm rich and famous again ;) I will change the entire friggin thing sometime this summer. I just dunno why I don't leave some things the way they are...

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed almost all the screws from the left side faring which gave me enough room to get to the screw without having to remove the panel. Have fun with the fuse blocks that attach to the box.
So what you're saying is the best/only way to get to that last screw is from underneath the nosecone, between the nose and left-side fairing? If so, I get that.

Thanks, Alan. As always, you bring the right answer (assuming you're right, and I correctly interpret what you're saying)