GPS Suction Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger55

Reaction score
I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS that I would like to mount on my bike. I have a suction mount that came with the unit but am a little leery of using it on the motorcycle. Anyone using a suction mount successfully?

I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS that I would like to mount on my bike. I have a suction mount that came with the unit but am a little leery of using it on the motorcycle. Anyone using a suction mount successfully?

Spend the 30 dollars and get a ram mount. You'll be much happier.

A Nuvi will not last long mounted on a bike as they are designed for cars - you need to get a Garmin Zumo which is specifically designed for motor bikes, wire it into the bike and mount it on a ram mount.

I used a Nuvi on my wifes bike for a couple years on a suction mount. I used a piece of plexiglas bolted to a unused mirror mount. It worked just fine until she got hit head on by a pickup. The Nuvi ended up out in the trees somewhere but the suction cup never moved and was still in place when I got the bike out of the impound lot. YMMV

A Nuvi will not last long mounted on a bike as they are designed for cars - you need to get a Garmin Zumo which is specifically designed for motor bikes, wire it into the bike and mount it on a ram mount.

I've been using a Nuvi just fine for quite awhile. No issues. I use a RAM mount though. I think he will be just fine with a Nuvi provided its mounted properly.

I used a sc mount on the tank of my SV for a while. It worked ok but I tethered it to the tankbag 'just in case'.

Used a suction cup mount with the GoPro camera and it fell off within first 10 minutes. Luckly tethered. Then it held for 4000 miles. Problem with suction cup is that you only need to have a bit of leak once and it's gone. THe suction cup that comes with the NUVI is also no where near the quality of a suction cup from RAM. I think one of the RAM suction cups could hold the back tire on.

RAM also has some better mounts for the NUVI as well that when you click the NUVI into it, it has a little more protection and it held on a lot tighter.

I've been using a Nuvi in an Aqua Box on a RAM mount for nearly a year now...very solid and it performs well. Personally, I wouldn't trust the suction cup unless there was also a tether to keep it from flying.

I used the suction cup mount when I first got my Zumo. I just wanted to see how the Zumo worked. It seemed tight and secured. Made it about a mile from my house and looked down to see the Zumo had disappeared. Fortunetly upon doing a 180 I found it in the middle of the street with just a few scratches on the top of it. I was very lucky it didn't get run over.

After doing some internet research, I just ordered some RAM components for mounting my gps and camera. It looks like it should work fine.

Hey Coach,

Glad you ordered the RAM mounts. Absolutely the right thing. I think you mentioned your bike had a Powerlet or something to power the GPS, too, right?

I used a Nuvi for about a year before saving and ponying up for the Zumo 550. The Nuvi had been fine, except for one primary factor: it wasn't bright enough. The Zumo still "disappears" in very bright light or with the reflection of my dayglo jacket on occasion for me, but it's much brighter, and I feel safer not straining as much to see it as I had before. Still, they're a ridiculous high spend when compared with a Nuvi, especially when you consider that the software on the $800 device is 95% identical to a $200 one.

I would recommend looking for a hood or shade for your Nuvi that attaches with Velcro and two-sided tape. I may still have one in my buried gear and if I find it, will give it to you when out there.

Did you choose a center/stem mount, or something off the handlebars?

I got two different mounts (see pictures). One for the mirror mount on the clutch bracket and the other that mounts on the brake/clutch reservoir. There is a power outlet on the dash the the gps will plug into. I am a little reluctant about using the gps. I think it could be too much of a distraction. The thing I like about it is the Autocom plugs into it and I can use if for playing music and my phone will connect to the bluetooth so I can receive and make phone calls. We'll see how that goes. I kind of like being isolated from the world when I riding.

ramb349.jpg
[

rammount1.jpg
quote name='zip' timestamp='1303874635' post='851587']

Hey Coach,

Glad you ordered the RAM mounts. Absolutely the right thing. I think you mentioned your bike had a Powerlet or something to power the GPS, too, right?

I used a Nuvi for about a year before saving and ponying up for the Zumo 550. The Nuvi had been fine, except for one primary factor: it wasn't bright enough. The Zumo still "disappears" in very bright light or with the reflection of my dayglo jacket on occasion for me, but it's much brighter, and I feel safer not straining as much to see it as I had before. Still, they're a ridiculous high spend when compared with a Nuvi, especially when you consider that the software on the $800 device is 95% identical to a $200 one.

I would recommend looking for a hood or shade for your Nuvi that attaches with Velcro and two-sided tape. I may still have one in my buried gear and if I find it, will give it to you when out there.

Did you choose a center/stem mount, or something off the handlebars?