Gps Mount Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajay423

Reaction score
I just purchased a Garmin Montana GPS for my '09 AE (no clutch reservoir to attach a plate). I have installed MV Motorrad riser/adjuster plate, too (very happy with this).

My question is what is the best way to attach the gps plate to the bike. The handlebars are not round tubular - so I am not sure about the U-clamp RAM mounts.

Garmin makes a pretty rugged cradle for the Montana - so it really doesn't matter which gps it is - it's how to attach the cradle to the bike.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Great mount,but is not possible to install it when someone has installed an MV riser adapter plate..

1295269750-16387.jpg

a
b01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Two good solutions:

1296459565-10255.jpg

pic00882-4.jpg

pic00882-1.jpg

Or a larger screw in this hole:

1295269750-16387-1.jpg

With a like this ball adapter:

RAM_mount_ball_f_4f54f7e3a91c8_90x90.jpg

or this:

RAM_87_X_225_W_49e04bd650746_90x90.jpg

I hope it can help you...

Have been using GadgetGuy stuff on my last four bikes, excellent design and they are great looking. Using the TouraTech locking mount for my Montana 650t. Again, Touratech makes excellent stuff and I've also used this product in the past on other GPS units.

You could get one of these and install it on the brake reservoir instead of clutch. Ram Mounts make it.

0222.jpg

Hello,

Try the two bolts at the forward end of the tank. They are the same hole spacing as the diamond shaped plate on a 1" diameter ball RAM mount.

You can use some long 6mm socket head machine screws and a couple of stainless tubes to get the mount above the mounting surface of the handle bars.

I have the use of a lathe so I took some 3" pieces of 3/8" SS round stock and put a 6mm female thread in each end.

Cheap and it works.

Phil

I am now thinking of a shelf. Better visibility with tank bag. Any thoughts / recommendations for my gen2?

I've got the MV riser plate too. There is a hole under the MV sticker. I felt it was a little too far forward for me though. I have big hands and wanted as much room around the ignition switch as possible. It's also recessed a bit and will catch water. So I drilled and tapped a new hole for a RAM ball as far aft as possible: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/146408-my-impressions-of-the-mv-motorrad-bar-riser/page-7?do=findComment&comment=1020801
+1!!