GPS Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry this is the best picture I have at the moment:

gps_mount.jpg

I screwed the gps's original quick release mount to my homemade mount, so i could take it off easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
As touched on in post #13.
th_NLineshelf003.jpg

Goes without saying, "not for everyone" but works well. Also allows room for additional stuff.

Also looks better "in person" than in pics.

Probably not good if you're trying to keep the "sport look" and ride without your bags all the time.

Good luck.

++ for using the shelf.

Puts the GPS in a much easier location to view manipulate. No having to tilt your head down.

I have my 2730, the XM radio puck, Valentine 1 and tire pressure monitor on mine.

Happy Holidays!

Kirk

I used the tech mount to the empty mirror hole on the clutch bracket. it gets it up high where you need to see it with out taking your eyes off the road. It doesn't hit the windshield up or down and it doesn't block the intruments.

I have been looking at the ram mounts for my GPS I have a small nuvi 200. Is the clutch resivor bracket the best spot or should I mount it in the center of the bars? Thanks for any help in advance!
I have a Zumo 550 with the enclosed mount and really like it mounted with a double ball mount on the front of the clutch clamp. I only have to barely nod my head (Fulmer Modus flip up helmet) with the 1.5 inch long tube mount for the 2 balls. I liked the longer 3 inch and 5 inch tubes which put the Zumo screen up into my central vision, but I now have a J&M CB mounted using the left mirror hole which is set right "behind" the GPS and it's lcd screen is just above the Zumo. If the Zumo is any higher, I can't see or get to the controls of the CB.

The other ball on the clutch mount is to my RAM cup holder which is centered between the bars.

Best if using a magnetic tank bag and a swinging cup holder above the tank to apply some clear tank protection to save the paint. Don't ask how I know this fact from my personal experience.

Just my 1.5 cents and hope this helps,

Mike in Nawlins'

It fits the clutch side. The brake side mirror hole has left-hand threads, at least mine does, and it's not even there on Gen-II's I don't think. That's what I have on the clutch side, no need for the clamp mount.

RAM-mountmirrorhole.jpg

They also have the RAM-B-345U or RAM-B-346U reservoir covers with a RAM ball on it, fits either resrvoir. The compatibility list shows the FJR for both pieces.

I have been looking at the ram mounts for my GPS I have a small nuvi 200. Is the clutch resivor bracket the best spot or should I mount it in the center of the bars? Thanks for any help in advance!
I have a Zumo 550 with the enclosed mount and really like it mounted with a double ball mount on the front of the clutch clamp. I only have to barely nod my head (Fulmer Modus flip up helmet) with the 1.5 inch long tube mount for the 2 balls. I liked the longer 3 inch and 5 inch tubes which put the Zumo screen up into my central vision, but I now have a J&M CB mounted using the left mirror hole which is set right "behind" the GPS and it's lcd screen is just above the Zumo. If the Zumo is any higher, I can't see or get to the controls of the CB.

The other ball on the clutch mount is to my RAM cup holder which is centered between the bars.

Best if using a magnetic tank bag and a swinging cup holder above the tank to apply some clear tank protection to save the paint. Don't ask how I know this fact from my personal experience.

Just my 1.5 cents and hope this helps,

Mike in Nawlins'
I now have various pics here:

pics of my bike: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mholiver/

I just checked out your pic's. That's one farkled out FeeeeeJ. NICE RIDE.

One dog is enough for me thow.

I just checked out your pic's. That's one farkled out FeeeeeJ. NICE RIDE.
One dog is enough for me thow.
thanx much, I really love riding that bike and for the first time ever, I look forward to going long distances

consider coming to my New Orleans Ride to Eat Gathering March 6-9, '09 - info at my CLICKY in my sig

I need to mount my Stebel Nautilus compact air horn in front of the radiator and I'm coveting a real cruise control

really want the $500 Austrailian motorcycle-cruise-control, but might go for the $100 Audiovox.

dogs - my daughter wants to be a Rescue manger/owner or work at a shelter/vet office

3 of the dogs are Rescue dogs found roaming somewhere after a hurricane and unclaimed

Jenni is Cajun found in Lafayette, LA

Walker was found roaming the streets in Walker, LA - I accuse him of being a gigalo (sic) after Katrina to make ends meet

I inclued my two daughters 13 & 15 in the list of pets

pray for me dealing with my 2 women teenagers - they no longer like me and say I know nothing - the fall and landing off the pedestal was quite traumatic and abrupt as I was God to them for quite a number of years until hormones

Merry Christmas,

Mike in Nawlins'

I am joining the ranks of the GPS enabled for my annual romps through the western US. I found this mount and am going to build it myself. 60pounds ($90US) is a little steep. Should be able to build it for less than $10 US. Will give the old man something to do in the shop this winter. Mine won't have the fancy Yamaha tuning fork etched in, but I bet I can find a Yamaha sticker to put there. Really is a simple design. Will work perfect for my setup.
GPS Mount

IMG_7530.JPG

I use this exact mount. It really IS pricey but in retrospect I'm glad I bought it. Its nice having the GPS stationary as opposed to moving with the bars. I've had it for almost a year/8,000 miles and it has held up great so far.

My next project is to drill out a couple screw holes to mount a Sirius Starmate right where the Yamaha logo is. Hopefully I don't ruin it. :)

I've had mine on a shelf, then on the left bar mirror mount with a Ram, then on the center nut with a Ram. Now, I've gotten a valentine and am going to put it on the center Ram and put the GPS back on the handlebar. I prefer it there, because if I want to switch screens while traveling It is close at hand. On the shelf or in the center it is a farther reach. (Although I would never do anything with it while moving, as agreed to with Garmin)

QUOTE (LDR1 @ Dec 20 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still say "make your own bracket".

Puts the satnav where you want it, no vibration issues. May not look as shiny as a professional mount, but does an excellent job (though I say it myself
rolleyes.gif
).

Rider's view . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . General view of bracket

(Click on any image for a larger view.)

Side view of bracket . . . . . . . . . . General view of bracket

I have actually shortened the bracket since these photos were taken to move the satnav nearer the ignition key, to clear my tankbag.

Full description: here.

(I first posted this reply here.)

I had my Streetpilot on a Techmount stem nut stand, and now have my Zumo on a ram ball stem nut. I actually drilled and tapped out the Techmount stem nut as it is much thicker than the stock nut and gives you a lot more threads than the stock one. I also didn't want to drop $21 plus shipping for a stem nut from the vendor not to be named.

Several folks have said it is important that they have the GPS mounted so that it doesn't move with the bars. I don't really see how that is an issue of any importance. When you are riding the bars are always straight ahead anyway. The pressure you apply to the bars when negotiating turns only rotates the steering a very small amount except at parking lot speeds. My point is, don't let that be the determining factor.

I mount my Garmin with the suction cup universal mount. The suction cup secures nicely to my Storage compartment lid. Never a problem. When I am done riding it comes off and goes in the car or truck or Nomad or whatever. Another way would be to use industrial strength velcro. This stuff is very secure. My thing is to mak it easy on and easy off, leaving the bike as it was. It's only necessary for me to look at infrequently anyway. To each his own.

+1

I made my own before I found the Migsel.

I wanted the gps to stay with the frame and not move with the bars. I also didn't want the base and sat radio antenna to stay out overnight, so I added a quick connect to the power cord. Now I can remove the Zumo from the base, or unplug the power and audio cords and remove the whole unit in seconds.

LBJHSSTATS005.jpg

LBJHSSTATS006.jpg

LBJHSSTATS011.jpg

+1

I wanted the gps to stay with the frame and not move with the bars.

Not to denigrate your efforts. In fact yours is the first I have seen to use a ram ball mount on a non-moving base. But why is non-moving such a goal?

What's so bad about it moving?

Not a damn thing. The only time the position of the bar-mounted items changes seriously is in parking lot maneuvering, and you're not looking at the GOS then, are you?

I've never understood the "OMG!!!!11!!11 It moves with the bars!!!!111" panic mentality.

+1

I wanted the gps to stay with the frame and not move with the bars.

Not to denigrate your efforts. In fact yours is the first I have seen to use a ram ball mount on a non-moving base. But why is non-moving such a goal?

Not a big deal, but by mounting on the frame I didn't have to worry about another set of wires flexing between the frame and tripleclamp. I originally had the Zumo mounted on the tripleclamp and the antenna mounted on the clutch m/c. I noticed a lot of vibration in the antenna at certain RPMs, even with the bar weights. Condensing everything into one unit eliminated wire harness length and flex, helped to insulate the unit from vibration a little (less resonating type vibration out on the handlebars and maybe a little less direct path for road shock-the shock from the forks now has to travel through the steering head bearigs and frame before it gets to the unit) and got it out of the way of the gauges and easily within reach. As a bonus, I can rest hand/forearm on my tank bag to make it easier to work the Zumo's buttons/screen more accurately.