Going to the sandbox for a while

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a safe trip! I've been deploying since late '03, on my 5th deployment, and I've been doing all the stuff you have listed, except I just hook up the Battery Tender with the batt still in the bike. I have the wife move the Batt Tender from bike to bike once or twice a month(I remind her when I'm making our lovely Morale Calls) I have never had a problem with rodents or anything chewing up the electrics, but I DO check the air filter before I air up the tires after I get home.

Also, make sure you spend some time in a parking lot to re-hone your riding skills after you return.

Cheers!

Have a safe trip! I've been deploying since late '03, on my 5th deployment, and I've been doing all the stuff you have listed, except I just hook up the Battery Tender with the batt still in the bike. I have the wife move the Batt Tender from bike to bike once or twice a month(I remind her when I'm making our lovely Morale Calls) I have never had a problem with rodents or anything chewing up the electrics, but I DO check the air filter before I air up the tires after I get home.
Also, make sure you spend some time in a parking lot to re-hone your riding skills after you return.

Cheers!
Appreciate the tips! Already can't wait to get back in the saddle. :)

Have a safe and productive trip USA! Thanks for serving and keeping the rest of us safe. Me and my family truly appreciate your efforts. Say hey to the other MC riders while over there too.

Happy new year!

-Joe

Yeah, Feejers are like that. I get back to CONUS first week in March, so it'll be "Tech inspect, see if she starts, climb in the 'stich, and head for a parking lot to practice" time. Next day, lie to the wife that it's not so cold out, I'll be right back, and run out the door!.

Ahhh - that's livin the life!

You in -A or AP?

Back several decades ago when I was in college and lived in an apartment, I had a HD Sportster that I traded a car for. It was the centerpiece of our living room with, of course, newspapers under it to catch the leaks. LOL

I recommend NOT starting it for a few minutes occasionally, just properly mothball it and let it wait for you to return from the sandbox. Take the battery out of it and put it on a battery tender. Put Stabil in the gas and run it a little before storing it. Wash and wax it before storage wouldn't hurt either.

Stay safe over there and come back healthy.

Just saw this thread. Mothballs are a very good idea but they are a fumigant and will evaporate in time. If you can have someone check/ replace the moth balls every few weeks or as needed. If it strong enough to bother you it should keep out the critters. May be easiest for them to just open the container they came in and monitor when they evaporate.

Cool bike cover, never seen one before.

+1 thanks for the service!

Last edited by a moderator:
First thank you for your service and take care while there. Also Prayers out for you and your family I know from experience that it is tough on them as well .

AS for critters getting into stuff I have always been told that mice and the like don't like steel wool, they say if you put steel wool in a hole that they won't go through it.

Make sure that you put fuel stabilizer in the gas and run or ride it enough to get it through the fuel system.

Draining the oil and refilling with new cheap oil I think is also a good idea This will get the moisture out of the engine, moisture in oil is very bad for the engine. Just change the oil again to what you normally use when you get home before you ride.

Also if it will be stored for an extended period I think a little light wt. engine oil in the cylinders is good just a little to coat the cylinder walls and rings, this might be overkill.

I'm back! After way too long playing in the sand, I'm home. Waited about 24 hours before pulling the batter tender and walking out to the carport to see how the bike held up over the last 7-ish months. Held my breath and folded it open. Looked like I hadn't been gone for more than a week! Barely any dust on it at all (and considering the amount of wind we get through there...). Pulled the steel wool out of the air box and exhaust cans and put the battery in. Again, held my breath, turned the key and hit the starter. Fired right up! Let it idle to full operating temperature before killing the engine and covering it back up.

Fast forward another week and a half (post-vacation) and I'm out there starting it up again and going for a ride. Haven't changed the oil yet, but figure I have about 500 miles until I hit 6k on the odometer and I'll just do it then to reset my mileage count. I've heard both sides of the coin (change it now and it's just fine as it was brand new oil when you left). I think it should be ok. Trying to get most of this tank of gas out (almost there) before filling up with fresh gas.

I went on a few rides before letting my son get on the back. Now that he's been on a ride, he wants to go every day. Here are a few shots from my first run back home. It's called Tantalus Loop. Way fun. :)

4845269499_4d376015f7_m.jpg

View from my bike:

4845888384_0422282132_m.jpg

The road is a few miles of these -- up one side and down the other. :)

4845269527_93a9a24989_m.jpg

Thanks again for all the well-wishes and advice!

That 's excellent!! Welcome home! :yahoo:

Great to have you back!...Enjoy your family and your FJR! :clapping:

Awesome!!! Welcome home!!

If you see an Army 1-Lt. running around on a silver M109R, that'll be my kid. He lives over on the west shore, Kapolei, where 93 hits the shore. Don't know where he works, actually. . . . He's told me, but not having been, I can't remember.

Glad to see you're back home safe. Nice that you live in such a scenic place and all, but I'm wondering if after you've covered ALL the roads a few times, you don't wish you lived somewhere a little . . . BIGGER. :D Anyway, thanks from Sacramento.

Welcome back! And Thank You!

Tantalus!

I is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous!

I lived in Hawaii (Wai'anae Coast) for over 20 years, my 2 boys still live there.

If you ever see a group of gals riding around on a Saturday, (mixed sport bikes and cruisers), if anyone's wearing a shirt that says "Dangerous Curves Hawaii" give them a big wave for me!

Take care and watch the idiot traffic~!

Oh, those BMW police bikes do not make any noise! :(

Mary aka Krashdragon

I miss my Hawaii friends

I miss the Hawaiian weather

I miss the local grinds! :dribble:

Thanks all! Living on base now (moved right before we left -- the elementary school is better for my kiddo) I don't get to ride as much. Went from riding 30+ miles a day to weekends only as I'm less than a mile from my office. Although I do get to ride all year-round, you're right -- there are only so many times you can go around the island. :)

One more year here then back to the mainland (and longer rides!). If the clouds hold off, I'll be out this afternoon!

Welcome back, Eric! Glad to hear that both you and the bike are unscratched and ready to rock 'n Roll again! B)

Thank you sincerely for your service!

Don