GPS electrical help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serhan

Reaction score
I finally got to install my GPS (zumo 550), replacing the stem nut cover, with one that has a ram ball. Now my problem is to hook the GPS to power. I can't seem to find a fused auxiliary plug on the bike to use for the GPS wiring. I am having hard time believing that FJR would not have one, my '07 M50 had one in the headlight housing, which made everything much easier, it is hard to believe such a superior bike would not have one.

Adding a new full-on power harness seems like a huge work. My other option is to connect directly to battery, which I am hesitant being scared of draining it.

Thanks again,

Serhan.

Why fuse it? Just run power directly to the battery. You just need to remember to turn off the Garmin when you shut her down for the night. Most of the folks on here have theirs set up that way.

should be a spare powered plug used for heated hand grips,,,,( If you dont have the heated grips using it already). I think its by upper left radiator area. Someone else might be more exact about the location of it.

The heated handgrip plug is tucked behind the wheel well shielding and it has a specialized plug. It would be a pain to get the plug and then you wouldn't be able to install -- ta da! - - OEM heated handgrips. Why don't you do this: https://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php It's a mindless install and then all your power needs for the future are taken care of. I put mine under the back seat. There is a perfect place where it tucks right in.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OEM heated grip connector can be easily tapped by using a small spade connector. You simply push the female spade onto one of the flat pins. Use some additional heat shrink tubing to make the spade large enough so it doesn't wiggle around needlessly. You will have to locate a ground source for the negative side. I used a good quality (gold plated) and extra small width spade connector obtained from a car audio shop.

Using something like a Posi-Tap connector, you can tap into the accessory box cig plug circuit. It works nicely for a GPS and is activated/deactivated through relay control from the ignition switch. I prefer this circuit for the GPS rather than the OEM heated grip circuit which is only activated once the engine starts.

IMO, there's a lot to be said for having the ignition switch turn everything off at once. Until you reach heavy loads like heated gear, it's not absolutely necessary to go the full route of an auxillary relay controlled circuit system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with HaulinAshe 100%.

I got a inexpensive GPS last month - a remanufactured Magellan 2200T cost me $84 delivered and $33 for a Ram mount. It runs for 8 hours on it's internal battery and can also be set to turn off automatically after so many minutes so my plan is to use the accesory plug to add juice only when needed.

If you added a cigarette plug to the Garmin power cord, could you not use the socket in the "glove box"?
Definitely YES, but I actually use that space for storage of several essential, yet seldom-used items. The plug itself would take up too much room for my application. That's why I chose to tap into the wires feeding the lighter socket.

I finally got to install my GPS (zumo 550), replacing the stem nut cover, with one that has a ram ball. Now my problem is to hook the GPS to power. I can't seem to find a fused auxiliary plug on the bike to use for the GPS wiring. I am having hard time believing that FJR would not have one, my '07 M50 had one in the headlight housing, which made everything much easier, it is hard to believe such a superior bike would not have one.
Adding a new full-on power harness seems like a huge work. My other option is to connect directly to battery, which I am hesitant being scared of draining it.

Thanks again,

Serhan.
Serhan - I've had three Garmin GPS's (V, Quest 2, Zumo 550) connected directly to my battery since late 2002 with no problems. I simply made a connection to the battery terminals with an SAE connector and fuse. I removed all but a few inches of the connector on the bike mount, and soldered an SAE connector to it. When I get back from a ride, I disconnect the GPS, and plug in a battery charger. Works like a charm.

I have added a cigarette lighter plug to my 08' which is fused. The plug is a boat (Marine) style plug with cover.

The hardest part was making room for it under the right panel. I had to relocated one electrical item under the panel to make room for the socket. This plug location is now more convenient and will handle more current if needed (such as a tire pump). I use this plug for my V1 detector or my GPS most of the time. Works great!

IMG_0035.jpg

I just use the cig. socket in the glove box. There is a rubber grommet on the bottom of the box which you can run your cable thru so you do not have to cut a hole. You would need to remove the grommet , cut it then place it around the cable and then re install in the hole at the bottom of the glove box.

Mac

Thanks again,

Serhan.
Serhan - I've had three Garmin GPS's (V, Quest 2, Zumo 550) connected directly to my battery since late 2002 with no problems. I simply made a connection to the battery terminals with an SAE connector and fuse. I removed all but a few inches of the connector on the bike mount, and soldered an SAE connector to it. When I get back from a ride, I disconnect the GPS, and plug in a battery charger. Works like a charm.
Here's a picture -- Thanks to Rummy for letting me know how to insert the pic!

GarminZumoII.jpg

Thanks guys. Great ideas, I couldn't find this post earlier today, so I posted another one in another thread, sorry for the redundant posts.

Absolutely great ideas. I guess I know what I will be working on this weekend...

Thanks again,

Serhan.

At first I wired my GPS through a switched power source. I found that it was annoying for it to turn off every time I stopped for fuel That's probably not a problem for you if the Zumo has batteries. One time I had the key on so I could play with my GPS and it drained the battery through the parking lights. So, I rewired mine directly to the battery. You can leave it on for at least one day without draining the battery.

No matter what you decide, you still need to have a fuse in the circuit.

Why don't you do this: https://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php It's a mindless install and then all your power needs for the future are taken care of.
Gunny on the Fuzeblock. I mounted mine under the left side cover behind the glove box (directly under where the heated grip controller would go). I picked up the input for switched power from the glove box solenoid. You can choose whether to use switched or always-on power on each output depending on where you put the fuse. I have my Zumo 550 on switched power. I also ran a 10 amp cigarette socket under the seat in case I need to run my air compressor.

I added a fused powerlet outlet on the left. I put a powerlet plug on my garmin. It is powered all the time the unit is on the bike.

I also use that same powerlet outlet to plug in my battery minder. It is wired directly to the battery and fused.

It has worked well.