GPS Mounting Location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to have a Ram Bone, but only if it was to be able to unscrew down at the bolts where it mounts, then you could take it off when you were not in use and not have it sticking up there.

I would like to have a Ram Bone, but only if it was to be able to unscrew down at the bolts where it mounts, then you could take it off when you were not in use and not have it sticking up there.
Not sure I understand about your concern. 2 screws hold it on...easy to take off.

Not sure I understand about your concern. 2 screws hold it on...easy to take off.
When I read his original wording, I thought he was asking for the shaft to unscrew from the mounting base, so the base stays attached to the tank bolts, but the shaft can come off. (I might be wrong, though...)

I don't think the Migsel mount has been mentioned in this thread yet:

img5679cl.jpg

img5678j.jpg

I bought it from a forum member, but it's kind of spendy to purchase brand new.

https://www.migsel.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=17

It looks like they're coming out with an updated version soon.

SD531957.JPG

I used the Garmin cradle on a 4" RAM arm to mount a Nuvi 500. I chose it over the RAM cradle because the unit not only snaps in place, it has a spring loaded lever that then locks the unit in place. It also has a place to hold the power supply free from dirt and moisture when the unit is not in use. This setup makes good use of the space between the handle bars and the view of the instrument panel remains unobstructed. One thing to consider about using the Motorcyclelarry Tripple Tree Ram Ball Nut is that the GPS unit pivots with the handlebars.

Just finished installing a fused, 5v, 2.1amp weatherproof usb power supply. It fit nicely, just left of the ignition switch.

My next project will be to modify a Tourmaster Select 7L Ipad Pocket to snap into my Yamaha Expandable Tank Bag in place of the existing map pouch. It should fit nicely mounted horizontally (landscape) to my bag but it was designed to mount vertically (portrait) to the Tourmaster Select 7L bag. I hope to have a seamstress remove the two ears with snaps at top and the velcro piece at bottom. I then want to reattach four ears with snaps so that it snaps into place horizontally on my bag. With any luck, it should look as if it was made that way.

I've read that there are many issues with putting an Ipad in the map pouch on a tank bag. Mostly that they will over heat. This pouch seems to have a little ventilation built into the side, which on my bag, will be facing forward. Can't seem to find a better solution at this time so this is the plan.

Tourmaster%2520Select%25207L%2520Ipad%2520Pocket.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hobbes

I had one of the first iPads inserted inside my tank bag's map pocket. Had it wired up to my Starcom Digital. It worked really nice until I started driving in daylight. The thing overheated and shut down within 3 minutes in direct sunlight. There is no air exchange inside a map pouch. It's like a greenhouse inside there. I ended up draping an orange ShamWow over the top of it to keep the thing cool.

If you desire to run with an iPad, consider buying a LifeProof case for all weather riding and keep figure some way to attach it to the top of the bag. Better yet, I would love to see how it would look sitting on top of a dash shelf above the speedometer. That would be cool - a 7 inch diagonal GPS screen just below the line of sight.

DSC00554.jpg

Unfortunately that iPad went through the windshield with me 3 summers ago when I met a 2000 Chevy Silverado trying to occupy the same spot I was passing through.

I have a new bike now, but no matching iPad. Since then I upgraded from a Starcom Digital to the Sena Bluetooth system. I use an iPhone 4 as my GPS device. It is mounted in a Lifeproof case for all weather use. I chose the white case to keep it cool in direct sun. So far it has served me well up into triple digit heat. I haven't yet tried it out in sub freezing weather, living out here in sunny California we don't see much of that white stuff.

Below are a couple of pictures showing my "GPS" mount.

IMG_2667_zps6bd9322a.jpg

I have modified TechMount attached to my steering stem nut. Attached to it mid way is my Sena SM10 radio adapter. At the top is a modified RAM Ball fitted into a LifeProof bicycle mount sled. This case/sled set up forces me to run off my iPhone's battery, so I usually keep the GPS app. turned off until I actually need it. Paper maps fill the long distance void just fine, I get to see the big picture that way.

IMG_2672_zps7a61efcd.jpg

I like to have my mounts perform dual purposes. As you can see My GMRS radio and TPMS both mount to an adapter bracket mounted on top of my brake reservoir. That angled piece behind the radio also will mount my CB radio should I desire to use it instead. Also note the PTT button for my right index finger on the back of the handlebar switch pod.

I hope this gives someone some ideas for their bike.

rolleyes.gif

Brodie

Brodie, Thanks for the information and insight on the iPad. I'm really liking that LifeProof case. Probably need to rethink this once again.

Like HOBBES, I have the MCL RAM Ball Nut for attaching my TomTom Rider 2 GPS using the included (with the Rider 2) RAM arm and mount. I utilize a SAE connector going to the Rider to provide a waterproof and quick disconnect. The SAE connector is, in turn, connected to a mating SAE plug that goes to the aux. power in the glove box.

The nice thing is that the whole mount can be unplugged and unmounted in 15 seconds leaving only the MCL RAM ball exposed.

I think the position is great, it's easily adjustable and I don't experience vibration.

IMG_20131005_1901162_zps69eadc05.jpg

The ideal GPS location would be up above the gauges so you would not have to take your eyes off the road when doing a route check. That location is do-able on my DL1000 Manstrom, but alas, the electrically adjustable windshield of the FJR occupies that space on the Feejer.

I had thought about drilling a hole or holes in the shield and mounting a ram ball up there, but have never gone so far as to actually do it. Perhaps what we need is some sort of a bracket that mounts on the windshield bracket and will position the ram ball up the shield high enough not to interfere with the top of the dash when the sheild is fully lowered.

Oh, Dave... how busy are you these days?

I skipped the Aqua box, bought a waterproof GPS and went this way. MCL reservoir cover, RAM rotating arm. Sight line is perfect.

w26l.jpg

2mwo.jpg

6u0g.jpg

The ideal GPS location would be up above the gauges so you would not have to take your eyes off the road when doing a route check. That location is do-able on my DL1000 Manstrom, but alas, the electrically adjustable windshield of the FJR occupies that space on the Feejer.
I had thought about drilling a hole or holes in the shield and mounting a ram ball up there, but have never gone so far as to actually do it. Perhaps what we need is some sort of a bracket that mounts on the windshield bracket and will position the ram ball up the shield high enough not to interfere with the top of the dash when the sheild is fully lowered.

Oh, Dave... how busy are you these days?
You mean a like this location Fred?The only issue with this installation is, if you have installed a rifle adapter it doesn't work i think..perhaps the screen will hit the mount..?! https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150160-gps-mounting-location/?p=1031797

Like this?

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

You need to change the location of this micro switch to prevent the screen from going down too far...

IMG_3225.jpg

Nice job @rjen!!The gps looks great in this position!!

But the hole in the plastic..
rolleyes.gif
I wouldn't drilling a hole in my plastic..
scare.gif
no.gif
nea.gif
no2.gif
nono.gif

If you can close the most of the hole with a round self adhesive neopren pad,it will looks perfect!!

Yes, that is close to the idea I've had for a location, but there are a couple of problems for me with that install: Cutting the expensive tupperware to get the ball through is one, and not being able to lower the shield all the way is a complete deal breaker for me. In the warmer months I always run my shield down low, plus I run a Rifle tuning block on mine all year round and that allows the shield to go even lower and I like that capability a lot.

What I'm envisioning would be more of a bracket that attaches somehow to the upper windshield bracket, so it would have to be generationally specific. It would move up and down with the windshield and would be positioned along the inside surface of the shield. The top end of the bracket would have to be high enough up the shield so that the mounted GPS wouldn't foul on the upper edge of the dashboard and faring.

I'll have to mess around with the idea some more and try and mock something up.