Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there anyone who has used the Exalto have a better experience with an alternate brand? I put a bunch of miles on the Exalto and gave up CTs for MC tires. I am thinking about giving it another go and was wondering what I should try next. The Exalto is my baseline and am looking for something that is at least marginally better.
Ross

Better than the Exalto? In what way? Better Mileage? That is probably doable. Better handling? As far as I know, there is none better than the Exalto. It just "acts" more like a MT according to what I've read on this forum: but it's the only one I've had. I can't seem to wear the dumb thing out. I posted a couple pages back where you can still get 'em (CLICKY HERE). But the supply was dwindling. I assume that they still have more on hand. I bought a new Exalto back in June or so, just to have it on hand since Michelin stopped making them 2 years ago. My old Exalto was bought new in Jan of 2011, and has 36 k on it now, but it's still a great tire and ready to eat up some more miles. By the way, why ya itchin' for a different tire?

Franko

Any tire on the front is fine. I've never heard of front tires wearing any differently with a CT on the back than they would normally. I run a PR2 on mine, FWIW.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross

Better than an Exalto? Just what do you want in a rear tire? Long life? Superior handling? Glue like adhesion? Low speed stability -as good as a motorcycle tire? All tires are a compromise, the neat thing is you have a great selection on this FJR platform. Automobile tires open up a whole new range of viable choices.

If your itchin to try dark siding again, do your research and mount another one and share with us your impressions. It's not like once you mount a tire, you're stuck with it forever. Try several out until you find one that puts a smile on your face. If you're looking for a car tire that acts exactly like a motorcycle tire in every respect - ya ain't gonna find it. The nature of the beast is such that they are going to have that dance back there. You're running a flat profile tire - it's going to want to run at a right angle to the road surface. If you can't live with that then stay with a round profile tire, and the shorter tire life that comes with it.

With that said, my experience with the General Tire G-Max is quite favorable. I now have several thousand miles on it and seldom does it remind me that it's a different animal back there. I think it is a good replacement for the discontinued Michelin Exalto. It puts a smile on my face.

Good luck, and remember these things are supposed to be fun, enjoy them!

Brodie

;-)

Ross
Better than an Exalto? Just what do you want in a rear tire? Long life? Superior handling? Glue like adhesion? Low speed stability -as good as a motorcycle tire? All tires are a compromise, the neat thing is you have a great selection on this FJR platform. Automobile tires open up a whole new range of viable choices.

If your itchin to try dark siding again, do your research and mount another one and share with us your impressions. It's not like once you mount a tire, you're stuck with it forever. Try several out until you find one that puts a smile on your face. If you're looking for a car tire that acts exactly like a motorcycle tire in every respect - ya ain't gonna find it. The nature of the beast is such that they are going to have that dance back there. You're running a flat profile tire - it's going to want to run at a right angle to the road surface. If you can't live with that then stay with a round profile tire, and the shorter tire life that comes with it.

With that said, my experience with the General Tire G-Max is quite favorable. I now have several thousand miles on it and seldom does it remind me that it's a different animal back there. I think it is a good replacement for the discontinued Michelin Exalto. It puts a smile on my face.

Brodie

;-)

WTF is the matter with you? Since when is anything supposed to be clear, coherent, and make sense around here at FJRForum???? You are RUINING the place!

Ross

Brodie

;-)
My experience with the Exalto is a couple of years ago and I was simply wondering if there is a new favorite. Reasonable mileage, decent handling (I know it isn't the same as a MC tire). I will see what I can find - probably won't do it until next season; if at all.

Ross

Go back a page or two. I posted my experience looking for my next tire, also a bit of history on the Exalto. My buddy Brian was the one who broke ground on that one.

Good luck in your quest.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

On my ST1300 I had gone what is called double-dark, using a car tire on the rear and a rear motorcycle tire on the front. At 14K when I got rid of my bike I still had lots of wear on both. On that bike I used a BT45 rear tire on the front. It had great grip, was quiet and never had any cupping. Has anyone here done that on an FJR?

Now that we have an Admin's attention… (clicky)

Just why is this thread in the NEPRT section of the forum ???

It's not off topic, it's a central part of how some of us enjoy our FJRs.

It is never ending because there is sufficient interest in this car tire alternative to keep it alive and well.

It's certainly not pointless. My recent perusal of the whole thread brought up a wealth of information germane to my search for the replacement of my end of life Exalto.

One reason it's recurring is because any attempt to spread our knowledge and enthusiasm concerning this viable alternative to the sorry state of the typical short life motorcycle tire choices, gets removed from other discussions and placed here - out of context !

It seems to me that it this 'Going to the Dark Side' thread's placement should be reviewed by the management. I'm not asking for a whole sub forum dedicated to it, just put it back to where it belongs - FJR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION.

Just my thoughts.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

One other thing...

I think the DarkSide FAQ should be Pinned in the FAQ and Common Historical Info section. There was a time when it drifted onto page 3 of that sub forum. It documents a viable alternative, available to all 3 generations of this FJR platform.

I've said enough.

Brodie

tomato.gif

One other thing...
I think the DarkSide FAQ should be Pinned in the FAQ and Common Historical Info section. There was a time when it drifted onto page 3 of that sub forum. It documents a viable alternative, available to all 3 generations of this FJR platform.

I've said enough.
Brodie

tomato.gif
I don't really care about the location of the Darkside thread but I agree that the Darkside FAQ should be somewhere findable for anyone looking for the basic information.

Edit: Brodie, I just went back and reviewed the last few pages of DS posts and saw your recent analysis. Although I generally follow this thread, I missed (or forgot about) your recent experience. Thanks.

On my ST1300 I had gone what is called double-dark, using a car tire on the rear and a rear motorcycle tire on the front. At 14K when I got rid of my bike I still had lots of wear on both. On that bike I used a BT45 rear tire on the front. It had great grip, was quiet and never had any cupping. Has anyone here done that on an FJR?
It's much more common in the Wing crowd to double darkside. Since most people are getting well over 10k on front tires on the FJR, I don't think its as popular among the FJR Darkside community. I personally can't recall seeing anyone doing it. I remember thinking about it at one point, but I sold my FJR so never got around to trying it myself. The main advantage to the rear tire on the front, (in reverse rotation), is tread depth.

@Brodie - In regards to NEPRT, Warchild, (and possibly other admins), made that call at some point. I think it may have been due to some complaints by certain non-admin whiners that attempted to start a counter opinion thread that died a quick death, and that this thread is the longest running, most viewed thread on this forum.

The FAQ should be pinned, but it's referred to in this thread and linked to many times. But it is what it is.

On my ST1300 I had gone what is called double-dark, using a car tire on the rear and a rear motorcycle tire on the front. With 14K on that set up when I got rid of my bike, I still had lots of wear left on both. On that bike I used a BT45 rear tire on the front. It had great grip, was quiet and never had any cupping. Has anyone here done that on an FJR? I am asking because my 2013 is wearing out the front tire faster than the back. I have the original B23's still on at 6,500 miles.

Do you still have any double dark pIcs?

And 6500 is not bad out of the OEM 'Stonies. Try a set of PR2's and keep the air pressure up to 40/42-ish land. Longevity of the PR2's (or 4's if you ride a lot of rain) may get you out of thinking 'Dark'.

It often seems the front is wearing faster, but on the average with PR2's I get 15-18k on the rear and 25-28 on the front.

I cannot comment on the effect that a rear would wear on the front, but I think if you try a different tire first you might find

happiness without the double dark.

Congrats on your UPGRADE!

It often seems the front is wearing faster, but on the average with PR2's I get 15-18k on the rear and 25-28 on the front.I cannot comment on the effect that a rear would wear on the front, but I think if you try a different tire first you might find

happiness without the double dark.

Congrats on your UPGRADE!
I agree totally, but Tony... you are spanking me down on the longevity. wow.

And as said in numerous threads, it all depends on your riding, roads, weight; 1up/2up, braking heavily into turns, fast acceleration etc etc...

But you got my attention w those numbers. Cudo's!!! :)

Well the first chapter in my Darksiding journey recently came to a slightly premature end. Tire is an Exalto,

I was two-up in Monterey, CA about to head down Highway 1 for some scenic riding with the girlfriend. Stopped at a red light, and when it turned green and I took off I knew there was something immediately wrong and that it was a flat rear tire. And I am here to tell you that a flat car tire on the rear is even worse that a flat motorcycle tire on the rear! Holy cow was that thing squirming all over the place! Hobbled it over to a gas station that was fortunately very nearby and this is the only thing I could find:

Another pic for reference:

Used the station's compressor and sure enough that was where the air was coming out of. Plugged it with THREE sticky strings and tired airing it up. Still leaking.
sadsmiley.gif
Stuck one more sticky string in there and VOILA! Holding air! Even after a brief test ride. Well, that FOUR sticky string repair got me and the g/f the 7 miles back to the hotel, held air overnight, and the 6 miles to a dealership the next morning for a new tire. You gotta love those sticky strings!

At the dealership, guy comes out and tells me they have never seen anything so big inside a flat tire. Take a gander for yourself.

Yikes!

So as you can see by the wear bars in the first photo I was nearing the end of life for this tire but couldn't quite get it there. 39,000 miles on this tire when it came off. I am sure it would have taken me to 40-42k.

The only thing that was weird was that it wore unevenly from left to right. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of it but the right side of the tire was just about at the wear bars. The tire wore more from right to left. Counter to what I would have guessed. It was fairly consistent across the tire also, the center not wearing differently.

About 23k on another Exalto on a different FJR currently so we shall see how that one wears.