Good first bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theycallmemorris

Reaction score
I figured that would get yall's attention, but I wanted to do a little update since buying it for any others that may have concerns. After plenty of scrutinization before buying an FJR, I still knew it would be a good bike for my needs. I am 31 now, and only had a little experience riding dirtbikes when I was younger. I didn't want to be part of the Harley crowd, and was too realistic to own an all out sport bike. I have been riding since November now and have managed over 20,000 great miles. That may not seem like much for a lot of yall, but I'm a drilling engineer in the oilfield and that keeps me out of town more than I'd like. After only about 60 miles in town after my safety class, I packed up and and went on a camping trip around Texas(I have extended time off work too, but no one else does, so I travel). After returning to town from my next job, I rode out to Florida to see an old friend. We began dating after that and are now engaged, but NASA keeps her pretty busy, so 1,100 mile rides in a day each way to see her have become a regular for me. I love the versatility of the bike. If I'm with her or out with friends, I generally leave the bags off and it has a really sporty feel and look, but when I'm ready for a trip, I stick the bags on and can pack more than I could ever need. I have learned a lot from this site and could not even begin to remember all of the members posts that have helped me out along the way, so thank you to everyone.

Here are a few pictures from my rides. Hope it's not an overkill, but buying this FJR has led to a lot of new experiences for me.

First trip

enchanted.jpg

Surf fishing in the Atlantic near Kennedy Space Center.

fishing.jpg

10 miles of gravel road to my favorite park = less than enjoyable... Taking the truck next time!

P3050192.jpg

My motivation during the 1,100 miles east. And please, no ATGATT comments... I know, I know...

P5070385.jpg

Couldn't resist the chance for a picture while visiting my future wifey at work.

imagejpeg_2_8.jpg

Cool suspension bridge, but I didn't exactly appreciate the 8 miles each way of fresh deep gravel.

P3050195.jpg

The 'Wedding Oak'

P3050164.jpg

Thank you! Definitely worth the ride every time.

I've jealously read in to your lucky dog every since purchasing the bike. I've got a miniature weiner dog that has been my shadow for 13 years and I hate leaving him with family during all of my travels (80% of the year).

Good for you Morris! Looks like it has all worked out. Got yourself one fine cutey and the right bike for those extended rides to go visit her.

As for the gravel, that which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. A lesson I've been slow to learn over the years.

After reading the title I was all set to say, the FJR is not a good choice for a first bike; but you sure made it work (for you). Congrats on the bike, etc., etc.

So, um, still gonna be 1100 miles apart after the Big Day???? You know, just for a riding excuse????

Yellow wheels, yellow wheels.... Where have I seen something like those before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Glad things are working out and congrats on the future wifey! :)

You might as well document some of those 1100 mile day runs and get your Saddle Sore certification...just sayin'. ;)

Great write up. Glad the FJR worked out for you and it seems you have the perfect motivation to put on the miles. So what will your excuse be to pack on the miles after the big day?

Good things happen when you own a FJR. Congrats on everything!!

I was in a similar situation as you, I went about 15 years without riding until I bought my 2012. I'm not raking up the miles like you, I'm have a little over 5,000 mile on mine at this point, but loving every mile.

Is that a Russell Day Long seat? Since you are cranking out 1100 mile rides, safe to say you really like that seat??

Congrats on your new bike, your going to need to get a very large rear trunk for your future wifes bag. I suggest a Givi E55 :rolleyes:

P5070385.jpg

Ahh, Great story with pictures. Who could ask for more. Like someone else posted in general I wouldn't recommend an FJR to a newbee. In your case you became an experienced rider soon after purchase. Sweet looking future wife. Thanks for posting, Bill

After reading the title I was all set to say, the FJR is not a good choice for a first bike; but you sure made it work (for you). Congrats on the bike, etc., etc.
I don't think that's necessarily true if you're careful.

My first bike was a 1984 Honda V65 Magna when I was 34 years old in 1990.

Rode it til 1995 when I sold it, and only tipped it over once doing a U-Turn on a country road.

I had only ridden a Honda 350 once over 10 years before that, and a 125cc trail bike a few times before that.

My 2008 FJR is my second bike.

Bought it new in 2008 and have never regretted it.

I don't think that's necessarily true if you're careful.

My first bike was a 1984 Honda V65 Magna when I was 34 years old in 1990.

Rode it til 1995 when I sold it, and only tipped it over once doing a U-Turn on a country road.

I had only ridden a Honda 350 once over 10 years before that, and a 125cc trail bike a few times before that.

My 2008 FJR is my second bike.

Bought it new in 2008 and have never regretted it.
I stand by original statement, or, maybe I should have said "Generally". (you don't start out teaching someone to shoot with a .44 Magnum; okay, 'generally').

Nice report. I'm curious if you have done the G2 throttle cam modification. The 2006 had a well deserved reputation for throttle snatch, and that would be the only thing that might be tricky for a new rider, especially controlling it in gravel.

I've been to some of your ride destinations, not on the FJR, but on other bikes.

A "Hill Country" return trip this Fall or next Spring is likely.

I too am curious about the yellow wheels...