Going to the Sun Road may open Friday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks 7xray, this is very timely information for me. I'm on a trip from DC to Key West to Prudhoe Bay, AK. I'm currently in Denver and have been wondering about the status of the roads in Montana. I want to hit Beartooth Pass, Going to the Sun, and many other great high-altitude rides out there. If anyone is so inclined, I've got a thread going in the Rides section of the forum, and a more detailed blog here: https://andytoalaska.blogspot.com

I'm also going to NAFO and am interested in hooking up with other riders. I guess that gets coordinated over in the NAFO section.

Have fun everybody, but watch the weather closely. It's still winter up there at times.

Bozeman Chronicle

Cheers

Fred

7X
Thanks Fred.

I intend to travel up there after NAFO, into S. Alberta then home via the Crowsnest Pass.

I tried to do the Crowsnest late September, last year, but it was too cold for my old body. :)

Al.

I'll be watching closely as we are scheduled to ride through there on our way to NAFO next week... putting in a word or two with the weather gods to work with me on this one!! B)

You can never predict what can happen at those elevations. Two years ago, I encountered snow in Yellowstone and the Beartooth was closed due to snow and freezing rain the night before - this was during the first week in July. Hope the high elevation weather is good for anyone who is planning to take this spectacular route!

Ross

Thanks 7xray, this is very timely information for me. I'm on a trip from DC to Key West to Prudhoe Bay, AK. I'm currently in Denver and have been wondering about the status of the roads in Montana. I want to hit Beartooth Pass, Going to the Sun, and many other great high-altitude rides out there. If anyone is so inclined, I've got a thread going in the Rides section of the forum, and a more detailed blog here: https://andytoalaska.blogspot.com

I'm also going to NAFO and am interested in hooking up with other riders. I guess that gets coordinated over in the NAFO section.
Hi Andy,

Looks like the Beartooth Pass is open.

Beartooth info

The GTTSR is spectacular--amazing--no question. But be prepared for it to be closed temporarily even after it opens for the year. Go as far as you can up it even if it's closed at the top--from either direction. The views will still be well worth it. And it's not the only gorgeous spot in the park. If you can't cross the park by the GTTSR, go around the park to the south (still a very pretty ride and not much farther or longer than taking the GTTSR, especially with the permanent construction delays) and get to St.Mary. Continue north and re-enter the park a few miles north of that town and head to Many Glacier. To me, the prettiest view GNP offers, at least from a road.

If you're heading on up into Canada, you can cross by continuing north and pass through Waterton Lakes (Canadian) National Park.

The Many Glacier Lodge

IMG_0462.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The GTTSR is spectacular--amazing--no question.
Gunny!

For anyone who is gonna ride it and has not previously ridden it, just so ya know there is always road construction on the GTTSR. We hit it when we were there in July 2010. They tore up the pavement and the 'road' was gravel. Then a water truck came by to wet it down to keep the dust at bay. So it was wet, loose gravel. :huh:

Thanks Fred. You saved me the trouble of looking up link as we'll be there the 21st to hopefully ride the entire thing and then return to Kalispell via the southern route.