• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gps At Cost To Forum Members From Auto Nav 2000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2200 looks like it would fill my GPS needs, but some reviews are talking about it being slow to update routes, and somewhat sluggish performance in general. Care to comment?

The 2200 looks like it would fill my GPS needs, but some reviews are talking about it being slow to update routes, and somewhat sluggish performance in general. Care to comment?
Radman,

Can you send me links to these Magellan Roadmate 2200's that not it is re-routing to slow? This product have yet to be released and we have been testing the beta units and it simply is not true!

But again, who knows right, but if you are near my store one of these days, stop on by and I will show you how slow it is! It is faster then all the other Magellan unit I have tested so I guess I must have a speical one.

I am currently testing a PVT unit latest beta version 1.16 firmware, what version firmware were they testing?

Anyhow, what do I know, here is a link to what I have tested before and at that time, I was also testing the MRM 2200 unit which is not shown on the picture.

My Webpage

Let me know if I can help

Thanks

James

04FJR4ME

From CNet-

The bad: The Magellan RoadMate 2200T performs a little sluggishly in creating directions and recalculating routes.
From ZDNet

We tested the Magellan RoadMate 2200T in San Francisco, and from a cold start, the unit took about two minutes to get a 3D fix (four satellites). It accurately tracked our position as we drove around the city, and it gave us accurate directions to our destinations. However, we noticed that the system was slow to create directions and recalculate routes. This wasn't as big an issue when we were initially planning our trips, since we had time to spare. However, when you're actually on the road and need guidance the most, this is an important feature to consider. As such, we purposefully missed a few turns, and we noticed it took up to 30 to 45 seconds, which can be a long time if you're driving, for the RoadMate to come up with new directions. Though it eventually got us back on track, this can be disconcerting to a driver, especially when in unfamiliar territory. There was also a noticeable lag when launching the multimedia functions.

James, I also notice the power-in attachment is under a cover. Did you find this a problem (if you used it) as far as water intrusion? Is it a straight or 90 degree plug?

Last edited by a moderator:
Radman

To start out with, the MRM 2200T pre-product unit should have never been tested the way ZDnet tested it.

I have no idea what version firmware they are using and who they are talking to.

I hate it when these so call reviewers do not take into consider that the unit they received is a PVT unit and not a finalized product.

I will retest the reroute issue in San Francisco, and they should understand the difference between a cold boot and a warm boot when it comes to acquiring GPS in the City, along with this if they are routing to a destination when GPS is not available and they are driving the car, they will be over taxing the GPS unit and slow everything down. This is much like having 10 windows open on your PC and expecting it to perform properly.

These GPS unit are design to be cheap and good, so to make sure the unit function as it should, Don't put in a route until GPS signal is available, don't put in a route and start driving before the GPS is acquire or it will just take that much longer to lock on.

The power plug is not a big issue, this unit is only IPX 4 and not IPX 7 meaning it will take a heavy rain shower and survive with no problem but it will not be able to be use for scuba diving if you know what I mean. The Garmin Zumo will be IPX 7 which you can submerge in 3 feet of water for 30 minutes. But at $999 compare to $499, you can buy two and have an extra one just in case you damage the first one when you ride your bike into a lake.

IPX 4 = Protected against splashing water - Same as IPX-3 but water is sprayed at all angles.

These guys and ZDnet states that the POI is supposed to be 2 Million, not sure if they are correct since the base POI is supposed to be 1.5 Million only and you can add premium POI's on top of this number which they fail to mention.

I can't say enough, don't read to much into these reviewers, if they are not a beta tester that has been doing it for at least 5-6 years, they are probably offering their input about as accurate as any first time user.

Enough said and thanks for asking

04FJR4ME

James

And speaking of the 2200T -- is it safe to assume you've tested that touchscreen with various types of gloves?

(and geezer -- we know you meant Magellan's web site, not Garmin's ;) )

What would be a good mount for the 2200T-has anyone mounted one on an FJR using one of the threaded mirror holes on the handlebar with a mount?

Also curious about the "hard drive" use on a bike as some mention they had issues.

Geezer

"I was just looking at Garmin's Website for details on the RM 2200T. The spec's say that it has a hard drive. I that going to be a problem for motorcycle use?"

ME THINK YOU HAVE GARMIN on your mind! You mean Magellan website which brings up another good point!

Who are you going to believe, some web programer at Magellan or the guy that has been testing these units? I probably know more about this Magellan product then most of their sales and marketing team.

NO, IT DOES NOT HAVE A HARD DRIVE. and it is safe to use on a motorcycle.

=====================================================================

squeezer

"And speaking of the 2200T -- is it safe to assume you've tested that touchscreen with various types of gloves?"

Boy, How big are your hands? You are not asking for to much are you? NO, I have only tested with the glove that I am going to start selling and it works GREAT! :D

xcsp

"What would be a good mount for the 2200T-has anyone mounted one on an FJR using one of the threaded mirror holes on the handlebar with a mount?

Also curious about the "hard drive" use on a bike as some mention they had issues."

Any mount that will accommodate a 4 bolt AMP pattern will work, so I am sure RAM have enough options, if not, try Velcro since it weights almost nothing! and NO, NO HARD DRIVE in the MRM 2000T and 2200T. :yahoo:

We have Geezer and squeezer, all we are missing is Tweezer! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL - Yes, I meant Magellan's web site, and I do have Garmin on my mind since I would probably go for a 2730 or 276C if the 2200T had a hard drive. I may still go with the Garmin. Too many products to pick from. Maybe that's a good thing because I can keep procrastinating instead of spending... :D :D

LOL - Yes, I meant Magellan's web site, and I do have Garmin on my mind since I would probably go for a 2730 or 276C if the 2200T had a hard drive. I may still go with the Garmin. Too many products to pick from. Maybe that's a good thing because I can keep procrastinating instead of spending... :D :D
We're in the same boat Geezer, believe me.....

I'll probably end up making a call, but I'm now in the market...

My needs -

1. Card based, not hard drive
  2. Huge mp3 storage
  3. XM radio
  4. Gloved hand use
  5. Water proof at least resistant
  6. Audio out -
  7. Capable of interfacing with StarCom Advance
  8. Vibration proof - I hammer down 7 miles of washboard dirt road daily..
  9. Bright big screen for old eyes to see with.. Even with corrective lenses in.
Is the 2730 Garmin still the best buy? Have the prices come down to reasonable?
[/FONT]

Thanks James, dcarver

My needs -

2. Huge mp3 storage
  3. XM radio
  4. Gloved hand use
  6. Audio out -
[/FONT]

Thanks James, dcarver

Card based, not hard drive = Zumo 550, 27xx, 28xx

Huge mp3 storage = All pretty much the same, about 700 MB

XM radio = Zumo 550, 2730, 2820

Gloved hand use = ONLY ZUMO 550

Water proof at least resistant = All pretty much the same

Audio out - Zumo 550, 27xx, 28xx

Capable of interfacing with StarCom Advance = You are on your own, I don't have a StarCom

Vibration proof - I hammer down 7 miles of washboard dirt road daily.. = Garmin is about the best

Bright big screen for old eyes to see with.. Even with corrective lenses in. = Zumo BIG font

Is the 2730 Garmin still the best buy? Have the prices come down to reasonable?= 2730 is great value, shop around near your local GPS store and ask these same questions. Buy from a GPS retail store near you. Support your local stores!
:D :)

Good Luck

James

04FJR4ME

My needs -

2. Huge mp3 storage
  3. XM radio
  4. Gloved hand use
  6. Audio out -
[/FONT]

Thanks James, dcarver

Card based, not hard drive = Zumo 550, 27xx, 28xx

Huge mp3 storage = All pretty much the same, about 700 MB

XM radio = Zumo 550, 2730, 2820

Gloved hand use = ONLY ZUMO 550

Water proof at least resistant = All pretty much the same

Audio out - Zumo 550, 27xx, 28xx

Capable of interfacing with StarCom Advance = You are on your own, I don't have a StarCom

Vibration proof - I hammer down 7 miles of washboard dirt road daily.. = Garmin is about the best

Bright big screen for old eyes to see with.. Even with corrective lenses in. = Zumo BIG font

Is the 2730 Garmin still the best buy? Have the prices come down to reasonable?= 2730 is great value, shop around near your local GPS store and ask these same questions. Buy from a GPS retail store near you. Support your local stores!
:D :)

Good Luck

James

04FJR4ME

James - Gracias. Read your other posts about limited quantities and being spoken for.

I finally have my finances so I can get the GPS. and Garmin has thrown another one at me to choose from.

I had settled on the 2820 over the Zumo 550 as price was pretty much the same with your offer.

now I see a Nuvi 660 is out and looks to be the same as the 2820 from what I can tell with a larger screen.

Can you elaborate on the diff in the two and PM me your current forum mem price for each?

The big dif I see is a built in FM transmitter in the Nuvi.

Thanks for your time James

I bought a 2730 a while back from these fellas and I think they are TOPS!!!!!!!

Outstanding knowledge, service and the price speaks for itself. Go no further to buy a GPS.

I finally have my finances so I can get the GPS. and Garmin has thrown another one at me to choose from.I had settled on the 2820 over the Zumo 550 as price was pretty much the same with your offer.

now I see a Nuvi 660 is out and looks to be the same as the 2820 from what I can tell with a larger screen.

Can you elaborate on the diff in the two and PM me your current forum mem price for each?

The big dif I see is a built in FM transmitter in the Nuvi.

Thanks for your time James
Hello

Please log on to Garmin website and do a comparison between the two units.

You can also contact Mr. Rick Nee at 1-650-328-8832 to assist you with your inquiries.

https://www.garmin.com/automotive/compare.jsp

Product Comparison

StreetPilot 2820 zumo 550

Receiver 12 channel High sensitivity GPS receiver by SiRF

Batteries N/A Rechargeable lithium-ion

Bluetooth Yes Yes

Number of Waypoints 2000 500

# of Routes / # of waypoints per route 50/254 50/200

Database, Basemap, or Built-in Maps Americas Autoroute or

Atlantic Autoroute Americas Lite Routable or

Atlantic Lite Routable

Additional map options Pre-programmed media that stores City Navigator detailed maps of North America. Preprogrammed internal memory that stores City Navigator NT detailed maps

Battery Life N/A Up to 4 hours depending on use

Display Size 1.7 x 3.3 2.8" W x 2.1" H

Display Type WQVGA Color TFT Touch Screen 64,000 color bright QVGA transflective anti-glare TFT with touch screen

Display Resolution 240 x 454 320 x 240

Standard GPS Antenna Built-in Patch Built-In Patch

TracBack Mode No N/A

# of Tracklog Points 2000 N/A

Unit Weight .93 lbs. 10.6 ounces

Audible Alarms Yes (with voice prompts) Yes (with voice prompts)

Garmin Lock N/A Yes

Waterproof Standard IPX7 IPX7

Unit Dimensions 5.6" W x 3.2" H x 2.0" D 4.4" W x 3.9" H x 2.87" D

Screen Orientation Horizontal Horizontal

Audio Book Player Yes Yes

MP3 Player Yes Yes

Travel Assistant N/A Yes

Configurable Car Icons N/A Yes

Map Storage Solid-state, Pre-programmed media Solid-state, pre-programmed media

Backlit Display Automatic Dimming Multi-level

Remote Control Yes N/A

Internal Angular Rate Sensor No N/A

Speed Sensor Input No N/A

Reverse Light Input No N/A

Ext. Ant. Hookup Yes (MCX) Yes (MCX)

XM NavTraffic Compatible Yes Yes

Integrated FM Wireless Transmitter No N/A

WAAS/EGNOS capability Yes Yes

3.5mm Headphone/Line-Out Audio Plug Yes N/A

Voice Commands Yes Yes

Turn by turn routing Yes Yes

XM WX Satellite Weather Compatibility Yes, Basic Weather information including forecasts and current conditions. No NEXRAD radar. N/A

XM Satellite Radio Capability Yes Yes

Unit Speaks Street and POI Names Yes Yes

FM TMC Traffic Compatible Yes, using a compatible traffic receiver Yes, using a compatible traffic receiver

Custom POI's Yes, imported from CSV file. Yes, imported from CSV files.

3D Perspective Map View Yes Yes

Proximity Alert / Safety Camera Support Yes, requires Custom POI data. Yes, requires Custom POI data.

Voltage Range 12 volts 12-24

Speed Alarm Yes, requires Custom POI data N/A

MSRP $1076.91 $1076.91

Just wanted to thank you for the great service, and the info...

Per you suggestio, I bought a 2730..... very happy with it.

Ok, So I'm a few months late with the thanks.... :rolleyes:

But.... when I was trying to find my hotel in the dark in Amarillo at 10:30 at night in the middle of a cold driving rainstorm..the GPS wa a godsend! I did make a wrong turn, but it was totally my fault...<G>

Now all I have to do if break out the cd and read the how-to's to figure out how to input and save all the cool data.

I have mounts on all my bikes for it, and also use it in my Jeep.

Thank you again for the great service and the suggestions.

Mary

I have been looking at a Garmin 2820. Tjis unit has the MP# player and XM radio. My question is do you have to have a amplifier am fm radio or can I buy the 2820, a xm subcription and the ant. and connect it to the autocom? I have been looking and am confused. thanks for your help.

Scott 06 FJR