• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gps At Cost To Forum Members From Auto Nav 2000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking at a Garmin 2820. Tjis unit has the MP# player and XM radio. My question is do you have to have a amplifier am fm radio or can I buy the 2820, a xm subcription and the ant. and connect it to the autocom? I have been looking and am confused. thanks for your help.Scott 06 FJR
An amplifier Am/Fm radio would not be required. You could buy a StreetPilot 2820 and a GXM-30 XM smart antenna and subscribe to XM Satellite Radio service with or without Traffic/Weather and connect your autocom to the audio out jack to hear your XM broadcast.

I have been looking at a Garmin 2820. Tjis unit has the MP# player and XM radio. My question is do you have to have a amplifier am fm radio or can I buy the 2820, a xm subcription and the ant. and connect it to the autocom? I have been looking and am confused. thanks for your help.Scott 06 FJR
I have the 2820. It has an mic in and line out on the side. For the couple $100 the xm would cost you just get a small $5 am/fm from walmart and velcro to the side and do the mic in for a feed.

It holds approx 160 songs in the MP3 (length of song will vary the #) which is approx 9 hours of music. I have not yet found a need for more.

I am playing the music through my Bluetooth in the helmet to eliminate the wires, but stereo sound is lacking. It works better with in ear phones pluged into the side, but that hampers the bluetooth of the phone/com. I am still fidling with my setup and have upgraded the speakers in my helmet. My last ride I could not hear above 55 from the bluetooth.

The line out is quite loud (in ear phones) and volume adjustable from the unit. I do not think you would have need for an amp.

Pm me if I can answer anything else on the 2820.

For those of you that is looking for an affordable motorcycle GPS with BT, I have obtain some additional TomTom Rider along with one of our government fleet sale at a great price, and if you wish to purchase one at a very very reasonable price, contact my operation manager Rick Nee at 650-328-8832 between Tuesday thru Saturday and he can fill you in on this new deal.

James,

I'm looking for a GPS unit that is compatible with XM Weather - NexRad overlay on my screen . . plus the best motorcycle adaptable and street-savy unit I can find. Someone suggested the GPSMAP 478, even though that is technically a marine unit. Is that a GREAT unit for a motorcycle, or is there something better that also can give me nexrad? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide...

Steve

I'm also wondering if weather radar is even practical on the small screens that are on these units. Are you able to see clearly enough and with enough resolution to make it worthwhile?

steve

James,I'm looking for a GPS unit that is compatible with XM Weather - NexRad overlay on my screen . . plus the best motorcycle adaptable and street-savy unit I can find. Someone suggested the GPSMAP 478, even though that is technically a marine unit. Is that a GREAT unit for a motorcycle, or is there something better that also can give me nexrad? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide...

Steve
You need the Garmin 378. Get it here; www.cyclegadgets.com

Weather radar is very readable and looks like this;

XMWeather.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
James,I'm looking for a GPS unit that is compatible with XM Weather - NexRad overlay on my screen . . plus the best motorcycle adaptable and street-savy unit I can find. Someone suggested the GPSMAP 478, even though that is technically a marine unit. Is that a GREAT unit for a motorcycle, or is there something better that also can give me nexrad? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide...

Steve
You need the Garmin 378. Get it here; www.cyclegadgets.com

Weather radar is very readable and looks like this;

XMWeather.gif
Steve

Give Cyclegadgets.com a try and get a price from them, we have these units in stock and can offer at cost to FJR members. Give Rick a call to check prices to make sure you are getting a fair deal from cyclegadgets.com. 408-298-8188 and he can quote you a price.

Good Luck

04FJR4ME

That weather radar screen is waaaaay cool, but how much does the service cost?

And most definitely check with Rick at Autonav. James has been hooking up FJR brothers for quite a while now. He does us an enormous service.

Thanks James!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did an order with Rick at Auto Nav 2000.

He is very well versed on GPS navigation and, I believe, saved me from making a big mistake in spending a lot more for a unit and getting something filled with bells and whistles that I'd never use. THANKS RICK - you too James... :unsure:

Great people to deal with and very fast and efficient - couldn't ask for a better customer experience.

Just did an order with Rick at Auto Nav 2000.He is very well versed on GPS navigation and, I believe, saved me from making a big mistake in spending a lot more for a unit and getting something filled with bells and whistles that I'd never use. THANKS RICK - you too James... :unsure:

Great people to deal with and very fast and efficient - couldn't ask for a better customer experience.
So what did you end up buying?

Just did an order with Rick at Auto Nav 2000.He is very well versed on GPS navigation and, I believe, saved me from making a big mistake in spending a lot more for a unit and getting something filled with bells and whistles that I'd never use. THANKS RICK - you too James... :unsure:

Glade we can help and you are very welcome! Anytime and have a great ride.

Hi James

Will you be getting the new City Navigator NT 2008 map update for the Garmin units? And if yes how much will you sell them for? Are there any discounts for FJR owners on that?

I bought a Zumo from you guys last year under the special $50 membership program. What a great unit btw.

Let me know.

Thanks

Hi James
Will you be getting the new City Navigator NT 2008 map update for the Garmin units? And if yes how much will you sell them for? Are there any discounts for FJR owners on that?

I bought a Zumo from you guys last year under the special $50 membership program. What a great unit btw.

Let me know.

Thanks
Yes, we have the NT 2008 map update for the Garmin units.

Please give Rick a call 650-328-8832 , I am sure he will get you our cost on it. It's not that expensive and if you pick it up at the store, there is no shipping cost.

thanks

04FJR4ME