Got an invite to join a new riding group.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barabus

Reaction score
I have been interviewing to join this group for 5 weeks now! Well, I got the invite to join today. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: As some of you might have guessed- this group rides bikes without motors. Treks instead of Yamahas! HaHa. These guys (and a few women) are serious athletes and many are ex-competitive cyclist. It is nothing for these guys to ride 7000 miles in a year! I am in over my head definitely. Talk about carbon fiber everything! The top rider has a $9000 Cervelo and notice below it doesn't even come with pedals. That frame weighs less than 1.6 lbs. Link to OC Velos They interview riders for safety skills and riding ability (and general fit). Noboby wants a new rider to take out a paceline with $75,000 worth of bikes. Maybe this is something you FJR ride groups should consider!

cervelo-soloist-carbon.jpg

I have been interviewing to join this group for 5 weeks now! Well, I got the invite to join today. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: As some of you might have guessed- this group rides bikes without motors. Treks instead of Yamahas! HaHa. These guys (and a few women) are serious athletes and many are ex-competitive cyclist. It is nothing for these guys to ride 7000 miles in a year! I am in over my head definitely. Talk about carbon fiber everything! The top rider has a $9000 Cervelo and notice below it doesn't even come with pedals. That frame weighs less than 1.6 lbs. Link to OC Velos They interview riders for safety skills and riding ability (and general fit). Noboby wants a new rider to take out a paceline with $75,000 worth of bikes. Maybe this is something you FJR ride groups should consider!

cervelo-soloist-carbon.jpg

How many miles a year have you been doing on a Bicycle lately? You don't need to spend 9k to get a great bike...unless you've got more money than you need.

But have fun with that

My mileage started in July and I have a little over 2000 miles. I do not owe a Cervelo. Instead I have a 1997 Cannondale T2000 aluminum frame and a new Trek that Santa C. brought for me.

IMG_1139.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was but a lad, I was a cyclist, not for athletics or competition or the crowd, but because that's how I got around. I didn't see the sense in spending thousands of dollars of perfectly good food money on a car!

I rode 60 to 100 miles a day just getting to work, doing the groceries, whatever. A recreational ride could be 200 miles. My biggest single day was 275 miles, an it nearly killed me, because it was in hilly country and I'm a flatlander if ever there was one.

An exercise ride would be to the far end of the beach here, a swim, then ride home.

My best bike ever was less than $300 in 1979, steel frame but lightweight components. Still have it! Even ride it once or twice a year! Killed me to buy tires for it to replace the dry-rot that had been on for 20 years! Stuff has gone up since I was a real rider!

When I got a job that required me to be presentable when I arrived, I had to buy a car, and that's when the weight started piling on.

I used to be a competitive cyclist back in the day. I did triathlons and trained intensely every day. Eventually the bike got the best of me and I had to quit riding competitively due to (ahem) male medical issues. :blink:

Still get out on the bike, however. Only now I'm riding a Vision recumbent. Keeps pressure off a certain tender area. ;)

Congratulations Barry. :yahoo: I know how much this means to you. After all the hard work you've put into your fitness regime, this is a worthy reward. Hope you enjoy lots of safe, fun and energetic rides with the group. Don't forget your FJR though, it might get lonely while you're pedaling the new bike.

Jill

Wait a minute... You had to interview to join?! For five weeks?!

Paging Slapnpop, Mr. Slappy Slapnpop. Please pick up the nearest white courtesy phone. STAT!

:lol:

Congratulations Barry. :yahoo: I know how much this means to you. After all the hard work you've put into your fitness regime, this is a worthy reward. Hope you enjoy lots of safe, fun and energetic rides with the group. Don't forget your FJR though, it might get lonely while you're pedaling the new bike.
Jill

Thanks Jill. Happy New Year.

Wait a minute... You had to interview to join?! For five weeks?!
Paging Slapnpop, Mr. Slappy Slapnpop. Please pick up the nearest white courtesy phone. STAT!

:lol:
Yeah Tim, I was apprehensive about this point too and would not have gone thru with it if OC Velos were anything less than a great group of guys. Just so you know, our club makes way for cars and we do not take the whole lane. Share the road applies to all users!

Yeah Tim, I was apprehensive about this point too and would not have gone thru with it if OC Velos were anything less than a great group of guys. Just so you know, our club makes way for cars and we do not take the whole lane. Share the road applies to all users!
Well, that's certainly refreshing to read! :good: Have a boatload of fun, Barry!

Barabus you are a big guy like me are you up for it? This is a pretty big deal. I am asking because I have also been thinking about doing this but am not sure if I am in good enough shape but hell maybe that is exactly what I need. Just wondering what made you take the leap?

Barabus you are a big guy like me are you up for it? This is a pretty big deal. I am asking because I have also been thinking about doing this but am not sure if I am in good enough shape but hell maybe that is exactly what I need. Just wondering what made you take the leap?

Lost 60lbs and have been riding 100 miles per week since July. Turned over a new leaf prior to Jan 1. BTW, I saw you riding with your M109 friend a couple days ago, maybe Sunday in NB? I was on my Cannondale so don't feel badly if you did not see me. Also, have a great 2007 Trek FX 7.3 hybrid for sale if you want to get started right. Link

My advise is to start out slow and don't burn out. Also, don't invest too much money in biking until you are sure that you will stick with it for more than a couple months. Good luck.

Barry, Congrats on that level of commitment, now that you have that new machine and a good group of guys to ride with there will be no going back!

Does that mean you get to wear those sexy Bunn Hugger short with a banna in front? :yahoo:

I bike also many years ago it is good fun but if you are a largeperson the hills are going to kill you

and than the knees go. So do not sell the FJR just yet and good luck on your exercise campaign

Let us know what your BMI is in 6 months as to when you started

Latest posts